“Very bad customer service!”

Hotel Paracas, A Luxury Collection Resort, Paracas
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Paracas
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed December 22, 2013

The hotel is in a beautiful setting. The bungalows are acceptable, clean and welcoming. There were 42 guests in the hotel (it houses more than 100,) we paid for a room with a view to the ocean front. We were given a unit facing a nice little garden. When we finally got to the "room with a view" there was no hot water. We registered a complaint but we did not have hot water for 3 straight days!!!

At the restaurant we were seated next to 10 noisy people. This was anoying because nobody else was in the room. After asking to be moved, we were seated next to the kitchen, we could hear all the talk among the cooks and waiters. At the bar, alcohol was served to the wrong person (thank God nobody was allergic!)

These are few examples of the poor service we got. Nobody took responsibility and when, finally, the third day, we were contacted by the "room manager" he excused himself by saying he had been away. The personel, though very nice and courteous, was VERY POORLY TRAINED!

It is very annoying to pay 5 star hotel prices and receive 1 star service. I would not recommend this hotel to anybody. It was a bad experience over all.

Room Tip: Don't choose ANY room. Just avoid the hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank 423angelas
Bruno G, Gerente at Hotel Paracas, A Luxury Collection Resort, Paracas, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2013

Dear Guest ,

We kindly appreciate your comments

We would like to inform you that we give follow up to every guest solving as soon as possible any inconvenient.
Our Room assignment hang upon kind of room reserved , special requests , in case there were not availability for the kind of room a Guest has requested we provide an upgrade.
The place assigned at our main Restaurant are according to the availability, otherwise our Hostess will ask you where do you prefer to be place, whether inside the Restaurant or at the Terrace.

One more time, thank you very much for your opinion is very important to us, so we can improve at critical points mentioned and provide better service

Best Regards,

Reviewed December 20, 2013

Fabulous hotel. My wife loved it. The service is fantastic from the moment you walk in there is ample help to get you to your room. The rooms were great. The food was excellent. My wife thought the octopus with olive sauce was the best octopus she has ever had. Cooked just right as many times it is overcooked. The bar is great and the music was not overpowering. Sitting by the fire place is soothing. The grounds of the hotel are immaculate and every day we saw someone trimming the plants.
Our boat ride to the Ballestas island was a nature persons dream with beautiful natural arches and the birds: penguins, sea lions, pelicans and boobies. Would definitely return. Only drawback is driving from Lima takes almost 4 hours due to heavy traffic getting out of Lima and going thru Chincha.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Bruno G, Gerente at Hotel Paracas, A Luxury Collection Resort, Paracas, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments.
we are pleased to read that you love the Hotel Paracas and we are very delighted you find our property amazingly beautiful, we are really happy that you have had a remarcable moments in our Hotel and also It´s surroundings .
Wish to welcome you personally if you decide to come again,
Best Regards,

Reviewed December 16, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Paracas for four nights at the end of a 17-day Peru trip in September.

Despite the generally positive and useful reviews here, we were surprised by how much we liked this place. If we had to do it over again, we easily could have spent another day or two.

Getting There

We took buses back and forth to Lima, which is north of Paracas, about 3.5 hours each way. (There might be a small Peruvian airline that flies to some town not too far from Paracas, but its flight schedule didn’t fit our schedule so I didn’t look into how regularly or reliably it runs.) We took a company called Cruz del Sur on the way down and another called Oltursa on the way back. We got the better seats (I believe they were called VIP or something like that) both ways, in the downstairs sections of the buses, because they have more legroom. The seats were recliners with foot rests with plenty of room and quite comfortable. We're not talking Greyhound here, folks. The two seemed almost identical, though CdS seemed just a bit spiffier. Its Lima bus station was fine as well, and even had a small lounge upstairs for VIP passengers. We took Oltursa on the way back because it had a morning bus coming back to Lima whereas CdS didn't. Anyway, while based on our own experience I found both of them fine, I did see one recent post at Tripadvisor.com saying that Oltursa stranded folks on the side of the road for several hours while waiting to get their bus repaired.

