“A gem of a restaurant in sleepy Mompos”
Review of El Fuerte

El Fuerte
Ranked #1 of 12 Restaurants in Mompos
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
World Traveler
“A gem of a restaurant in sleepy Mompos”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I visited Mompos for four days on the strength of a recommendation from a fellow traveler I met in Trujillo, Peru. Mompos has little going for it, so I am not sure why ‘Lady of Medellin’ recommended this destination to me. But one thing Mompos does have is El Fuerte Restaurant.

What magic! I had been trying to dine at El Fuerte for three nights after reading about it on Trip Advisor and finally my dream came true when it opened for dinner my last night in Mompos. Walter (from Austria) and Patricia (from Colombia) are such gracious hosts. I felt instantly at home surrounded by such luminous ambience, the strains of Mozart cascading down upon me from a sound system on the floor above, the soft evening lights suffusing all of El Fuerte, all of it so inviting. If I were not leaving Mompos the next day I would have returned each morning for breakfast, each noon for lunch and each evening for dinner. (Unfortunately, El Fuerte only serves dinner beginning at 7:30 p.m. and it is best to email or call ahead for a reservation.)

I have been traveling nearly 18 months on a round-the-world 10-year journey and I know the charm and beauty of El Fuerte will remain with me always. And, of course, El Fuerte’s food and drink are to die for. I had a queen-size brick oven pizza , but the menu features pasta and even Viennese Goulash.

El Fuerte: the best thing in Mompos and the one spot you definitely want to visit to enjoy a memorably delicious dinner.

• Visited June 2013

Cali
“Una joya en la ciudad de filigrana”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Mompox is not exactly over-endowed with great restaurants, so El Fuerte is a bit of a find. Located on the waterfront, the restaurant is an opportunity for the Austrian owner, Walter, to showcase his beautiful rustic (but elegant) furniture and accessories in his eclectic restaurant, in a kind of furniture showroom-meets-pizzeria environment.
One would think such craftsmanship would be an all-consuming activity, but Walter and partner, Patricia, find time to run a superb restaurant, focusing on hand-made pizzas, prepared in their wood burning pizza oven, and fabulous pastas. They are great hosts, and the people I've taken there have been wowed by the experience.

• Visited October 2012
3 Thank AshleyCali
Cartagena, Bolivar, Colombia
“Great pizza, building and location”
Reviewed April 8, 2012

We had fabulous pizza (COP$40,000 and it served 4 of us) in this beautifully restored building by the river about 2 streets down from the Iglesia Sta Barbara. Highly recommended!

• Visited April 2012