“Great value-perfect for travelers on a budget”
Review of Naylamp

Naylamp
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Huanchaco
Reviewed May 29, 2010

There aren't that many hostels in Huanchaco to choose from. This one is a good choice. There are two parts to the hostel which is divided by a narrow street. The rooms close to the front desk are smaller and cheaper than the rooms on the hill. (back part of the hostel) We stayed in the back part and we had an ocean view room. There is a patio there where you can sit and overlook the ocean. There is also camping spots available on the hostel grounds. There is a restaurant in the hostel where you can get pretty good food at a reasonable price. You can also get food delivered to your room which is a nice touch. Because it's located in the very northern part of Huanchaco, it was quiet which was nice. Overall, it was a nice place to stay. If you love horseback riding, do not leave Huanchaco without riding a Peruvian Paso. Give Ricardo or Arturo a call when you're there if it's something you want to do (their brochure is in the hostel) #94 [--]. We went several times (once to Chan Chan ruins) and it was amazing. The horses were beautiful and healthy. One of the nicest horseback riding experiences i've ever had. This is the place we'll stay at next time we're in Huanchaco.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 6, 2010

We found the Hostel Naylamp online and took a gamble on it. A reservation email was returned promptly, and didn't require a credit card. Getting there was also easy. We took a day bus (about 8 hours with a stop for lunch) to Trujillo, and a cab from Trujillo to the neighboring beach town of Huanchaco. The cab ride was not expensive, and the driver knew where Naylamp was. It's on the main oceanfront road through town, though well past the pier.

The place is actually on two properties, one is on the ocean block and one the block behind. I would definitely recommend the second row. It's elevated a bit above the first row rooms and has a really nice deck area with patio furniture and space to hang out. The camping area is also on this block. We didn't camp, but spent time over there because that's where the kitchen and covered outdoor eating area were. In retrospect, I'd give camping a try! It was very well equipped with showers and toilets for men and women, and very clean. There were trees for hammocks and nice views of the ocean.

Breakfast was not included, but the hostel's restaurant was the cheapest option on the beach and made amazing pizza. The group kitchen was well equipped and accessible. Our room was great-- double bed, TV, bathroom with hot water, for about 25 soles a night. First floor rooms are cheaper than second floor rooms.

The town is absolutely beautiful. We went down to the beach every day and rented surfboards for the day, with lessons. The price for that was about 40 soles, or around 12 dollars. It was the off-season, so the beach wasn't too crowded. The seafood was plentiful here, and I recommend trying as much as you can. Our best meal was at a unlikely looking restaurant, but it proved a great find. We even stayed an extra day, and Naylamp was very accomodating!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 11, 2009

My wife, daughter and myseld stayed at Naylamp after a 5 day trek to Machu Pichu. We found the place; clean, affordable and very friendly. There are two sections to the Hotel. The front half has the entry / office and a nice restaurant . The back half is across the alley from the front and sits one flight up from the alley level. They are in the process of adding a second floor to the back half which will increase capactiy by several beds. However the construction did not disturb us as they are very good about limiting work times to 10-5.
The restaurant had good breakfasts and really good juices.
I like the location because it is a little removed from the town center. Only a five to ten minute walk to downtown but the distance makes Naylamp much quiter that other locations.
finally the staff was extemly friendly and helpfull. My spanish is not to strong but i had no problems.
If i were to go back to Huanchaco I would not hesitate to stay at Naylamp!

Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 5, 2009

Went to Naylamp after reading good reviews. Just finished the Inka Trail 4-day hike. Needed respite. Found it. Paid extra money for ocean view, private room with tv. Great Hostal. Laundry, cafeteria, right on the beach. Husband surfed. Huanchaco is a small beach town. A big change from Cuzco. Very relaxing.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 2, 2008

After a trek in Cusco, we decided to hit the seaside for a relaxing few days on the beach to recover. Huanchaco was the perfect choice, a cozy little surfer/fishing village offered all of the necessary ammenities, but with very few people around.

The Naylamp was full most nights, and was quiet throughout. On the first couple of nights there was a rowdy group but they left pretty soon thereafter.

Each room is cleaned daily, and cleaned very well. With the amount of sand that is carried in each day, it's amazing how they keep it so clean. There is no breakfast provided.. but you can by it at the hostel's restaurant for dirt cheap. The rest of the food for dinner/lunch is also quite good and very cheap. I highly recommend their mango smoothies which I had at least 2 times a day.

