“What a great experience for all.”
Review of Zoodoo Zoo

Zoodoo Zoo
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Derwent River Valley and Coal River Valley Tour...
Ranked #5 of 28 things to do in Richmond
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Useful Information: Stroller parking, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This place is a little gem. It is essentially a petting zoo where you get up close and personal with wallabies, kangaroos, koalas, Tasmanian devils (not too close) and many more. The trip round the paddocks in the Safari Jeep is exciting especially meeting the emus. There is also a small farm animal section with rabbits,and hens(chooks) among others. If you are lucky enough you may be able to feed the tiger. The zookeepers have a great sense of humour too. I went with my husband, my daughter and granddaughter and we all had a good day out so it suits all age groups. We got loads of photos to take home to the UK. Its a short drive out of Hobart but worth the effort..

1  Thank emcee1944
in 13 reviews
"meerkat experience"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed April 26, 2013

I recently went here with a very excited 4 year old, she loved it but I came away feeling depressed and saddened. I feel for the animals and believe that the staff should be more wary of what they allow the public to do with them. Walking into enclosures unsupervised was concerning for the animals and I found the "train" to be very dangerous with many children very frightened. I was bitten by an emu and when I mentioned it, the driver laughed. Let's just say it hurt a lot and I'm
glad it was me and not a child. I simply found the lack of staff, care of animals and general cleanliness to be sub-standard. I won't be going back in a hurry.

6  Thank KatieR84
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We were off the Celebrity Cruise Ship Solstice on a day tour with Tasmania I Drive Tours and as the Dawn Princess was already in port our driver, Vicki said that with the two cruise ships in port, with thousands of tourists, Tasmania Zoo would be overcrowded so she took us to ZooDoo.

This has the feel of a family run type of establishment. Not as slick as I would think the larger Tasmania Zoo would be, some of the enclosures were a bit hokey, but we were able to have personal contact with the animals, including the obligatory photo with a Koala and hearing it roar, who knew they made such a noise.

Going into a large paddock with Kangaroo, Lama, and Deer with a handful of their food was a buzz. The albino Wallaby with the white fur and red eyes looking like a massive over grown rat and to see a Tasmanian Devil for the first time and to be shown a 3 week old was very interesting.

ZooDoo also have Lions and Tigers all they are missing are some Bears.

Not knowing what the more well-known Tasmania Zoo is like I would say ZooDoo was a good option while avoiding the crowds at Tasmania Zoo

Reviewed April 10, 2013

We enjoyed the setting, with animal cages spaces randomly, a safari buss to see larger animals in the park, and friendly helpful rangers.