To make a long story short, the CdS English website was kind of confusing and I couldn't fathom the Oltursa website since it's all in Spanish and I only speak a smattering of the language. So we asked the concierge desk at another hotel to get the tickets for us early in our trip. I'd imagine you could also do it at the CdS offices or through a travel agent while in Peru.

The ride down was comfortable, though they play some of the movies in the buses kind of loud. (The movie selection wasn't so bad, however, so we watched a couple.) You might want to bring ear plugs or an Ipod with you. Most of the ride is flat and kind of boring...not very scenic at all. You pass by some pretty poor and desolate areas along the way.

I'd imagine there are taxis at the Paracas bus station, but we didn't look since we arranged a very cheap pick-up from the hotel. The CdS bus station isn't all that far from town, maybe a fifteen minute walk, but the walk along the road didn't look to be especially nice (though not dangerous, as Paracas seemed like a pretty safe area to my admittedly uneducated eye) so I'd opt for the hotel ride even if you're traveling very light.

The hotel

Really, really nice in most respects. Nice rooms and beautiful grounds. Most employees were great, though the restaurant hostess and at least one of the restaurant managers were cold bordering on haughty on more than one occasion.

Beautiful grounds for this seaside resort, with nice sunset views. Rooms quite good…they were large, quite, clean, etc. If I recall correctly, most of the rooms are two-unit affairs, one upstairs (which is to be preferred) and one downstairs. All have balconies for hanging out.

My being a Starwood Platinum, we were fortunate enough on our cash plus points stay to be upgraded to a suite, part of a row of rooms facing out on the water. (Well, all of the rooms face out on the water, but the ones further back have their views partly blocked.) I don’t know if folks should necessarily expect such luck, though, as we were there in September, a relatively slow time of the year. (I think the peak would be November through March, the summer along this part of the Peruvian Coast.) In any event, the suites consist of two large rooms, one being the bedroom of course and the other the living area. We first were in 126, which also had two bathrooms. We then moved to 346, which “only” had one bathroom but which also has a very small dipping pool that’s like a hot tub. One day it didn’t seem to warm up enough (even though we had it serviced by a technician) but the other day it did, so it was a mixed experience. But sitting in it that one day was nice, and I guess during the Peruvian coast summer the heat might not be necessary. I don’t know what term the hotel uses for the hot tub suite, but it’s worth asking for.

Now, why did we move? This gets to my only real complaint about the hotel, which (together with the more minor matter of the restaurant staff) is why I give it four stars instead of five: There was loud music booming from both pools, which we were situated in-between. Not so bad that I couldn’t screen out most of it with earplubs, but still a hassle. So we asked to move, and 346 (which is toward one end of the resort, at the opposite end from one pool and not too close to the other) was much better in that regard (not to mention that hot tub!). Still, on our last full day there, they seemed to crank up the music at the pool, with the same loop of pop songs over and over again. (Perhaps it was louder that day because it was a Saturday and the hotel was busier…I don’t know.) I still have Cyndy Lauper’s “Girls Just Want to Have Fun” running through my head three months later. (Now, if the loop consisted of Springsteen songs, I would have asked them to crank up the volume.) I recognize that I’m not the most noise-tolerant person, and it seemed to be fine with the main clientele, Peruvians, so I didn’t ask the hotel to turn it down and am not sure what would have happened if I had.

Also, it is worth noting the the music would not be as intrusive for the units set further back from the pools and seas.

Though we didn’t use them, the pools were pretty nice. One even had a small heated section to hang out in during the evening, though the temperature was just a tad on the cool side for our tastes.

We ate most nights in town (more on that below), but the one night we ate at the hotel the meal was good. Nice breakfast buffet as well.

The setting/location

Beautiful, green and by the sea. But this is not a beach resort. The water’s too cold, and at least when we were there full of large jellyfish.

