“Very good service, limited food options”

Hotel Paracas, A Luxury Collection Resort, Paracas
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Paracas
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed June 1, 2014

I have travelled to Paracas many times in the past. I could say I grew up there. The hotel has been renovated several times, and now is probably at its best I ever remember it.
We traveled during the week (not on weekend) and the place was relatively empty, which was great for spending some calm, relaxing time. There were no more than 5 people at the pool. The rooms were in excellent shape, all the staff was always smiling and ready to help with anything.
Nevertheless, we had a bad experience with the food. It's overpriced, and the quality is average at best. It's a shame, considering all the wonderful food you can find in Peru. It's more expensive and worse than many good restaurants in Lima. We ended up returning a plate because was awful. So bad there's not even a selection of local food! They should fire the chef right now and do something! or, they could easily give the restaurant to one of the local upscale chains and it would be much better. Only some of the bar food (sandwiches or pizzas) were acceptable.
The big problem with food is that, if you don't know the area or don't have a car, then you're stuck. There's a very good restaurant driving 5 minutes away (El Piloto) that you can try for lunch, they have typical Peruvian food at reasonable prices. There are many other places in the nearby town of "El Chaco" with varying quality and level, but you need to be careful with what you eat.
Finally, notice that even though it's seafront, this is not a beach resort. If you want some good beaches, your best option from here is driving to the Paracas reserve to the "La Mina" o "El Raspon" beaches, it's a 20 to 30 minute drive, half on gravel roads. You need to go early before they get crowded.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Xavier V, Gerente at Hotel Paracas, A Luxury Collection Resort, Paracas, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2014

Dear Tito,

Thank you for choosing us for your stay in Paracas and for taking your time for posting a review here in Tripadvisor.

We're pleased to know that you've had overall a nice time with us and that you've enjoyed our facilities in a comfortable way.

To be fair, I do respect your comments about the food and we're ready to listen all your suggestions concerning our gastronomic proposal, as they are unvaluable to understand our guest wishes. Nevertheless, I think it's such a pity you didn't appreciate our Peruvian dishes, which are shown in the first page of the Ballestas menu; or that you didn't enjoy our Chalana restaurant, with its simple but special offer: cebiches, tiraditos, causas and chalacas.

I'm afraid we'll keep our chef for years. We are proud of him and I assure you that it's a pleasure to work with him and listen to his ideas about food and life. I would be very happy if next time we can spend a good time talking together, listen to each other, sharing experiences.

So thanks again, Tito, and please do not hesitate in contact me to arrange all the details of your next reservation. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back in person.

Best regards,

Xavi Vega

Write a ReviewReviews (1,617)

Reviewed May 28, 2014

With no doubt a great experience in terms of hosts smiling, great food, service, all the confort you can think of, beautiful terraces, enchanting gardens, gorgeous pools, and a beautiful sun that I know is all year round. a1.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Xavier V, Gerente at Hotel Paracas, A Luxury Collection Resort, Paracas, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing us for your stay in Paracas and for sharing your advice here in Tripadvisor.

We are glad to know that your stay with us was fully satisfying. This kind of comments make us stronger to keep on improving our quality standards.

I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Warms regards,

Reviewed May 18, 2014

I stayed at the Hotel Paracas a few years ago and while the upkeep of the grounds, facilities and the rooms remain stellar, I found a lot of inconsistencies when it came to the staff.

First, the good: Rooms are spacious, cozy terrace with a table and 2 chairs (perfect for drinking some wine after a day at the pool), the bathroom has a huge bathtub as well as a walk-in shower, bathroom amenities are five star, plenty of towels, very comfortable bed. As far as the room goes, the only complaint I had was that the lowest the a/c would go is 18.5 Celsius. I like it cold (16-17) when I sleep. The grounds and both pools are immaculately kept. The main pool is one of my favorites in all of South America. They also have kayaks and body boards you can use free of charge, but the staff at the activities area of the resort were far from helpful and I felt like I was inconveniencing them by asking to use the equipment.

Now, the not so good: Treatment of guests by the staff is very inconsistent. I'm a SPG Gold member and, because of that, I am supposed to get a free upgrade upon check-in, a welcome amenity and late checkout until 4 pm (all of these are of course based on availability). I booked the hotel a week before arriving and since there was plenty of availability at the time of booking, I was pretty confident I would be able to check out at 4, since my bus to Lima left shortly after. That didn't happen. The front desk clerk upon check in (Jhonatan) was professional, but far from friendly/helpful. He didn't even acknowledge my SPG Gold status and I actually had to ask about the room upgrade since he never offered it to me. I had to ask about the late check out as well, and was handed a sheet of paper indicating a big group was arriving the next day and that all guests were to check out by 12 (a rather odd way of notifying guests in a five star establishment). I explained that I'd still like a late check out since not every guest in the large group tomorrow would be arriving early, and was told I must talk to the front desk in the AM.

So, that night I called to the front desk, asked for ice to be delivered to the room (it was, and very quickly) and asked for a 7:15 am wake up call since I had a tour the next morning that left at 8:10.. The wake up call never came and fortunately I was woken up by a phone call at 7:45, just in time to make the 8:10 start of the tour of the Ballestas Islands I had booked through the hotel. I had less than 1/2 hour to get ready and failing to make a wake up call (that I reminded the front desk employee about twice) is not acceptable for a resort of this quality.

