“Completely unexpectedly perfect” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Troncones
San Antonio, Texas
“Completely unexpectedly perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

Okay. We admit it. We got in on a Groupon. And for that reason, we were a little wary, sometimes Groupon being synonymous with "we're dying here." And after a heart-racing taxi ride from Ixtapa that ended in a construction-heavy dirt and gravel road, my wife and I looked at one another with that what-have-we-gotten-ourselves-into look. When Present Moment came into view and it was pleasantly out of place relative to its surroundings, we felt a tad of relief. CJ the instructor/co-owner greeted us with a warm, genuine smile and welcomed us into the clean, quiet and exotically scented office/store, immediately setting our minds at rest.

After some basic information we were shown around the grounds ending in our bungalo (Tranquility). My wife was a little concerned about privacy, heat and humidity -- she couldn't use her blow-dryer and makeup was likely going to be impractical as well. She teared up after we were left to contemplate what we might be facing but I assured her it should all be okay. In the back of my mind, I wondered if she might pull the plug on the whole thing. But she unpacked and dried her eyes and got geared up for Gentle Yoga, Present Moment's afternoon offering.

Then it happend. Present Moment started working its magic. Yoga was remarkable, if challenging. Dinner was remarkable -- there can be no praise too high for their food and service. And we started meeting other residents, who, in our experience, to a person, were interesting, open-minded and kind. And we started getting to know the instructors, also all phenomenal individuals. Even though ours and other residents' first night seemed to be a universally challenging experience, what with getting used to essential ammenities; and humid, virtually open-air sleeping under a mosquito net, it served as a dual awakening. It tells us, one, that we're in a different world and, two, that not only can we do this but that we're going to be better for it.

The rest of the week was literally one continuous dream-like experience, the only challenge being how I could possibly catalog all the memorable moments and unrepeatable firsts. I experienced a rythmic bonfire ceremony to honor the new moon, complete with a strike-of-midnight shooting star. We met and shared yoga classes and coconuts with a celebrity -- a not uncommon event from what I'm told. And, near the end of our stay, the rescue and release of some 80 turtle eggs. And keep in mind that my wife and I stayed within 500 yards of the retreat the entire week. If we had taken advantage of the variety of events they offer, goodness knows how much more we could have encountered.

We've been back for a couple of days now and I'm definitely a changed person. In one week at Present Moment Retreat, I learned more about myself and about my wife than I ever dreamed possible. I had signed up for a vacation but received the equivalent of a vacation, gentle counceling, calm personal training and easy-to-follow nutritional education, all while spending each day getting closer to the best people I've ever encountered in my life -- instructors, staff and fellow residents included.

There should be a word beyond "vacation.' I'm already planning my next visit.

Room Tip: Okay, the sleeping can be a litle challenging at first but don't let that detract. View the expe...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank ThomasMcAuley-com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

This is only my second review on TA and like my first the only reason I'm writing it is because this was an experience that was truly great. The location was as beautiful as you could ever ask for, a paradise of waves, sun, shade, sand and sky amongst which the retreat is tastefully built. The staff were fabulous, caring, kind individuals from the moment we called to the moment we left, and the people of Troncones were welcoming and kind. I've never done as much meditating or yoga per day in my life, and I enjoyed it immensely. Leaving this place was quite difficult, but I can see Bohdi right now looking out from the stage at the waves or planning his next avenue of attack on the shore birds and I am content in the knowing. If your soul could use a lift or you really just need to get lost and found, I recommend this place. I never felt bad vibes in terms of safety from anyone, and my gf and I went into 'town' every night. Troncones is safe. If you take the horseback riding activity down the beach and the hike up to the caves, be sure to bring long pants, shoes, bug spray, water, a headlamp if you have one, and some courage, the jungle hike to the caves is legit. - Trev and Yurika

Room Tip: There are 10 bungalows that are open air with mosquito netting, and there is 1 room (I think it'...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TrevallySF
Alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

Okay so I'm the type of person who writes reviews only if I've had an exceptionally negative experience or an exceptionally positive experience. I'm in the Travel Industry and have been to many resorts around the world. Present Moment Retreat was definitely an exceptionally positive experience! If I could sum up this place in one word it would be...Paradise.

From the moment I arrived until the moment I left I felt so at peace and treated like a friend and not just a customer. Tom made me feel truly welcomed and relaxed when we exchanged emails finalizing my package details. Everyone is so very friendly and professional. They took care of me such that I had no worries at all. I was looking for a place to rejuvenate and have some "me time" after having gone through some challenging personal issues. Although there is wifi available I wanted to be completely unplugged for the entire week I was there. No cell phone, no Internet, no emails, no FB...nothing but peaceful meditation and yoga classes in the morning and afternoon, laying by the pool or on the beach on lounge chairs, amazingly delicious and healthy food at the on-site restaurant, or enjoying a massage. They also offer adventure activities like horseback riding into caves, surfing, etc. I didn't do any of that but some other guests did and said they really enjoyed it. You have the option of staying active or doing nothing at all except relax with a good book basking in the warmth of the Mexican sun. I felt like such a special guest although they treated everyone the same. One day I was craving cookies and mentioned it to CJ and Coby and miraculously cookies were freshly baked and made available to guests that evening. Pretty amazing! The only minor thing that I would change is remembering to bring mosquito repellent if you're prone to attract Mosquitos like I am. I understand they're everywhere in Mexico so pack your spray or you can buy it when you get there too.

