“dream holiday”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Troncones
Casa Delfin Sonriente
Ranked #10 of 15 Troncones B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 26, 2008

From the moment I arrived I was enchanted....
as the days went by I could not have been happier...everything was perfect, what more can I say....

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank charmeeeow

Reviewed August 26, 2008

I have stayed at Casa Delfin many times, by my self, with friends and with my family. Every time it is hard to leave. The staff is extremely courteous, especially with my small children. The breakfast may be the best deal on the beach. Glen is always accommodating, and we usually get to surf together a few times. We think of Casa Delfin as a hidden jewel. We will be back soon!!

• Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed August 26, 2008

Great spot. Very quiet laid back beach house environment. Great pool. Very nice staff. Not fancy . . . but a perfect place to unwind. The 2nd floor suites are really fun. Open air, 360 deg views. Good access to world class surf. Been there the last 8 Aprils in a row.

Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed August 26, 2008

I know Glen through mutual friends, and I've been visiting this area over the past 10 years in the single-minded pursuit of surfing. Glen's place was one of the first on the beach at Troncones, so he gets distinction for being one of the few "old school" expat settlers of the place & pioneers of the current B&B hotel format used down there. Since the early days, a lot has changed on Troncones & people have different types of places to choose from - from the most basic, to "theme" spots such as yoga retreats, to large very expensive compounds for the very wealthy. There's something for everyone.

If you want the friendly, basic-yet-comfortable beachfront experience, Glen's place is perfect. His staff will go out of their way to attend to guests, and the accommodations are great - as with any location, you need to know what to expect before you go. If you are expecting flat-screen TV, high threadcount, turndown service, etc, you should go to Ixtapa/Zihuat and fork over the pesos.

I've read a couple of the reviews of Glen's place with some amusement. I've stayed at Glen's, Casa Tortuga, a friend's private compound, Eden, and Inn at Manzanillo Bay, and eaten at all possible places, so I think I have pretty good perspective. I've also stayed at various places up the coast in Nexpa, Ticala, near Lazaro, etc., as all as 5-star Zihuat boutique hotels with my wife.

In my 20+ years of traveling in Mexico in pursuit of waves (I'm 36 now), I cannot recall being disappointed with authentic accommodations if I knew what to expect. Granted, I'm fluent in Spanish and I haven't had a run-in with bug chemicals as one guest reports. I did spend a night at Manzanillo Bay Inn on my way back from Nexpa a couple of weeks ago (Aug 08) and the rain leaked from the roof onto my bead, soaking it for the night. Place was full so I had to chuckle & deal with it. Stuff happens (materia sucede).

I'm not writing this review with the intention of defending Glen, although he is a friend of mine. I'm also not providing an in-depth review of his place, since that would require that I also review other 5-6 places I've stayed at down there. My point is this - Troncones is a wild, authentic area that has been "gentrifying" over the past few years. Most of us will have perfect experiences, and a few of us may have challenges. Challenges like these can be overcome with positive attitudes and the graciousness of the owners.

If you want to go to modern Mexican beach set-up with hotels little authenticity, and all the good/bad that goes with it, go to Fonatur's masterpiece known as Ixtapa.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 26, 2008

My wife, my daughter and I, live in Morelia which is a busy city three hours north from the beach. We really needed a break, and found The Delfin on the internet. We'd tried out several places on Troncones but never found one we really felt at home, but as soon as we settled in in the Delfin we knew this was the place for us. The Delfin is a house turned into a B&B but it feels like your own beach house. Everythings well-kept and clean, and the gardens are wonderful and were full of butterflies when we were there. We had a roof palapa, like a roof bungalow with lots of space. The great thing was that we could use the kitchen and the fridge, so we didn't have to go out to restaurants all the time. My daughter loved the pool and the owner even organized an afternoon painting club, and my wife and I loved the peace and quiet. You get all the beach towels you need. Oh yeah there's also an extra fridge with soft drinks and beers. You can just take whatever you like and write it down on a peace of paper, and settle the account later. We're going back soon!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed August 26, 2008

Just returned from probably my eighth stay at Glen's place in Troncones. As always a very relaxing and enjoyable stay. Great staff, comfortable rooms, and a unique and casual feel between the serve yourself beers and sodas and the afternoon hammock sessions on the beach. Bring a sizeable group and have Lulu cook dinner for you- it's the easiest and best food and deal you'll ever find. If you're looking for a real b/b experience with one of the original places in the area - this is it. MIght have to run back down in September.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 26, 2008

Our vacation plans started with a discussion over dinner one night with friends about how most of the Mexico destinations have changed some much over the years that one does not feel like they have left the states. When we travel we like to experience the local culture and its people.

Most of the typical Mexico destinations now have overpriced food and lodging (which is no longer authentic) and crowded cities and beaches. So our goal, if you so choose to accept it, was to find an area of Mexico where things haven't changed too much. Where the beaches were still beautiful, the food was authentic, it wasn't over-crowed and the culture hadn't changed for the worst to accommodate Americans.

We discussed many places and decided to investigate Zihuatanejo. Although this is a very nice town/city, it has gone over to the dark side. One definite sign: Time-shares galore! During our investigation of Zihuatanejo one of our group came across an article about Troncones and was very impressed. We visited Glen's website at www.casadelfinsonriente.com and were hooked from the start.

Here is my original article from our first trip (yes, we have been there twice now):
This modest villa is Casa Delfin Sonriente (House of the Smiling Dolphin). Simply said, this place rocks! Our group had two rooms upstairs and two rooms downstairs. I was lucky enough to stay in one of the upstair rooms and it was beautiful. Not to mention that the open-air design was just what I needed. I fell asleep each night to the crashing surf and awoke each morning to a flurry of birds in the trees. If your lucky Glen Novey, the owner, will be on hand. Glen was our personal tour guide, activity director, cook and information center. Glen's staff, Lulu and Oscar, were wonderful.

There are countless activities in Troncones including boogie boarding, mountain biking, hiking, snorkeling, fishing, and caving. Lets not forget eating, sleeping, drinking and tanning too.

A number of people expressed an interest in drinking beer - oops, I mean sport fishing. This area of Mexico boasts some of the best fishing in the world. Kim caught the big one this year with Chris not far behind - we all ate good the next night.

Our first trip was an absolute blast and we started planning our second which ended up being our honeymoon! This time we decided to venture out a bit and and check out some of the nearby towns. Glen came to the rescue again and he directed us some spots that few Americans know about.

The first was Pátzcuaro in the state of Michoacán. Now this was a 3 hour drive from his place but well worth the trip. Pátzcuaro is an Alpine city/town that was built in colonial times. Its what I have always pictured a "classic" Mexican town to look like. Large central square, open air markents and a beautifel stone church.

The second was Playa la Saladita. This is a world famous surfing beach yet without directions from the locals you will never find it. It is tucked away behind a coconut plantation about 20 minutes from Glen's and is well worth the trip. If you enjoy a great beach, good food (try the lobster) this is the place for you. Most times, unless it is the surfing season, you may have the entire beach to yourself. BTW, we found out that a Toyota Corolla cannot drive over a coconut.

I hope this review is helpful to everyone. I am off to plan my next trip to Troncones!

• Stayed: September 2005, traveled with friends