There was a slight ant problem in the room that would have been better without. Not too big of a deal though and not a mosquito to be found in the whole city.

There is wireless internet if you have a laptop, and and internet room if you don't. They have laundry service as well if you need it.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank losttravelling
Reviewed September 5, 2008

My daughter and I just returned from Peru where we spent a week in Huanchaco. We stayed at Naylamp and were impressed by everything about this place. The rooms and the area were spotless but with tons of character. We stayed one night in a room in the lower level. It was a nice room but I was travelling with my teenage daughter and I wanted a room with a TV to keep her entertained in the evenings. We were moved the next day to the back of the complex, across an alley, up some stairs and into a courtyard surrounded by rooms and a lovely ocean view. The room we moved to had a window looking to the ocean and a tv so we were both satisfied.
This is a well run, clean and friendly hostal in a friendly town with a plethora of restaurants (be very careful with the seafood as I became very ill after eating it in 2 different restaurants).
Naylamp has a small restaurant with simple, cheap and good food (Italian?....most of Peru seems to fascinated with pizza!!).
The staff are exceptionally friendly and helpful although only a couple spoke English.
I would highly recommend this hostal to anyone going to this part of Peru.
By the way, we were there in late winter (August) and it was cloudy for about half the time we were there and sunny for the rest so we got lucky in the weather department.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank AprilandGilly
Reviewed November 11, 2007

I stayed here for an entire month in June 2007. I did not see much of Peru aside from Huanchaco, Trujillo and surrounding areas in northern Peru, but it can't possibly be much cheaper to stay ANYWHERE than it was to stay here. I got a deal on my room since I was here for an entire month, but even the regular price for an ocean front room (a view you'd pay hundreds of dollars a night for in California) is like $10 a NIGHT.

Naylamp is directly across the street from the ocean. Walk out the door, cross road, and you are on the beach. Walk out the door, turn left, and you are on the main strip with lots of restaurants. I ate at Otra Cosa, the vegetarian restaurant next door almost every night, but there were lots and lots of other choices. Huanchaco, is a kind of booming beach resort town, apparently, during the summer. I was there in late fall/winter (June) when it was pretty dead.

Pushing 40, I was definitely older than the average guest here. This place caters mostly to the 20-something backpacking crowd. But one reason for posting this review here is to encourage us older folks (um...anyone over 30 that is) to go here and establish a presence! There were some other older folks who came through while I was there. We all stayed in the upper level, nicer, more expensive rooms. This place is wonderful. The location is fabulous. The amenities are fabulous, the views are great. Most staff speaks minimal or no English, but the manager did speak English.

The staff here is the most hardworking group of people I've ever seen. The place is spotless and incredibly well maintained.

Naylamp is built on two levels. The lower level has rooms surrounding an open air courtyard where two tortoises roam freely. There is also a cafeteria serving breakfast and Italian food (don't ask me why) in the lobby. There is a tv in the lobby. Up a flight of stairs above the cafeteria/tv/lobby area there is another sitting area with a view of the ocean.

There is also internet available on site, when it works. I think it was functioning about 60% of the time I was there. That's okay, there is cheaper, reliable, internet and a much nicer set up (AND cheaper) just up the beach at the Western Union building)

The upper level of Naylamp is across a narrow alley that separates the two levels. You cross the alley, open the door and climb up one of two flights of stairs. To the left, the stairs take you to a camping area. There is also a kitchen facility in the camping area. I kept some food in the refrigerator in the camping area. To the right, there are the prime rooms (where I stayed). These are the rooms up the hill with a beautiful patio and view of the ocean. I think all the rooms (except mine) had tvs in the upper level. I traded a tv for a window facing the ocean. My room also had had pretty reliable hot water. I think, in theory, the rooms on the lower level had hot water, but my impression was that was pretty spotty.

Definitely stay in the upper level rooms and leave the lower level to the backpackers.

2  Thank beeArm1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huanchaco
Hospedaje Oceano
#3 of 39 in Trujillo
Huanchaco Hostal
Huanchaco Hostal
#6 of 12 in Huanchaco

Been to Naylamp? Share your experiences!