A special thank you to CJ who has such an amazing uplifting and peaceful energy around her just being in her presence made me feel instantly calm and serene. The meditation and yoga classes led by her as well as the lovely Sara were amazing and I was finally able to manage a pose I never thought I could do! Yay! A big thank you to Coby for his hospitality, Sara for her overall awesome-ness, Josephine for the wonderful restorative massages and sweet nature, and the exceptional service by all the Present Moment staff. Bodhi the resident yoga dog was a joy to have around. He even came to the front gate on his own to see us off. I have enjoyed my stay so much that I plan to organize a special milestone birthday retreat for my dozen or so girlfriends for next year. I'll definitely be back in Paradise. Can't wait until then!!! Namaste~

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank happyvacay
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

I truly cannot find the words to describe how precious my time spent at Present Moment Retreat was. Everything was top notch, accommodations, food, services, price. It is the people of PMR that made it for me beyond one's wildest imagination. If you need a place to heal, chill or just enjoy the beauty of life, one moment at a time, I cannot endorse a more perfect place than Present Moment. Enjoy!

Room Tip: All the cabanas are equally perfect. Btw, given the Perfect Moment Retreat energy, I believe the ca...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Vancouver, BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

My 25 year old son and I recently spent 10 days at PMR. Upon leaving we both felt as though we had been gone for a month - it was that good!

What did we love about it? The location is amazing- beautiful beach, tranquil setting; delicious food (my son has some challenging allergies and it wasn't a problem); supportive yoga classes for any level; skilled masseurs and energy healers; each and every staff person we interacted with were friendly and helpful. My son loved that he could stay connected to his girlfriend because there is WIFI available throughout the property.

What was a challenge? I loved the open air bungalow as our accommodation however my son had huge conflicts every night with the Mosquitos despite the netting over the bed. The humidity in September was high and this was hard for him as well so after 5 days we moved into the only air conditioned room. He was a happy man! The staff were so accommodating with this move and there was no extra charge.

If you are looking for a place to be alone and have no one bother you, it is possible here; guests and staff respect your boundaries. If you want to interact with others, it's possible too. PMR is a place where honouring yourself and others just happens; it's magical.

I experienced many amazing gifts in my 10 days here and I believe the best gift was being open to receive those gifts. This sacred place, which has been created so thoughtfully and with so much intention and love, guided me to that place of acceptance.

Muchisimas gracias a todos!

Sue and Justin
Vancouver, BC

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Susanito
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

I spent 2 and a half days with my family (2 teenagers) and we all enjoyed this place which is so close to Mexico city and so relaxing. The staff was great and so friendly, we felt like home in all senses, we didnt even misssed our dogs since bodhi also was very friendly. Food was excellent, yoga clasess were great and the best masages We have ever taken in Mexico!! The beach is really nice and quiet, very few tourists. It was a perfect anthidote to civilization and chaos that we live every day. we will come back soon and will highly recommend it for people who wants to disconect from the real world.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

My boyfriend and I recently stayed here for a week long retreat. We discovered this place through Groupon and out of all the places I've experienced in the world, it's easily in the top 5 for several reasons. Nestled away in a small fishing and surfing village just 40 minutes north from the airport, driving on the two lane road heading towards the beach gives you a sense of excitement and curiosity. Retreats are known to be isolated from the rest of the world, but here at Present Moment, you're connected to the sounds of the ocean and awareness, a surreal duality of life and peacefulness. The staff are wonderful, the bungalows are open-air, each facing towards the Pacific. The reason I feel it's a duality of life and peacefulness is the attraction of people from all over that seem to come year around, you are detached yet connected. Everyone is friendly, it's open to the public for massages, yoga, facials, dining, drinks, and conversation. Not only did we do daily yoga, we also took the opportunity to ride horses to a cave which is a new tour recently offered. Present Moment is also near great surf breaks close to Manzanilla Bay and Saladita if you are a surf buff. Present Moment employs great yoga instructors as well as masseuses, and there's always a person who is pleasant to sit with or even just sitting alone enjoying the peace. We fell in love with the whole area, our bungalow was enchanting and romantic, waking up each morning to the sound of the waves crashing, epic feeling.

For those who are looking to get away a few hours from the states, exotic, lush, private, rejuvenating, and or even a place to sit back for the day to relax, enjoy some great food, wonderful view, walk on the beach, yoga, massage, a dip in the pool............this is the place. Even traveling across the pond far and wide, you won't be disappointed. We went when it was a bit humid so we were hot during the evening. However take note, no matter the season, it will be beyond amazing.

Lastly, Bodhi the yogi dog is there and he's a real treat.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TravelingYoginista
Also consider these accommodations in or near Troncones
The Inn at Manzanillo Bay
#13 of 81 in Zihuatanejo
Troncones Point Hostel
Troncones Point Hostel
#1 of 11 in Troncones

Been to Present Moment Retreat? Share your experiences!