All reviewsyoga classesthai massageqi gongopen airhealthy fooddeep tissue massagespa treatmentsamazing yogahalf pricer rrestaurant staffbeautiful placethe pacific oceanhorseback ridinga special placewonderful foodparadise on earth
Reviewed February 6, 2017 via mobile

Present Moment creatively caters to those w/dietary requests. Lovely staff & setting. Creative coffees, smoothies & their omelettes are delish♡
They appear to be a great place for event/holiday dining, but I haven't yet had the pleasure...

Stayed: December 2016, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Seattle2sunseeker
Reviewed February 5, 2017

I came here by myself on a yoga retreat during the last week of January. The weather was perfect, low 80F and low humidity. Here is a breakdown of Present Moment.

Front desk: Sisters Eric and America were very friendly and helpful to all my questions and needs.

Transfer: was easy to and back to Ixtapa airport. Only approximately 30-minute ride, one way.

Billing: uncommon system; recommended tip added to bill at check out and not tip at every check.

Bungalow: I love my single/private bungalow nearest to the beach. It can get warm when sleeping under the mosquito net and for light sleepers, the no A/C and closed bungalow may not be everyone's cup of tea. The sound of the ocean wave was great but the beware of mosquitoes. There was no hair dryer and only one at the resort. Bring your own if you have a preference. No power converter needed for electrical plugs - sweet!

Toilet: yes the plumbing system is not that advance and no paper (nothing) goes inside the toilet. Cleaning person comes in daily (morning) to clean everything out.

Food: The food choices and preparation was amazing. Very good use of local produce and healthy options to choose from. Wait staff are very friendly and remembered my name on day 2. Thank you Dario, Martin, Manuel and everyone behind the counter.

Services: I am a no frills person when it comes to a spa experience. Nancy was great, I highly recommend her.

Beach/Pool: there was no pool services, bring your own towel(s) from the bungalow and if you want to hang out at the beach, the resort can recommend someone to rent an umbrella, unless sitting in direct sun if your choice of sunbathing.

Activities: I recommend the snorkeling excursion to coral island. It was about a 30 minutes boat ride to the island for snorkeling. This place has VERY low expectation or rather rustic changing room so don't expect a changing room or shower area before or after snorkeling.

Entertainment: there were some performers and singing during my 7-day stay, that was entertaining, thank you.

Room Tip: Closest to beach so that your bungalow is not smack in the middle. You can hear people's conversations if neighbors are not soft spoken.
  • Stayed: January 2017, traveled solo
6  Thank koheve
Reviewed January 7, 2017 via mobile

I suggest avoiding Present Moment. Yes it has cute and comfortable beach huts with most having views of the lovely swimming pool and jacuzz and one has a direct view of the gorgeous Mexican coast. Yes, there are first-rate yoga classes and excellent yoga teachers, and an organic type beach-front restaurant with inventive food. Yes, the gardens and the over-all beauty of Present Moment are most impressive. The bon fire at night on the beach is special along with some live music or other performance most evenings.

But there are a few key concerns with the first being -- What is Present Moment? It is part yoga retreat, part family resort, and part hangout for local expats. So given this conflicting mix, you sometimes get noisy children in the pool instead of the solitude and quiet expected of a yoga retreat. You get expats with their barking dogs at the bar resulting in long wait for a table and service, not to mention the constant disturbances from barking, begging, and fighting dogs. (And I am a dog lover/owner.)

The other concern is Present Moment's exorbitant prices. Present moment is certainly not value for your travel money. I paid about US 570 per nite (including half board, yoga classes, health assessment, and a couple of excursions and/or massages). Strangely for a high end place, upon check-in you are immediately informed not to put toilet paper in the toilet -- only in a waste basket (classy?).

Then there are the dogs -- everywhere, but especially annoying when there are barking and fighting dogs actually on the yoga platform during yoga classes. How the owner/management and yoga teachers think the barking dogs lend peace and tranquility to a yoga or meditation class is beyond me.

The price for drinks are 2 to 3 times what is charged next door at the beach cafes lining the main tourist street. In the gift shop they are charging US$30 for items which are selling for US$6 across the street. Present Moment charges $70 for a 1-hour beach horse ride. Across the street, they charge $25 for the same 1-hour trip using the same horses and guides. A 300% mark-up is another example of Present Moment gouging the guests.

Talk about the "present moment," it takes the on-site restaurant up to 5 to 10 minute to even present their overly priced menus, then nearly 30 to 40 minutes to bring out an order, and close to 10 minutes to bring the check. Thus, allow plenty of time for meals and receive first-hand lessons in patience. Everyone complains of the chaos of this restaurant. Plus, many items in the menu are not available-another yoga lesson about letting go ( of your first or second food choice).

Breakfast is included-but not really. If you want juice, that is extra. If you want toast, that is extra. For a mind expanding yoga retreat, there is so many restrictive and constricting approaches toward the guests. The guest is only fully welcomed and embraced when their wallet is fully opened.

