“Best Wedding Ever at Villa Amor!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Villa Amor

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sayulita
Villa Amor
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Sayulita
Los Angeles, California
“Best Wedding Ever at Villa Amor!”
Reviewed April 8, 2014

First of all - staying as a guest at Villa Amor is always a pleasure! Each villa is unique. This time, we stayed in La Gran Villa (the 3 bedroom at the top of the property) and it was exquisite! But all our wedding guests stayed in different villas and all claimed having gorgeous views and adorable accommodations. It's not a resort. It isn't the Ritz, but the villas are beautiful, unique, comfortable, and have AC (or at least most of them that I know of do).

Onto the wedding: We got married in March 2014. I know I'm biased, but so many of our friends came to us after the wedding weekend and said that it was "hands-down the best wedding they'd ever been to" that I know that it was a uniquely magical experience for our guests as well as my wife and myself.

Sayulita is a gem of a town - gorgeous, small enough to get around by foot but big enough to be entertaining for more than a week's stay. Everyone was so happy to be there that the wedding was the cherry on top!

At first, we were bummed to realize that we couldn't get married on the beach at Playa de Los Muertos because there is no electricity and thus no way to hook up sound (and the waves made it too hard for people to have heard the ceremony), but Karen, our wedding planner, created the perfect scenario for us in the sandy area (so we still had our feet in the sand) right next to and overlooking the beach and bay at Villa Amor.

The reception at the Gran Villa Patio at Villa Amor was stunning. The Cuban band was fun, and the DJ did a great job - no one left the dance floor til we kicked them out at 11:30 and moved the party to the beach :)

Karen made sure that everything ran smoothly. We felt that we were in good hands, which was calming on such an important day.

We also had our Friday night "rehearsal dinner" in the Paraiso Villa and brought in tacos and tequila from town and Karen organized the server and bartender, ice, cups, etc. and we had a man making hand-rolled cigars for our guests - which was a touch that was well worth it!
People couldn't get over the view or the villa!! Everyone mingled, made toasts, etc. and it was a beautiful evening.

I can't say enough good things about Karen, Sayulita, or Villa Amor.

Our friends thanked us over and over again for introducing us to Villa Amor and Sayulita. It was so much fun that we're planning a 1 year reunion at Villa Amor for everyone who was at the wedding :)

If you're on the fence - hop over it and say yes!

Oh - P.S. The weather was perfect in March :)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
brfnycsay, Owner at Villa Amor, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
First,,,thank tou for taking time to write a review for us,,,and for understanding what we are about. When the fit is good it works...and it is important guests speak with our reservations people to select the accomodation most suitable for them. If stairs are a problem there is no problem,,,we have at least 10 villas easy enuf for all but a wheel chair person...and only 2 su9itqable for wheel chair access. It is not important to climb high for great views either...every room has them here!!!!

Unfortunately i do not know other resorts that match what you are seeking...perhaps something in Belize or again in Costa Rica. You mi9ght also look into the town of Yelapa...a few hours south of us. It is very rugged,,,with one upscale hotel...and several good restaurants...check it out. Keep enjoying!!! BARBARA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Little Silver, New Jersey
Reviewed March 30, 2014

I stayed here during my adventure with Las Olas, all woman's surfing adventure and by myself. I stayed in Del Sol and Circo. The town and this resort are magical. This is not the Ritz or anything even like it...it is unique, of its own. You can stay on lower levels if you do not want to walk to your room...or shall we say hike...but if you walk or hike, your room will be individually , appointed in true Mexican style, organic soaps and shampoos...fresh drinking water and incredible views...Flores has it's own infinity pool with 2 shared bedrooms....awesome!! The food ( breakfast and dinner) was also excellent and the staff very helpful and always with a smile. All in all, I would absolutely stay here again and I hope to be back soon! Gracias!!

Room Tip: Del Sol lower level, 2 bedrooms shared kitchen and living area, great view Circo, King bed studio...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
brfnycsay, Owner at Villa Amor, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Wow,,,there is really not much more to say than Perfecto!!!!! We are so pleased you enjoyed your surf week with LasOlas...It is always our total pleasure towatch their guests go from rank beginners to comfortable surfers... We understand it brings to each of you such great feelings of accomplishment. How wonderful you got to enjoy that,,,and us too. Hpe we see you again,,,Barbara
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 28, 2014

My teenage daughters and I recently stayed at Villa Amor with the Los Olas surf sarfari group. We liked it so much that we asked to stay on for an additional three nights. The staff were extremely helpful in getting us two rooms over the three nights during the peak high season (March 2014) period. In the end they even managed to arrange for us to remain in one room without having to move around for all three additional nights. The staff are friendly and accommodating. They go out of their way to be truly helpful - from room arrangements to taxis back to the airport (with a negotiated better rate) to restaurant recommendations, The manager, Norma and her entire team, (especially Karina, Ricardo, Earnesto and even the night watchman, Gadelupe) were extremely professional and service oriented.

