“troncones is not for budget travelers and average surf” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Troncones Point Hostel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Troncones Point Hostel
“troncones is not for budget travelers and average surf”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2011

if you are looking on going for a surf trip or even hanging out at the beach don't go to troncones... except for the point hostel you can't find a decent room with a/c for under 60 us it us a joke. The point hostel is abit cheaper but no a/c and is very hot. You also
Need a car as troncones beaches suck. there are many better places in mexici to go.. It doesn't even feel like Mexico as the town has been taken over... All huge 3 storie houses, bed and breakfast for over 100 a night average rooms and hotels. If you have money it's ok but again u wouldn't go there for surfing... I reccomend salina cruise best right points in Mexico, puerto esconito best chill out and get high end rooms with a/c kitchen pool for 10 dollars a night and sayulita..

• Stayed July 2011
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank John19999

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2011

We spent 4 weeks at Troncones point with our 2 children (10 and 14), and had the most wonderful time. This hostel is not what you would imagine when thinking of staying at a hostel, we had our own beautiful apartment, with a private bath, kitchenette, covered veranda, and use of all the common areas as well. With daily maid service provided we were really able to relax!
Throughout the month we had lots of different experiences and met all sorts of really amazing people. We were able to go horseback riding, participated in a turtle release, enjoyed movie nights, fires on the beach and of coarse the opportunity to do some amazing surfing and beach laying. The beach is great, sandy, clean and on most days we were the only ones on it!
Troncones is a small town, so you get less of the touristy feel and more of an authentic experience, but you are close enough to Ixtapa/Zihua for a change of pace when you need it. Our favorite experience was Patricio...the fruit and veggie guy. 3 days a week he shows up at the front gate with his truck full of produce... really amazing produce! There is also a tortillas guy who zips by on his motorbike, selling fresh tortillas for next to nothing.
Our hosts, Patrick and Celine were fabulous! Really willing to do whatever it took to make our stay enjoyable! Patrick spent many hours out surfing with my husband and son, making sure they were safe and had whatever they needed (they have all sorts of surfboards and boggie boards available to rent). Celine had a never ending supply of fresh and unbelievable yummy muffins available for guests. She baked them in a toaster oven which left us wondering what amazingness she would be able to create if she had a real oven! She also has one of the best libraries to borrow from! They are both so laid back and easy going we never felt anything but comfortable and at home. Our kids were welcome to roam the property and we never felt unsafe! Our 14 year old daughter loved sitting for hours in one of the hammock chairs, looking out at the ocean, watching the whales breach and the dolphins play.
With a huge very well stocked kitchen cooking was wonderful, and most nights we joined forces with the other guests and Patrick and Celine to create wonderful communal meals. But when we didn't feeling like cooking Patrick provided great food at a really decent price (our kids LOVED his fettucini alfredo!) There are also some decent local restaurants if you are looking for a night out.
We spent our last 10 days in Mexico doing some touring around, Zihua, Acapolco, Cuenavaca, and finally ending with 3 days at an all-inclusive in Ixtapa, and although those experiences were great, we wish we would have ended with Troncones. If you are looking for more of a Mexican holiday and less of a resort holiday this is definately the place to go. We will definately be returning to Troncones Point!
Thankyou thankyou thankyou to Celine and Patrick, you guys are a really great couple and you have made the hostel a really wonderful place.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
South Bend, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2011

The TP Surf Club and Hostel web site and prompt responses to inquiries (by phone on one occasion) convinced me to confirm my trip to Troncones and stay here. We wanted to be near the ocean and good surf and these we definitely had. Great surfboard selection at very good rates and Patrick and Celine are very welcoming and always available. The atmosphere is a very communal one and we all had a great and relaxing time (my mother joined me and my wife and 3-month old daughter for our trip). The family rooms were already booked, but Patrick let us have one of the bunk rooms to ourselves. My strong advice is to contact Patrick or Celine, as they are very straightforward about what they do and do not offer, and will answer any questions you have. If you're looking for surf, Troncones is a great place. I surfed 3 different spots while there and it was a lot of fun. I had originally planned on Puerto Escondido, but Troncones was just what I was looking for. Great folks and a great place; I really like what Patrick and Celine are doing here and I recommend it highly. We definitely plan to return.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2011