Nevertheless, the location is great for a lot of reasons. For one thing, there is an incredible bird sanctuary on offshore islands about a twenty-minute boat ride away (on pretty placed waters). More birds than I’ve ever seen, plus lots of sea lions lazing on the rocks of the islands. Many, many thousands upon thousands perched on those rocks (where they leave guano for harvesting every few years). We’re not bird watchers by any means, but this was really something. You can book a boat via the hotel, which leaves right from the hotel, or simply stroll over to town to do the same for half the price. But the hotel boat is smaller than many leaving from town – perhaps 16 versus 24 people? – and that taken with the reliability of booking that way made it worthwhile for us.

Oh, also, from the boat you can see on the hillside one of the famous Nazca lines. Though from Paracas you can arrange to ride out to an airstrip for aerial views of those lines, seeing one of them was enough for us.

We like being near a town where we can wander in for local restaurants, both for food quality and to save some $$. It’s just about a ten minute stroll to the north, to the small resort town of Paracas from the hotel, which was great. (You can walk along the beach during the day and along the decently illuminated street at night.) Some good, inexpensive, basic seafood places. They are not heated, though, so in the cool September evenings we were glad we had a few layers on.

More generally, the town is pleasant. Nothing really fancy, but friendly with some tourist shops, a few places to get basic supplies, and a number of restaurants, many of them on a boardwalk area running along the water. I’d imagine that during the summer it would be a lot busier than when we were there.

The town will become less basic over time, I believe. Though not obvious from strolling around, I understand that it is still rebuilding from a devastating earthquake about ten years (???) ago, but more hotels are coming into the area, one being built right on the other side of town from the HP. It would not surprise me if on the one hand it became much more crowded over the next decade but on the other hand some nice things came with that, such as upscale restaurants for those interested.

To the south, of the hotel, you can take a nice stroll along a path and then along a beach, past various beach houses that I guess folks use mainly for summer and/or weekend homes. Especially early morning, there were lots of pelicans and other birds to be seen along the shore, along with some really large and kind of interesting jellyfish in the water or washed up on the shore. The walk ends at the beginning of a nature reserve, with signs to stay out, though I didn’t see any sign of any guards that would keep one from walking farther.

From the hotel, you’re mainly looking out to sea and at an arid Martian landscape in the hills across the water, as this is a desert area. Kind of dramatic and beautiful in its own way.

This was the end of our Peru trip, so we were mostly in the mood for just hanging out. But there were good options for half-day and full-day trips to bop around the region. If we’d stayed longer, we would have availed of those. (Even though wine and pisco tasting trips could be part of those itineraries, I would not include them if I were you. Let’s just say that Peruvian wine has a long way to go to be decent, even in the opinion of this easily satisfied wine non-expert, and that pisco is best tasted in pisco sours.)

Weather/climate/when to go

Paracas gets virtually no rain. It does get fog, but when we were there (mid-September) the fog was burning off by about 8 or 9 a.m. I believe that during June-August the fog lasts a lot longer into the day, so those contemplating a trip then might check into this more carefully. (Taking the bus down from fog-bound Lima, which is shrouded for much of the year, I was a bit worried as much of our trip was in fog. But the climate is considerably less foggy down toward Paracas and we were in sun for the last half or third of the trip.) I believe the temperature only got up into the low 70s during the day when we were there, but in the bright sun this was easily warm enough for shorts. The timing of our visit there thus worked out well as we got sunny weather in both the Sacred Valley (where the dry season generally lasts into September) and by the coast. Of course, the best and hottest weather in Paracas would be during the Peruvian winter, but that would also be the most crowded time there. As always, there are trade-offs.