People want value along with there yoga enlightenment and they want their time respected in the restaurant. They don't want to be gouged in the name of new age enlightenment. They don't want the disruptions of dogs everywhere. Be an enlightened traveler and seek better value and peace for your travel money (elsewhere). And, to the Present Moment management/owner, stop letting your passion for dogs and your zeal for profit further erode your ability to offer value for our travel money and peace and quiet that your guests expect from Present Moment.

Stayed: December 2016, traveled as a couple
22  Thank Asiatraveler007
PM_Retreat, Owner at Present Moment Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2017

Hello, High Priced-

Thank you so much for your kind words regarding the overall beauty of Present Moment, along with our gorgeous views, lovely pool, first rate classes, amazing cuisine and countless other extraordinarily special and unique details…we do indeed aim to please all who join us here in paradise. In response to your additional comments, I have this to offer. What is Present Moment? We are an uplifting, sensitive and positive wellness retreat center who’s primary focus is co-creating potentially transformational guests experiences. We super consciously strive to be an authentic, 4 star boutique resort experience in every way. Our restaurant consistently sources high quality, farm to table…mostly organic…ingredients for an exemplary dining experience. This is no simple task in a small, indigenous Mexican pueblito; however we stay the course. Your inclusive package rate was $480 plus tax for 2 people, not just yourself…a wonderfully fair rate at $240 per night on the Pacific Riviera. As far as the disposal of paper in toilets; it is a common cultural practice throughout the country to throw trash in baskets…always has been…you were the first to complain in 12 years. Our horseback riding rate is $35 per hour per person, by the way…not for one. I will admit that we do not place a strong emphasis on fast food, rather carefully preparing each and every meal with tender loving care…this does indeed take a bit longer. We instead focus our attention on quality, flavor, creativity and presentation. This does add to the overall expense, however 95% of our clients find that it’s worth the wait and simply enjoy the unforgettably beautiful surroundings of our resort.
Kindly observe the other hundreds of guest reviews on TripAdvisor to remind you of the magic that truly exists here, and is certainly the very soul of who we are. As far as the dogs are concerned, we do love all creatures great and small and forgive them for their sometimes non-human behavior. Mostly they are embraced and bring untold amounts of joy and tenderness to our clients…can’t please them all as they say, no matter how hard you try. Finally I must disclose that our profit margins have been modest; if any at all, since our inception 12 years ago. We would love to not have to struggle financially one day, and hopefully that day will come. In the meantime, our entire team has dedicated their lives to being in service to others…putting our clients before themselves over becoming financially wealthy. Our intentions have never once included price gouging, disappointing or disrupting our guest’s peace of mind…quite the opposite. Wishing you love, joy and gratitude in this New Year.

Namaste-

Reviewed January 3, 2017

Present Moment retreat is truly one of the most healing, heart opening and blissful places one can visit. The staff are incredibly sweet and like a family welcoming you into their sanctuary, every class is of the highest calibre from meditation to dance to yoga. Every few days there is a beautiful cultural performance in their restaurant with space to dance. The food is exquisite and always beautifully presented. Perfectly located on a beautiful beach with a refreshing pool to swim in, not to mention the most comfortable luxury Palapa bungalow accommodation... Present Moment attracts incredible people from all corners of the globe- like a nest for similar minded people to come together to heal, relax and regenerate... In my experience at Present Moment everyone I spoke to never wanted to leave- we all found a peace in our hearts and minds at this retreat Centre. I certainly plan to go back as soon as I'm able.

• Stayed: December 2016, traveled with friends
1  Thank ZumaPuma
Reviewed December 25, 2016 via mobile

I had an absolute wonderful stay at present moment! I never wanted to leave and kept extending my stay. I ended up staying for six weeks and I'm already planning to come back. I did the be light package with only raw food for the first two weeks, the most incredible raw food I've ever had. It's absolutely no challenge sticking to the diet with that sort of menu. The last month I had food from the normal menu as well and it was absolutely delicious. I never had a meal I didn't like. All food is fresh, healthy and absolutely amazing. I also did yoga everyday. You can choose to be a part of either relaxing or more active yoga. The teachers are incredible and help you in whatever state you're in. It's perfect for both beginners and more advanced yogis. In the evenings they often have music and fun entertainments. The location is fantastic, right by the beach. I spent all days just swimming in the ocean or in the pool, having fantastic food, doing yoga and most of all just spending time with the wonderful staff and guests there. All the staff -everyone in the restaurant, the kitchen, cleaning ladies, in the office and in the wellness team are absolutely amazing. So warm, welcoming and helpful. The most wonderful set of people. I can't wait to go back and meet them again!
I am always very honest and make sure to bring absolutely everything worth mentioning up. I have no bad reviews to share though, the place is simply heaven on earth. Troncones is also a wonderful little city, with lots of beautiful nature and fun places to explore. I would recommend everyone and anyone to go there if possible! You'll not regret it.

Stayed: December 2016