“Food for the soul”

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Troncones
Vancouver, Canada
“Food for the soul”
Reviewed May 11, 2014

This place is so pretty, from the meticulously groomed property to the amazing people working at the resort- PM has it all. The yoga instructors, massage therapists, holistic practitioners and restaraunt staff were all so authentic, warm and inviting it felt more like going to a family reunion then a vacation destination. The palapa restaraunt was the hub of the resort where folks would gather , share stories , a drink or two and dine on well prepared food grown in the region.
Love the fruit smoothies, the chevre stuffed chicken breast and the chocolate lava cake. Also loved CJ's shamanic bath, Leela's mind blowing body /energy work, Adriana's reiki therapy, Amity's healing touch . Kudos to you beautiful CJ for gathering such an amazing team of specialists. You are all a gift that keeps on giving. The only bad part about the trip was that I had to come home.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Courtenay, Canada
Reviewed May 3, 2014

My wife and I didn't stay at Present Moment as we had rented a house down the beach but you wouldn't know it. From the time we signed up for yoga classes until we left we were treated as if we were staying there. A most wonderful place! From yoga classes on the platform by the beach to the first class restaurant, the health services, (a 2 hour Thai massage by Natalie to die for), and the wonderful staff it's all great. We were treated to classes by 5 different yoga instructors during our month there, all dedicated, friendly and informative. Meditation classes, Vinyasa flow yoga, Qi gong, restorative yoga, Lucina's trilingual classes, (English, Spanish and Sanskrit), and C.J.'s cacao shaman mystical journeys. It was all fantastic. The restaurant, fresh from the farm dishes lovingly prepared and presented on the deck overlooking the ocean can't be beat. All in a gorgeous setting by the sea, heaven on earth.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 1, 2014

For anyone looking for a "real" escape and restful vacation, this is the place. My wife, our 10 month old, and myself attended a "family Yoga" retreat for 10 days. I would have to say that after turning off my business smart phone and experiencing the holiday we had at Present Moments, we have returned completely reset, rested, and renewed. You will not be disappointed, this place is "REAL" from ownership, to management, to staff , to amenities to the amazing food. Your room is fully equipped with all that one needs. The customer service that we experienced is over the top from the minute I had by morning coffee handed to me to the turning off of our bungalow lights. There are enough previous comments on the quality of the food in the restaurant, but I would like to add that the staff also makes the experience even better. and yes, the food is super delicious, farm fresh and local.

There's no need to write on any of the hotel amenities as it's all been touched on in other comments but I would have to say that there's lots to consider that the retreat offers or just relax by the pool or star gaze to the crashing ocean.

Troncones, La Saladita and neighboring areas are fun and safe to explore . The hotel can recommend and arrange any adventures from surfing to kayaking.Very friendly locals so worth taking a walk into Troncones village or a surf trip to La Saladita. Great shops across the street.

Even our little 10 month old was at peace in this amazing gem!

We will be back.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Taxi ride. It’s safe. When you arrive to ZIH and clear Customs, you’ll go to the taxi stand which is to the right, outside of the doors after customs. The taxi service is 810 pesos and they only accept pesos. You can exchange dollars to pesos at the exchange counter located just outside the exit doors from customs (they charge a couple bucks service fee) or use the ATM located near the taxi stand. The taxi ride is about 35 minutes. The taxi drivers don’t speak much English, so the ride will likely be pretty quiet. The taxi ride back to ZIH from Present Moment is 610 pesos if you want to plan ahead for spending money needed.

Security. I was a little apprehensive about security. There aren’t safes in the bungalows and no locks on the doors, etc. However, after a couple days I realized everything was safe. You’ll notice the staff and grounds keepers are the same every day and they really keep an eye on the place and quickly get a sense of which individuals are staying at Present Moment. I never felt unsafe or at risk at any moment in time. Your purse/wallet, passport, ipads/cell phones will be fine.

Bugs. I have a tendency to always get chewed up. The one bungalow room with AC was already booked so I took a leap of faith and booked the bungalow Renewal. You’ll receive an insect repellant coil to wear on your wrist and I’d recommend wearing it at night. I also purchased online some insect repellant wipes and wiped my feet and ankles in the evenings. Close your nets at night around your bed, and you’ll be fine. I had very few bug bites when I left. I’m so happy that I didn’t end up staying in the A/C bungalow as I would have missed out on the best sleep I’ve ever had….there’s nothing like the sound of the Pacific waves all night long!

Suggestions:
Pack light! OMG!! It’s hot and humid!! Ladies…leave your makeup and hair products at home! If you’re staying a week, bring minimal clothing.
WIFI isn’t very strong so bring a great book, a great attitude and just let it go.
Try all activities once. I didn’t have the opportunity to do everything once and I regret that. Some of the things may seem a little out of your comfort zone but open your mind and try everything once. You might surprise yourself. I did the surfing activity which was a lot of fun…admittedly, I was horrible at it, but glad I tried it.

