“Great value on Locals night”

Bells at Killcare Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #1 of 7 Restaurants in Killcare
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Have been to Bells many times and think the value of the Tuesday locals night at $39 for 2 courses and a glass of wine is exceptional.
I can understand the comments below when you are paying $52 a main but we do enjoy our nights - invariably they have a soup to start and whilst I would not normally order one, I always enjoy the flavour Bells manages.
My main gnocchi dish was one of the better pastas I have had for some time.
Whilst I understand Ian B's comments about GF pasta, my wife with her wheat allergies has almost given up on eating pasta in Australia - Bells is not unique here - but as Ian B says, this is no problem in the home of pasta Italy.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Started poorly and never got better. One of the diners was GF, this was communicated and acknowledged at the time of booking and not communicated to staff. Don’t expect to get much assistance from the waiters of GF either. Particularly the waitress that seemed like she wanted to be at home with her boyfriend or somewhere else. The menu is one third pasta and they had not GF pasta? I managed to have great GF pasta in top restaurants in Italy over summer and it’s in the local store in Killcare also. We ordered two octopus and pawns with olives and they were completely different dishes with sauce splashed all over the plates. The one thing in common was they tasted like olive tapenade … not what was orders, the plating was totalling inconsistent. The pork main was dry and over cooked; the cracking had far too much fat and all was drowned in sauce … you can imagine how I felt forking out $52 for that plate. During the meal the waiter came and removed the olive oil that was empty … yes there was bread still left on the table so why not fill the olive oil dish? Desert did not reach par either, we decided to go for the ice creams and sorbet. Well the plating was far less that Marque, Sepia and a host of others. As I said in my review, my 20 years son does a much better job and he is not even trying to be a chef. All they could manage to do was throw 5 scoops in one large bowl … give me a break. It’s sad to say but I have since heard my partner’s daughter had a similar experience in the same restaurant and separately another bad experience in the sister restaurant one Manfredi at Balla in Star City.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

I should say at the start that my husband and I travel to Europe frequently, and enjoy both the food and wine. I had read good reviews of Bells and the Scuola di Vino seemed an excellent way to celebrate his birthday.

The evening was set to start at 7, when we arrive at about six minutes to the hour the reception desk adopted an extremely abrupt manner and said "you'r too early, it doesn't start till 7, you will have to wait in the bar".

We went along to the bar thinking we might have a drink. It was a warm evening so I thought
an Uzo on ice would be pleasant, after about five minutes of looking barman admitted he didn't have any and offered us a drinks list. The list was mostly of wine, but there were some cocktails, we chose a martini, We had one each but at $18.50 it was one of the most expensive cocktails we had had for a long time.

The Scuola was great fun, the company was very good and there was good discussion about the wine. I do think however there was a shortage of food and there could have been more offered in the way of vegetables, I don't remember seeing the crumbed pigs ear and I had looked forward to that particular antipasto.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

This was quite simply one of the best dining experiences I have had. The service from our Italian waiter was friendly and attentive. We sat outside overlooking the beautifully manicured and extensive garden area. We ordered entrees to share including the antipasto cured meats and a dozen fresh oysters which were divine. It would be an understatement to characterise the wine list as extensive! It runs for 25 pages and is sure to have a wine that suits everyone's taste and budget.

We ordered mains to share consisting of the Fish & Seafood stew with barley and roast suckling pig. They were 1st class in presentation and taste. The serves are not large but in my opinion just right leaving a little room for desert which was also terrific. The William pear and hazelnut strudel and mixed Gelati and Sorbetti desert went down a treat accompanied by an excellent cafe latte.

This was truly a 5 Star experience that I don not hesitate to recommend.

1  Thank Lee M
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stefano Manfredi has created a beautiful setting to enjoy his wonderful food. The ambience, the style of the restaurant and of course the food. Most of the herbs and vegetables are grown on the property and are picked fresh daily. The wine list is superb and the sevice first class. Try the quail..a delight

2  Thank Colin W