“has potential but not good right now”
Review of Shep's Southside - CLOSED

Shep's Southside
Cuisines: American, Healthy
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff
Loose Creek Missouri
“has potential but not good right now”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Hubby and I went in for lunch last Saturday, waited for a table and thought that was great, they are popular. Well after waiting it was not worth the wait. My burger was to be well done and it was undercooked. The meat did not taste fresh, actually maybe a day past "good". The side of broccoli was way overcooked. The portion of broccoli was tiny. The tablespoon of avocado I paid extra for was not worth the extra money. We waited over half hour after ordering, tables sat after were eating. I am suspicious that communication between wait staff and kitchen is poor. Hubby ordered the steak sandwich special, he said " OK, nothing great". The quaint dining room and comfy setting has potential, the kitchen needs to catch up. Wait staff need to get some training.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank RacieKate

Jefferson City, Missouri
“Food is alway good!”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Small, out of the way location. I have been to Shep's for lunch and dinner, and enjoyed them both. From a sandwich, to a burger to the chicken pasta. It's all been good! Our first visit, we were with a group of 15 and the service was wonderful. It's a fun, local owned restaurant. The food has always been good, the service has gotten better. I hope the locals support this place. They have a few bottled beers and wine coolers.

• Visited April 2013
Jefferson City, MO
“They still have a ways to go”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Let me first say that the food itself is fabulous. The quality, once you get your order, is excellent. No complaints there. I would, however, have to echo the lack of customer service training.

I went to this restaurant at 7pm on a Wednesday evening. There were not very many people eating and a few servers. There were 5 other people in our party. After about 30 minutes, we were able to place our orders. 4 people received their food about 30-40 minutes after that. I waited for 45 minutes before finding out that they were out of baked potatoes, my side item. Rather than wait for them to prepare something else as a side, I just requested my food. Fast forward another 1/2 hour and I still didn't have food. My entire experience was an hour and a half and I never had a bite to eat. The total cost of my meal would have been $20, I was eventually apologize to with a $10 gift card. While the sentiment was nice, it was hardly compensation for my time. 1 other diner left without eating,either. 2 people from our party had steaks and had to ask for a steak knife twice. Once it came, our server was stunned that they both wanted one.

I know there was a new server there, but i also think that she was set up for failure since no one was there with her to train her properly. No one wanted to take responsibility for the shortcomings, they opted to throw the new girl under the bus. If you see someone struggling, for goodness sake, help her. Neither the manager or the more experienced server stepped in to help. That was disappointing.

I did return with my $10 gift card and my son during lunch on a Saturday, things ran much smoother and the food was excellent. I just wish eating there would be a consistently good experience.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank sweet037
Jefferson City, Missouri, United States
“Dining at Shep's Southside Restaurant a fun experience”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Shep's Southside Restaurant is in the Historical Old Munichberg area of Jefferson City. The menu features typical German food like brats with lots of extras to personalize them to taste. I've been there several times and have difficulty choosing between the steaks or the 'half a chicken'. The 'half chicken' is loaded with flavor and is crispy on the outside with tender moist meat inside.

The prices are lower than the chain restaurants, so I found it to be a good value especially for the quality of food.

I found the servers to be friendly, engaging and willing to provide extras to make the dining experience truly special. I will go back!

• Visited March 2013
Jefferson City, Missouri
“Small but good place to grab a burger.”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

They have a limited menu but the burger was good. Decent price, above par service. Beats the main stream burger chains.

• Visited January 2013