Everyone is super friendly, courteous and helpful. The food is amazing!
To my new friends that I made traveling solo….what a blessing you are!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank CARCOR2014
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed April 14, 2014

I visited Troncones as part of a surf/sup/yoga retreat put on by people from where I live so there was a buffer between myself and the admin staff. We were picked up from the airport and brought out to the resort. To our surprise three of us we're put together in one room although it was supposed to be double occupancy (actually I thought I would be alone). This would not have been a big deal except we were all strangers at the time. The rooms are beautiful and open air but they also have no doors or privacy curtains for the bathroom or the shower. Awkward? I did love the sound of the ocean all night and got used to the humidity and bug nets. I thoroughly enjoyed the yoga on the yoga platform and on the beach. I surfed off site and paddle boarded too. All for the price of me retreat. I paid extra for the wonderful spa options and took advantage of the deep tissue massage and Thai massage. My compliments to these ladies. Also included in my retreat were meals and did we ever get treated. Thank you to Oniver and Manuel for the smiles and salsa dancing! My next comment may never effect anyone else but needs a mention. There are two dogs living on the resort; Body and Nina. It's no surprise to see dogs loose around town and the beach or even the resort however Nina happened to be in heat and the dog drama culminated in several bloody dog fights. Difficult to be zen on the yoga platform during all that. No real apology extended either. All in all it was a wonderful week. I did meet the owner Tom and my compliments on his vision. To those who aren't happy with open air room or the noise of the activity of serving you, go elsewhere but you will miss out.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Ma
Reviewed April 10, 2014

We have just returned from a week at Present Moment Retreat.Although the staff was friendly and the activities good, I feel that I need to share some serious reservations about our stay.
Present Moment is the most expensive hotel/retreat in Trancones by almost double the price of other similar places. HOWEVER, the bungalows that look so attractive in photos have real problems. Our bungalow was back to back with only a 2/3 high wall dividing us, with the kitchen! There was constant noise from 7 a.m. to 10:30 all day, every day. When we mentioned this to the manager, she sighed as in-this is a constant problem. Well, yes, it is. Her solution was to talk with the dish washers etc. and ask them not to talk. This did not work. The other problem is that there was absolutely no hot water-none. Again we talked to the manager who tried to explain it away-but, you know, bottom line, when you are spending $300 a night-which is very, very high for the Trancones area-you do expect to be able to nap, read and sleep in quiet and take a shower!
My husband, a retired architect, wrote to Tom, the owner, with suggestions and pointed out the contradiction of their advertisement of themselves as a retreat in tranquil, peaceful circumstances. His response? We were lucky to get a room at all as they were booked and that 70% of the time the bungalow is occupied with no problems. That is not the truth. The manager made it very clear that there are constant complaints and was greateful when Don told her that he was going to write to Tom.
I have seen Tom's responses twice in the Present Moment write ups-I see this as a bad sign that we should have taken more seriously. Clearly there are problems at the resort that are not being addressed.

Room Tip: Only stay in a bungalow out of the beaten path so there is quiet-the only one that I would suggest i...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Berman4300
CobyHadas, Manager at Present Moment Retreat, responded to this review, May 18, 2014
We apologize that your expectations were not met at Present Moment. We also very much appreciate your email and your husband's advice and have decided to close in the room you refer to so as to guarantee a peaceful sleep-in for all of our guests. As you noticed, we work very hard to make sure that our guests have an exceptional experience. Comparing the pricing of Present Moment to our neighbors we don't feel is fair as we are a very unique offering in the area. Nowhere in Troncones will you find a fine dining restaurant, exceptional massage services, highly trained international yoga teachers, and open air ocean view bungalows. We also find it interesting that you declined our offer to move rooms, declined our offer to find another place for you, and then extended your stay by three nights and told us all how you really look forward to returning and then wrote a negative review. Please come back again so we can show you what an incredible experience can be had at Present Moment, and our deepest apologies for not meeting your expectations.
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed April 5, 2014

From the moment you wake up to the time you go to bed, Present Moment is the most amazing experience. It was a fantastic spring break of peace and play for our family. i woke up early, walked the beach, had an amazing coffee, did an hours guided meditation, had breakfast with the kids while my wife did the two hour yoga and then I spent hours in the pool and on the beach. A little siesta, a snack, a walk on the beach, a fantastic dinner, some dancing or local music and a late swim each day was just right for me. The food was amazing, the staff fantastic and everyone had the best time. I've never moved so slowly and enjoyed every step. I felt safe and loved every moment. The staff's favorite saying is porque non? Why not? should I have another drink? Porque non? should I have a snack? porque non? should I go to yoga? porque non? From dancing to dining on the beach, to just playing around, everyone was really fantastic. We are going back as soon as we can. I highly recommend Present Moment, playa Troncones and the Zihua area for a great trip. I want to do this again and again. Gracias to just too many people to name individually! Everyone was terrific! Muchas gracias!

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the cabins around the pool. I don't think one is better than another.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Troncones
The Inn at Manzanillo Bay
#7 of 22 in Ixtapa
Hotel Roberto's Bistro
Hotel Roberto's Bistro
#13 of 15 in Troncones

Been to Present Moment Retreat? Share your experiences!