“Cool place, great hosts!”

Troncones Point Hostel
Reviewed December 17, 2010

Statyed for over a week and loved this place. Patrick & Celine are incredibly gracious hosts, interesting conversationalists, excellent fire dancers and more. Felt like we were in the know about the area within the first couple of days and it made the stay even more relaxing and cool. Excellent value and location is perfect for surf or for staging surf excursions daily.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 14, 2010

excellent surfing spot..if you are looking for an out of the way 'secret' location..this is it! love the people/staff..they treated me like a king...

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed November 10, 2010

I spent a month down on Troncones Point while working on a novel, and stayed at the Troncones Point Surf Club and Hostel. I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants a tropical vacation away from more heavily toured areas.

During my stay I was in Casa Conejo, a newly renovated space the hostel just opened (the windows were going in while I was staying there!). It's the cheaper of their two private rooms, and lacks its own bathroom and kitchenette, but does have a king sized bed with mosquito netting (a very comfortable night's sleep) and its own sink and drinking water fountain. The door is about half as tall as a normal door, so you have to duck when you enter (hence its name, House of the Rabbit), but once inside there is plenty of headroom.

The lack of a kitchen wasn't a problem -- the Surf Club features an amazing common room (Casa Colibri), with cool ocean breezes and a full kitchen. Better than that, the facilities operators are amazing chefs, and whip up community dinners for all the guests every night (averaging about 45 pesos a night). Dishes ranged from simple spaghetti dinners to gourmet ahi sashimi. Your hosts are localvores, and all of the meals are prepared with fresh local vegetables and even fresher seafood.

The nearby town of Troncones offers only a few amenities, but be sure to check of Cafe De Sol. The nearby (and incredibly overpriced) Inn at Manzanillo has a full bar and live music. And while I don't surf, the surfers who were staying at the club while I was there couldn't get enough of the breaks off the point.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed November 7, 2010

After finding the Troncones Point Surf Club & Hostel, I surprised myself by spending a full week there! It's the nicest place I've stayed on my current 3-month journey through Central America & Mexico, and I hope to visit again soon.

Celine & Patrick (the new managers) are fantastic-- full of great local info and super helpful and kind. Patrick paddled out with me to show me the best spots to catch the waves, and he makes an incredible cup of (free for guests!) coffee every morning. Celine was a great help in the Zihua mercado, and helped me find some specific items I needed to buy in town. The accomodations are lovely, and by FAR the best deal in Troncones-- this place makes it affordable for a budget (and/or solo) traveller to visit the area. The communal kitchen is unbelievable-- a gorgeous view of the waves and sunset, and fully stocked with gourmet trimmings. FYI, there's no a/c, so keep that in mind if you're an a/c kind of person. Free Wifi allowed me to get some necessary work done in the most tranquil and distraction-free environment imaginable! The dorm rooms are great for budget travel and meeting people, and Cielo would be fantastic as a romantic room for two.

Highly recommended for a totally chill experience.

Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
Mason43, Manager at Troncones Point Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2010

We had a great time while you were here! We work very hard at making sure our guests have the best time possible, it fills us with gratitude when our guests go out of their way to show their appreciation.Thank you for the amazing review!

Patrick and Celine-

Reviewed October 8, 2010

Patrick and Celine were extremely accommodating to show us the market areas in zihua, surfing spots and hook us up with a great instructor. And yet we found our own adventures and had our personal time to ourselves. The living areas are cozy, not alot of privacy if you are looking for something more secluded with air-conditioning, so you can close your doors and windows, this is not the place for you. Yoga is right around the corner and so are some fantastic restaurants you can walk to on the beach. Bring your headlamp, it'll help on your walk home it you've had too many of big daddy's margaritas! We will come back for sure!

• Stayed: June 2010
Mason43, Manager at Troncones Point Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2010

You were wonderful guests! Thank you so much for staying with us!

Reviewed June 25, 2010

My trip to Trocones was incredible. I'm a research scientist at the UW and I work ALL THE TIME. Visiting Hostel de Paz was a true experience of relaxation - a "getaway" (I stopped checking email, willingly(!) after one day) - an experience I hope to enjoy again in my life.

It was probably the third day in, I had awoken to the singing birds (I chose to sleep on the outside deck of Cielo), made a fresh pot of coffee and sat on the deck watching the hummingbirds float about. I thought to myself "how am I tired, all I've been doing is relaxing, napping, eating, swimming, and relaxing" ;) then I realized - I wasn't tired, I was RELAXED! I hadn't felt that feeling in so long, I had forgotten what it truly meant to feel ultimately chilled out.

Patrick and Celine showed me an incredible time. They made great food and sangria, we walked to the beach, watched the sunset, went buggy boarding, went to the local bar for some games, took a trip into Zihua and Ixtapa, shopped at the markets, went to the hot springs, and visited the local animal refuge.

I experienced the laid back atmosphere of Hostel de Paz, as well as the vibrant culture of the Mexican city of Zihua and the local vibes of Trocones. I explored the beautiful natural world, the gems of the region, the wildlife (fish, birds, butterflies), the tide pools, the gorgeous ocean, the varied rocky and sandy shorelines of Trocones, rugged at times and other areas totally perfect for sunbathing on long stretches of yellowy-white sand sipping a margarita (had some of the tastiest margarita's and guacamole!!!!). I saw some of the most incredible sunsets of my life.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank JolinaSeas

You were wonderful, Jolina! We sure had a wonderful time! So lucky to see the baby porcupine. I can't wait to get back out and see the little one! Thanks for the review!

Reviewed June 10, 2010

This place is amazing. A very relaxed atmosphere with beautiful surroundings and laid-back, friendly people. We saw sea turtles hatching, hiked to waterfalls, surfed, went deep sea fishing, built bonfires on the beach, and basically had the time of our lives. When our rental car had problems, friendly neighbors in the town of Troncones picked us up and gave us a ride and even paid for a pay-phone call (we were in our surf shorts). Patrick and Celine are awesome, and Katy is the coolest dog in Mexico by far. If you are looking for the complete opposite of crowded, idiot-filled Cancun, this is your spot. Have fun!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends

Thanks for the review! We had a great time with you guys while you were here. So good to have amazing guests, we are blessed!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Troncones
Cala de Mar Resort & Spa Ixtapa
#11 of 15 in Troncones
Tronco Bay Inn Resort
Tronco Bay Inn Resort
#14 of 15 in Troncones

Been to Troncones Point Hostel? Share your experiences!