That said, I spoke with the front desk manager that morning - first and foremost about the wake up call. Then, about the SPG Gold situation in regard to the late checkout. I expressed frustration that the hotel seemed to be giving preference to large groups over loyal SPG members and he was very accommodating and understanding. While he didn't give me a late check out, he offered me a complimentary buffet breakfast (it wasn't in my rate) and even went as far as reserving a private cabana at the pool for me so I could use the facilities until 4 PM. As a management employee, he went above and beyond, and I very much appreciated that.

However, many of the front desk staff needs additional training (I mentioned the same thing in my review of Hotel Paracas a few years ago) on better customer service skills.

The overall rating of three was a bit challenging because the facilities and rooms truly deserve a rating of five, but the inconsistent service I experienced from several members of the staff negatively offset this amazing property.

Room Tip: I had Villa 324, which had a partial view of the ocean. Ask for a villa on the 2nd floor for the vie...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Matthew P
Xavier V, Gerente at Hotel Paracas, A Luxury Collection Resort, Paracas, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2014

Dear Matthew,

First of all, let me say thank you for giving us the opportunity of welcome you back some years after your first visit.

On the other hand, we're pleased to know that you've found our facilities as well kept as usual and that you have, overall, a pleasant stay with us.

I find your comments unvaluable as they are an excellent tool to keep on improving our customer skills. We'll keep on working hard to avoid the inconveniences you've mentioned on your post.

I'm afraid that our service was not at your expectations level even though we've found what we supposed to be a good solution, giving you the use of a day bed for free just to spend the rest of the afternoon with no charge at all. I'm sure next time we'll improve our communication to assure you the services you deserve.

Finally, I don't want you to think we privilegiate some guests on others. We use to treat you all with lots of care and respect because that's the way we understand our job.

So thanks again, Matthew, we hope to see you again. Do not hesitate in contact me to arrange all the details of your next stay with us.

Warm regards from Paracas,

Reviewed May 12, 2014

Nestled alongside the ocean, Hotel Paracas is ideally located for a quiet and enjoyable stay. The buildings, architecture and layout are very beautiful. However, I wasn't blown away by the service--our arrival was not incredibly warm and welcoming. After a long morning of dusty travel, it would be nice to be offered a seat and a cold drink while checking in, for instance. We enjoyed the breakfast buffet in the morning and the restaurant at the end of the boardwalk, by the ocean provides a stunning setting for happy hour and a bite to eat.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Xavier V, Gerente at Hotel Paracas, A Luxury Collection Resort, Paracas, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2014

Dear Megan,

We do appreciate your nice comments about the hotel and its layout and our different restaurants and bars, as far as they have meet your expectations.

I also take in consideration your opinion about the service and I assure you that we will work to improve it and make it warmer and more efficient.

Megan, thanks again. We hope we can welcome you back very soon.

Best regards,

Reviewed May 12, 2014

Great location, rooms are ample and well kept. Service is excellent. Pool beautiful. A place to stay in the middle of nothing; food is excellent. Only negative is the beach, sand is dark, water cold and full of dangerous species. Summary, a great place with no beach, although it is on the ocean.
Recommend a visit to the Natural Preserve of Paracas (Reserva Natural de Paracas) an extraordinary place that combines beautiful skies and ocean with dark dunes. unforgettable!

Room Tip: Choose any room in the front lane.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Alfredo,

Thanks for your nice comments and for sharing your advice here in Tripadvisor.

We're glad to know that your time with us was nice and you've enjoyed our gastronomic proposals as well as our equipments.

As we are in the Natural Preserve, we have to respect our natural environment so the beach and its natural species should be keep and mantain as they are, I'm really sorry if it didn't meet your expectations.

So, in behalf of all the team we say thank you for your post and we look forward to welcome you back soon.

Warm regards from Paracas,

Reviewed May 4, 2014

This a new relatively new hotel, which replaces the old one badly damaged by a Tsunami. The old layout has been preserved and the rooms are spacious and comfortable, but all the pathways,and there are many, are concrete and that detracts from the beauty of the location. Food was good without being exceptional, but service was somewhat disorganised same question asked by different waiters, also quite slow. Staff well intentioned and friendly but some training is needed. Also there is a charge for WiFi of about $10/day. Should be free at prices charged

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Bruno G, Gerente at Hotel Paracas, A Luxury Collection Resort, Paracas, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank very much for your comments and your feedback.
We are constantly training our staff focused on quality standards of our brand, I will let know to our executive committee your comments.

We hope to see you soon

Jose Eduardo Arteaga
Roosm Division Manager

Reviewed May 3, 2014

We are at the end of a trip to Peru that included Machu Picchu and the Amazon. Great facility with wonderful amenities. This is a great way to finish off an adventurous trip in this great country.

The only reason I did not rate it as a five star as I greatly resent the greed of charging for wi fi. If they can't make it on the rack rate then raise the rate. Nickel and dime charges are bot the stuff of great hotels.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Bruno G, Gerente at Hotel Paracas, A Luxury Collection Resort, Paracas, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments, we are happy to know that your stay was wondeful.
We have free wi fi in all public areas of the Hotel.

We hope to see you soon