My boyfriend and I needed a place to stay on our last night in Zihuat and wondered into troncones to find this wonderful little hostel. we were there in august which is a very slow tourist season, so we had the place to ourselves which was fantastic. Patrick and Celine were awesome and the most gracious hosts. they made an amazing dinner for us and we stayed up late and had great conversation with them. patrick showed off his awesome fire spinning skills!! we slept great knowing there was a bug net surrounding us but due to the heat we had our windows open and a bat flew in the room and killed himself in the fan (we were sad to find him laying on the floor dead when we turned on our lights). the next day the boys went surfing while Celine, the dogs and i sat in the water and talked.
my boyfriend and i still talk about how great our stay was at the surf club and just last week we were saying how much we want to go back. And we still tell stories about the composting toilets ;)
Patrick followed us into town the day we left so he could get supplies so i got to thank him for the wonderful hospitality, but I never got to thank celine! so if you guys read this, thank you again patrick and thank you so much celine! hope you guys enjoyed that tequila that we couldnt take on the plane!

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CFlick
foundnlife, Manager at Troncones Point Hostel, responded to this review, March 9, 2011
Thank you so much for your fantastic review! We remember you well (S&C) and have fond memories of your night with us here at the hostel. Please get in touch with us through Facebook so we can keep in touch! We would absolutely love to have you down again sometime. S and I definitely need some more wave time together!

Cheers and thanks again!

Patrick and Celine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2011

I stayed in Troncones several years ago at a hotel in town and had always wanted to come back. I finally got the opportunity to come down for a month, initially I planned to stay at the same hotel as before because I had enjoyed my stay there, or at the yoga retreat here in town. After reading through reviews I ruled out the yoga retreat (still doing classes there though) and I found this surf hostel and read so many positive reviews, helpful responses from management and it is very affordable. Best of all was
that it is a hostel and after traveling through Europe that way I found it is such a good way to meet friends from all over the world and have a small sense of community while you're some place foreign. Since I
was traveling alone for a month I chose this hostel. Not at anytime have I regretted it! Celine and Patrick are amazing people, can't say enough about them. They have made this into such a welcoming and peaceful place. My room is cleaned daily, Patrick cooks some fantastic food (community dinners are such a fun aspect of staying here), the beach is a moments walk away, surf trips, movie night started while I've been here (projector and screen) they have a wide&wonderful assortment of movies, I've met people from all over that I'm sure I'll see again, yoga is right down the street, a man in a truck drives by several times a week with local fruits & veggies, there is a stove and fridge in my room, they focus on sustainable living and I've learned a lot about composting :) fantastic library in the office....
Well I could go on and on, I love it here! You could not ask for better hosts.

• Stayed January 2011
2 Thank VegaDarling
Whistler, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2010

Great left-handers offr troncones point!! Pat & Cel are nothing short of amazing people! bRAVO~~ BEST HOSTEL IN THE WORLD!!!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank machstelph
vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2010

Thank you Patrick and Celine for such an enjoyable week. I really enjoyed the surf trips which were accessible to me even being a beginner... and meeting great friends... and the cooking was so good. Everything so fresh, thanks for that awesome ahi recipe too...

This is an excellent place to stay for sun, sand, surf - in an english-speaking environment but still ample interaction with local culture. I'm grateful to find such a place, and was totally within my budget!

ps: "I got plowed by the Point" (surf)... but then I managed to ride one, lol

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank wingnut77
Also consider these accommodations in or near Troncones
The Inn at Manzanillo Bay
#2 of 7 in Troncones
Tronco Bay Inn Resort
Tronco Bay Inn Resort
#15 of 16 in Troncones

Been to Troncones Point Hostel? Share your experiences!