All reviewsyoga classesthai massageqi gongopen airhealthy fooddeep tissue massagespa treatmentsamazing yogahalf pricer rrestaurant staffbeautiful placethe pacific oceanhorseback ridinga special placewonderful foodparadise on earth
Reviewed December 1, 2012

We recently stayed at Present Moment for a wedding and we could have stayed all winter. After a week of yoga, sleep, walking the beach and amazing food we came home refreshed and reinvigorated. The palapas are clean and safe, the staff is attentive and amazing--and willing to help you practice your Spanish! During our visit we watched local divers bring in their lobster catch and beach walkers snapped them up for lunch. I also had a very rare opportunity to watch a sea turtle lay her eggs and return to the sea during a morning beach walk. There are no large hotels or beach parties here--just the sound of the waves all day. You will only need your swimsuit--we didn't wear shoes for a week! Finally, I can't say enough about the staff--they take very good care of everyone and made our trip even better!

Room Tip: All the huts seemed equal in terms of privacy and distance to the beach--my only tip would be if you want less traffic then you probably don't want the hut next to the restaurant.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I stayed at Present Moment for 3 weeks for a yoga teacher training. My first impression when I walked in was that the pictures online do NOT do the place justice. It's beyond beautiful. The sound of constantly crashing waves in the background, hummingbirds and butterflies flitting by, tropical plants and flowers filling up the space. It smells good, too. Totally sensory satisfaction. Everything there is open air except for a couple bungalows and the boutique, so it's close to nature. There are bugs but there are also mosquito nets and bug spray. But even the insects are pretty, especially the ENORMOUS fireflies. (We had one in our bungalow and I thought it was a beam from a flashlight.) I stayed in a bungalow for 3 people or a family. The main, larger bed was comfortable. The smaller twin bed I had was not. That was a bummer but I'm also really really particular about having a comfortable sleeping space. The restaurant is lovely. Fresh and a nice variety. There are some stellar menu items (shrimp tacos, guac, shrimp fettuccine, energetic soup) and some that are OK. (I mostly ate from a set menu for students, but we got a fare sampling of the vegetarian fare.) The menu can get pricey for entrees. There is a juice bar and the juices are fresh and tasty. What else...the staff was so wonderful and attentive, even when 13 very hungry students descended on them at meal time.

The beach is RIGHT THERE. A little rocky right in front of Present Moment but a short walk brings you to a sandy area where can wade in the shallow end or swim in the waves. And there are not many people (if any) on the beach, at least when I was there in Oct/Nov. It's a beautiful place if you truly like getting away, slowing down and being close to nature 24/7. And of course the yoga classes are awesome!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank RachelYogi
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Present Moment Retreat is a very special place. It's intimate and exposed at the same time. Less than a dozen open-air huts with thatched roofs surround a pool and lead to a yoga platform and bar/restaurant which face a small beach and the majestic ocean. Be prepared to spend your entire vacation outdoors and relish in the the warm sunshine and constant roar of the ocean. The food was AMAZING fresh, healthy, delicious Mexican food, the drinks were strong, and the yoga classes seemed never-ending, which is exactly what yoga on vacation should be. The staff was knowledgeable, attentive, and very kind. This is a high-quality, high-value place that garners appreciation for its attention to every detail. I wish I could live there.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 16, 2012

As two June babies living in the same city (Toronto) for the first time in years, my sister and I decided to look for a nice getaway to "gift" to ourselves, the only givens being sun, sand and surf. We got that and way more at this little slice of heaven. Present Moment Retreat is a unique haven that's a must for any traveller seeking complete and utter R&R in a safe, welcoming, and rejuvenating environment nurtured by people who just can't help themselves from being awesome. It's been 5 months since I was fortunate enough to have experienced the present that is Present Moment (PM) and all my memories -- even those hot, breezeless evenings when sleep was so elusive and I pined for air conditioning (lie still enough and you will not get so sweaty) -- are 100% positive.

So, my sister and I stumbled upon PM on Groupon Getaways and it stood out from the pack because of the amenities and activities it offered: private bungalows, a yoga platform facing the sea, meditation and yoga classes, massage and spa treatments, day-time activities (kayaking, surfing, yoga surfing, horseback riding on the beach, and more), and a great menu with delicious and inventive food, shakes, juices, and desserts that other resorts just didn't have (way too used to buffets and all you can drink concoctions, which are nice too...there's just something to be said about quality).

It took a couple of days for us to agree on PM primarily because of the cost (I'm quite the thriftster) and unfamiliar location (Troncones? Zihuatanejo? Guerrero?) but as soon as we got over our trepidations with the help of Tom, who was very accommodating and promptly gave us genuinely honest and helpful answers, we took the leap and booked a 7-night package for two in one of the open-air bungalows with three beds.

In addition to the yoga, massage, facials and mani/pedis, and guided eco-kayaking I availed of during my stay here (oh, and I splurged at the gift shop too...check out their signature scent), I love that PM is small enough that you meet and can get to know the staff and guests here, if you're so inclined.

I believe there was a travel advisory against travelling to the area of Guerrero around the time we stayed here, which was a cause for travel slowing down in this area. Rest assured, Zihuatanejo (airport shared with Ixtapa), particularly Troncones, is safe. Serene, even. For current travel conditions and any questions about PM, just ask the staff...they're quick with email and will give you straightforward answers.

I echo all the rave reviews on here. Feel free to ask me about my stay here, and if you do go to Present Moment, please say hi to CJ, Coby, their tiny dog Bodhi, and the rest of the staff (I remember all their names but will let you have the pleasure of meeting them yourself). One day, I do hope to return...in the meantime, namaste.

Room Tip: I believe there is one bungalow with A/C so if you're visiting on a particularly hot and dry season (I was there from June 9-15), try to get this room if you can't stand the heat. Only thing is, you'll miss out on the constant soothing sound of the surf that envelopes this place.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank MY0MI
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We have just returned from a week at Present Moment. The thoughtfulness and exceptional quality of every aspect of the environment, the services, the staff, the food make this my first Trip Advisor report. I felt compelled to write it. We loved: the intimacy of the small environment, waking up in our elegant room with the sounds of the ocean in the background, morning walks on the beach, eating exceptional quality food (that even accommodated our fussy diets), the truly awesome and generous teachers and the tranquility of time spent by the pool and in the evenings watching the sunset. And it would be wrong not to admit to the phenomenal happy hour Margaritas. I arrived as an occasional home yogi and left with new physical strength, a commitment to regular practice and a plan to go back to Present Moment sometime soon!

Room Tip: We stayed in Serenity, which was perched up higher than a lot of cabanas. We had a great breeze here. I am going to ask for it again next time.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple