“Favorite Place in Mexico, home away from home”
Review of Casa Kukana

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sayulita
Casa Kukana
Denver
“Favorite Place in Mexico, home away from home”
Reviewed June 21, 2010

I love Casa Kukana and love the family operating the villas. The grounds are private, there is a pool, clean rooms, and jungle trails that I love to walk early in the morning and late in the afternoons. Divine, simply divine. I always feel safe and return repeatedly to this private slice of heaven on earth.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lula01

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
milwaukee
Reviewed February 22, 2010

This was a girls trip. My best girlfriend and I came here from Chicago for 5 days. It was amazing. Casa Kukana is exactly what we needed. The pictures dont do the grounds justice. It really is a private beautiful backyard with view of the main beach. It takes about 5-7min to walk down to the beach but it is a very steep walk therefore I would not advise for anyone with any physicial limitations. The pool is small and nice for a dip, we spend our whole day at the beach. We stayed at the english suite/studio. It was clean, small and cute. Next time if i came back I might prefer to stay at the 2 bedroom villa. You do share the backyard and pool with the other villa. susan the owner lives on top so you feel safe. I felt very very safe. this was imp for my husband as I was traveling with another girl and we were always very very safe. email me if you have questions. I hope to return and bring back my hubby. The food is amazing in sayulita and the ocean warm.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank dagmaras
Seattle
Reviewed November 22, 2009

From the handpicked stone walkways, architecture & pool to the ornately carved palapa, furniture and garden statues imported from Bali, this is a truly special place to enjoy the splendors of one of the most beautiful places on the continent. Just try to pry your eyes away from the view from the decks, gardens and pool, it is unbelievable.

The bungalows are tastefully done and appointed handsomely with art and decor that must have taken great effort. They are extremely comfortable and have everything necessary for a stay in a home away from home. The peaceful grounds, serene gardens and lawns are well kept with lots of palms and flowers. We felt as if we had our own secret villa! We cooked a lot of our own meals and enjoyed them either the kitchen table, on the deck, or by the pool. Bring home some smoked marlin from the seafood store by the bridge and make fish tacos!!! We loved it so much we packed some home with us.

We enjoyed our stay immensely and look forward to a return visit. Suzanne and her family plus her Manager Santiago and his wife Suzanna are friendly, caring, attentive and resourceful. Their knowledge of the town and its surroundings are priceless. It is definitely worth mentioning that in Sayulita they run the Buddha Mar, decorated stylishly in the same Bali style, with wonderful staff and drinks located near the beach. And at street level underneath is their boutique and spa carrying imported and local crafts, clothes and jewelry, with a relaxing and tranquil spa experience that we enjoyed very much.

We have been to Sayulita several times and stayed at many different properties, but now will never try another after our wonderful time at Casa Kukana.

For first time visitors to Sayulita, our one caveat to share with you is that this is not a resort town. Instead, thankfully, it is an opportunity to stay in beautiful rural Mexico and experience its culture, ocean, geography and food without the hang-ups of "packaged" (cookie-cutter) hotels and vacations. Expect some small challenges, to fend for yourself in some situations, restaurants and shops to open on their own schedules, and not have everything available at your fingertips 24 hours a day. All of which make the journey just as fun as the destination!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Qwazzar
San Diego
Reviewed November 16, 2009

I recently stayed at Casa Kukana in Sayulita while attending a wedding. What an incredible place it turned out to be. We had wonderful views of the ocean and village and just sat out by the pool for a hours on end. I would recommend that any who travels to Sayulita should stay at this place. It allowed to experience the vacation of a lifetime. Brad Powers

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SanDiegoHokies
homewood, california
Reviewed October 9, 2009

We stayed at Casa Kukana this August and got incredible rates due to the media from the swine flu. The hosts Suzanne and her house manager Santiago and Suzanna were there to meet us, made sure we were all set up in the house an explained how everything worked. We had daily maid service and the gardens and views were absolutely spectacular. The Moroccan has air conditioning so we had no trouble sleeping. The one thing that was a bit scary was the millions of crabs all over Sayulita, as they are land crabs and they come out in the rains and go to the beaches and nest....however, they did not come into the house at all. There are mosquitos in all of Sayulita during the summer months, but it was fine in the Moroccan as there are screens on the windows and doors. The storms were spectacular, thunder and lightning like I have never seen before.

The infinity pool is set on the edge of the property overlooking the surf break and Sayulita. One can spend their whole time just relaxing in the pool and in the yard. There was a barbeque there which we used many times, and it was cleaned the next day by Santiago. The moon rise was like nothing I have ever seen before!!

If one does not like to walk or exercise than Casa Kukana is not the place for you....it is not the four seasons, but rather an adventure in paradise. We all love to walk and I myself am a marathon runner and the jungle has some awsome trails. The summer is different than the winter, but it is also very beautiful and green and lush. Casa Kukana is next to the jungle, however that is what makes it special.

Suzanne and her family own the Buddha Mar and Restaurant as well, and we had a great time there...live DJ's and good dancing. They also have a spa and the guests at Casa Kukana get a "special deal" at their spa.

We have already made reservations to go back next year.

Missy Sandeman

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank happygirl57
Washington
Reviewed August 7, 2009

It is literally a 15 minute walk (through town) to the beach, I timed it. The walk back is ALL uphill. There is no other way to get to the beach unless you take a jungley, uneven, junk filled path. We tried to take the Villa Amor path (a STEEP cobblestone road), but it was either locked (15 ft high gates) or guarded. When we first arrived (on a saturday) there was no water. There was an EMPTY (and dirty...must be reused a lot) 5 gallon water tank that is only filled on mondays. The power kept going out during the HOT nights. Bring repellant!! I usually never complain, but this was a disaster! I wish we had stayed at the Villa Amor. Also, I would not recommend going to Sayulita during the rainy season (our summer). The ocean water is GROSS after it has rained. We saw workers scooping dead rats from the sand. Dont even get me started about the walk back to Casa Kukana when its raining. The roads are made of dirt, which turn into slippery mud during the rain. There are millions of mosquitos at Casa Kukana because its in the jungle. One of the houses, about 10 feet from the Casa Kukana entrance had a scary, barking guard dog that blocked the road and wouldn't let us pass. Luckily, the owner came out and called the dog back inside. Despite all those facts, the food was good and the people were nice. I loved eating breakfast at Paninos, lunch at Burrito Revolucion, and dinner at Calypso. Playa de Los Muertos is the best beach in sayulita...(except there are no waves)...because its clean and relatively empty. I also loved seeing all the baby crabs during the walks back to Casa Kukana at night. There is a public tennis court near the casa...so you might want to bring tennis equipment. The breath-taking views and amazing pool were the only nice features of the hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank slba57
Colorado
Reviewed May 10, 2009

To begin with we love Sayulita. It's not for everyone , especially pampered princesses. It is not Cabo or Cancun! There are no banks, no chain restaurants, no time share hustlers, no topless bars................just cobble streets, roosters, great food and extremely good margs. We found it comical that just outside the downtown area, cars would usually drive around the dogs sleeping in the middle of the street, rather than waiting for them to get up and move. We have stayed at many different homes in all parts of Sayulita. The Kukana is now my favorite. The little bungalow was small, but it was private and comfy and worth the price. (Yes the curtains are fairly transparent, but there are no homes or people who can see in) Also another plus, every other time we stayed in Sayulita, the roosters wake you up at about 3 or 4 in the morning. That's just rural Mexico. But not at the Kukana - that was nice for a change!
I would love to stay in the larger rental some time. It looked palatial- expansive tile decks for private outdoor seating and still w/ world class views. Did I mention the views? The Kukana is on one of the highest perches on the south part of the beach area. You can see the beach all the way to San Poncho.You can watch all of the activity on the beach far below. The gardening is just beautiful. It truly is paradise! You can sit in the hammock or one of the deck chairs and read until you fall asleep and drift off to heaven.
We always take the bus from PV to Sayulita. You don't need a car. It is nice to have a ride to the house, though, when you arrive to help carry your bags up the hill. But after that it is just a 4 or 5 minute walk into town. A brisk walk......... it is up on the hill. We made the jaunt at least twice a day.
In summary- Beautiful, way beautiful property. (I am so looking forward to staying in the larger area next time.) Maid service daily. Bottled water in room. Quiet , relaxing, on top of the world with truly extraordinary views! We recommend.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple