“Interesting place”

Dining options: Reservations
Auxvasse
“Interesting place”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Don't expect shiny floors and spotless modern furniture. This is an old place, cluttered with the past. Food is very good, very German and a lot of fun. Tables are close together and it is a party place.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank auxvasse

Columbia, Mo
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent German Restaurant”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Wonderful restaurant. We have been enjoying it for 20 years. The food is authentic and delicious, however, the menu goes beyond German cuisine, you can also get the best steaks and seafood, fresh oysters and escargot. Great imported wine and beer selection.
The owner and the staff are the best. Very helpful and professional.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank GermanMan788
Jefferson City, MO
“Awesome German food”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I went to this restaurant with family visiting from out of town. My favorite is the Wiener Schnitzel. Im not a super-adventurous diner but this hit the spot.

Visited March 2012
1 Thank sweet037
Merriam, Kansas
“Loved it!”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Let me first say that this was the first time I've ever had "authentic" German food.
It was awesome.
This restaurant has such a cool vibe. It's in an old house, in an out-of-the-way area by the hotel I always stay at. We ate on the bar side of the restaurant, and enjoyed awesome service along with the great food.
When we were done eating, Helmut - the owner and chef, came out and talked with us. What a nice guy! He asked if we'd like a tour of his restaurant? Of course! They had just finished remodeling the basement part of the restaurant, and the decor included original paintings that were his grandparents pre-WWII.
Overall just one of the best dining experiences I've ever had, and now I know I like German food!

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Partssales
Springfield, Illinois
“Really a lot of fun, and did it all about right”
Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

There are two sides to the place, a lounge side and a restaurant side. The food is the same for both, just depends on the ambiance you want.
My first thoughts when I came in was of some concern. The staff was INCREDIBLY friendly, and there were a lot of locals who clearly came regularly, but the menus scared me a bit. There were two menus ( a standard and a bistro menu) with a very wide range of items included. There was a good deal of German items mixed with seafood, steaks, sandwiches, really a little bit of everything. This type of menu usually results in failure. In this case, they pulled it off. Oysters were fresh, Schnitzel was perfectly crispy, pork was flavorful, salads were fresh. The food is not amazing or innovative, but it is good. The German food is mostly a greatest hits, and some authenticity is likely traded for availability of quality of ingredients, but none of that is a detractor.
The real star of the show is the service. I travel a lot, and I have never felt this at home as a stranger before. One noticeable reason for the success is clearly the owner. He is visible, on site, pleasant and involved. More often than not I see restaurants that fail at the basics, and this one excelled at all of them.

1 Thank spiil