Conclusion

Even with the noise from the pool music and the occasional restaurant service coolness, we were surprised by how much we really liked the hotel and the area. What with the bus trips, it is a big of a hassle to get to, but was well worth it for us. I'd highly recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Southside
Bruno G, Gerente at Hotel Paracas, A Luxury Collection Resort, Paracas, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2013

Thank you very much for taking your time to write a review and share your experiences during your last stay with us. I appreciate very much your comments about the food and the lovely rooms.
Indeed, six years ago a terrible earthquake destroyed the entire city and the hotel also, but now it is a brand new luxury construction hotel and our partner Tikariy offers excursions with a private yatch Nazca Lines flights, and desert adventure with a Four wheels drive prepared cars.
Not only we are a beach resort, what we wanted to rescue is the culture of the place, the Paracas culture is a culture pre Inca, one of the outstanding in South America. Thanks to our location, it allows us to be able to present visitors a tourist spot rich in biodiversity and history. As our Luxury Collection brand identifies us, exceptional, native, and unique experience.
Your observations are very important for us to improve our quality of service.
Thank you very much for visiting us and we hope you visit us again soon.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed December 1, 2013

The greatest place in Paracas. You will not regret staying there. The cost of the room is a fraction of what one would pay in Cusco or Lima. The staff is superb, the service is impeccable, the food is a mere culinary art.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank e76lena
Bruno G, Gerente at Hotel Paracas, A Luxury Collection Resort, Paracas, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comment, we are very happy that your stance with us was excellent. We are focused on giving a good service, and able to fulfill our dear guests wishes giving them a memorable stays.
I hope to see you soon and welcome you back.

Best Regards

Reviewed November 24, 2013

Paracas will someday be a wonderful beachfront community that will cater to the international traveler. This hotel is there before it's time. The sewer smell from the bay every morning leaves a lot to be desired. The room itself is very nice and would be rated as a 5 star. The suite with your own front porch facing the water was very relaxing. The restaurant was grossly over-priced for dinner and the food was just OK. The breakfast buffet was good, but not great. The bar area was extremely nice and had lots of seating. The pools catered more to the doves and pigeons then to people.

Room Tip: Try and get a suite with a porch. It's very nice to have the outdoor seating. Explore some o...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank bsandds
Bruno G, Gerente at Hotel Paracas, A Luxury Collection Resort, Paracas, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your recent visit to hotel Paracas. I also appreciate you taking time to share a review of your experience and it's truly valuable hearing from our guests. We guarantee best fresh ingredients and quality in all our hotel restaurants and bars.( food and beverage program and control for hazards) as well as quality linen and furniture’s.
The hotel Paracas is a luxury collection with prices below International hotels of the same level.
As we are located in the middle of a natural ecological reserve and birds are protected, that s why they are plenty and the kelp in front of the property.
We look forward to see you again in our beautiful hotel , relax and delight are what we are for.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed November 22, 2013

Amazing dinning and pisco drinking! For lunch time be sure to ask the Chef to just get creative and surprise you with a collection of his signature dishes, he will blow your head off! For cocktails go to the main bar next to the restuarant and have a passion fruit pisco sour, even better if prepared by Paul. A tip on the room, try getting an ocean view room in a second floor. Loved the gardens and the use of succullents in the landscaping.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Bruno G, Gerente at Hotel Paracas, A Luxury Collection Resort, Paracas, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2013

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you very much for your comments, we are very glad to read your experience about our service and the impression left by our bartender Paul.
Your experience is an example of our service dedication.
I hope to see soon at our property.

Best regards,

Reviewed November 17, 2013

Hubby and I went to the Paracas luxury collection several times (we used to live in Peru until recently) and never were we disappointed by the hotel. The place is immaculate, the staff is friendly and attentive and the buffet breakfast the best. The rooms are so cozy, beds super comfy and we just loved chilling by the pool all day long.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CaminanteCaminando
Bruno G, Gerente at Hotel Paracas, A Luxury Collection Resort, Paracas, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you very much for your comments, we are delighted to read that you find our property amazingly beautiful and our service the best.

I wish to welcome you personally on your next visit to us,

Kind Regards,