Room Tip: The separate "villa" are spectacular. We stayed in the Villa Flores (141 steps up) for th...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
brfnycsay, Propietario at Villa Amor, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
Thank you so much for taking time to compliment our staff, I agree with you 100%. Your vacation was made better by them,,,and my life in general is made better by them! A day does not go by that I dont have many similar comments to make as you just did...Thank you for enjoying,,,and even more for telling us. Hope to see you back with us,,,now that you are all almost professional surfers!!!!!

Barbara
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 17, 2014

My son and daughter-in-law chose Villa Amor as the place for their wedding. It was also a vacation for many of us. The entire visit was amazing. The hotel is nestled in the hills on the coast just outside of a safe and friendly small town. You can walk to town (I did at least 2 times a day!) or use a golf cart. The staff went beyond expectations, even coming to my villa when I was not feeling well to make sure I was okay. The villas are elegant - simple in design, full of color and comfort and a kitchen. You felt pampered without the big hotels and tourists. I chose to purchase food in town and cook my breakfast and lunch. Bottled water is readily available (no drinking from the water taps). My villa (they are all different) opened completely to the balcony. I slept each night with the sounds of the surf and each morning swam the length of the beach followed by a run that went into and around town. The beach, a small cove, is clean and welcoming, the water warm. It also holds the local fishermen's boats! The wedding was by the beach and truly amazing, with the reception and dinner outside the Grande Ville until 11:30pm, when it moved into town to continue celebrating. For all of this, the staff and restaurant (they are not part of the hotel) were amazing. The food is all organic. We all agreed we should be back each year. It is a beautiful, quiet, small part of Mexico that I hope stays this way. I highly recommend it and plan to return myself.

Room Tip: Each room is different and separately owned, hence furnishing are different. The pictures do not te...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
brfnycsay, Owner at Villa Amor, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed March 11, 2014

This hotel is gorgeous! It's at the end of the coast, and the individual rooms are literally built into the jungle. It's is NOT a fancy luxury hotel, but it is amazing; like a hotel tree house. My husband and I stayed in Vista Verde and our friends stayed in Tranquilta. The rooms are brightly colored and simply decorated. Our room had a wonderful balcony. The bathroom had shutters, so it was pretty open to the weather. The bedroom had glass doors to close off the balcony and an air conditioner. Our rooms were very clean. The staff was constantly beautifying the grounds - painting, raking, mopping, etc. The service was outstanding! The concierge desk, especially Carina, is very helpful. They will make arrangements for whatever you need and offer great recommendations. I would absolutely stay here again and recommend it to all my friends and family!

Room Tip: Our pillows were not great, but I'm pretty particular about that, and I didn't ask for new o...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
brfnycsay, Owner at Villa Amor, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Thank you for taking time to review Villa Amor...and I agree,,,Carina is a delight!!!!! We do our constant best to please guests and always try to inform them and match the guest to the room...very important in an open air jungle with stairs!!!! We have gone so far as to post a viceo on web showing in detail just how hard it may be to walk to your chosen villa...and certainly Floris is a high up one. A golf cart would not have been suggested for the driveway as we also agree it is often too steep...but we can always show you the slightly longert route thru town to reach the high up villas. Thank you for understand what we are,,,and I agree: we are not a sealed off cookie cutter 5 star resort...we are a whole different story...perfect fortunately for many but a poor fit for some. I agree,,,,choose your room with discussion and thought...and you will be well matched and happy. Thank you again,,,Barbara
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 9, 2014

I stayed at the Villa Amor at the end of February 2014. I had a great time and cannot say anything bad about the service/front desk. The location has a wonderful view and is a 5 minute walk from the main area of town. Sayulita is a wonderfully cute surfer town and has great tiny restaurants. I felt safe the entire time. However, for this resort and for the price, I think it's important for people to understand this hotel due to all the mixed reviews.
1. Do your research of the rooms before you book. We chose the room Flora and had a breathtaking view and mini infinity pool, but there were over 100 steps from the front desk to the room that I don't remember being advertised. We were the second highest villa. We could have rented a golf cart to take us up to the top, but the road is so steep, I would have felt uncomfortable using it.
2. There is no telephone in the room to access the front desk.
3. Hot water is touch and go. We were there for a wedding so when everyone was showering to get ready for dinner, we heard a lot of our friends complain they had cold showers.
4. Our living room and kitchen were outside and our rooms had romantic louvered doors to see a beautiful view of the ocean with A/C to use if you needed it, but it would be very hard to escape the humidity and any outdoor "friends" -lizards, spiders. We saw these but had no trouble. Our room also did not have full separate bathroom. There was a partition for the shower and bathroom but privacy was limited.
5. We were told to pay the full amount for our stay before we even arrived.
6. We had no wifi in our room. We could only get service if we sat downstairs at the restaurant.
7. There is no communal pool. Villa Amor is well located to two beaches. Ask the front desk about the more quiet, secluded beach.
Sayulita cannot be matched in this part of Mexico for its charm and Villa Amor has plenty of it, just do some research before you stay.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mary Ellen C
brfnycsay, Owner at Villa Amor, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Hello and thank you for taking the time to review Villa Amor. I am happy you liked our views,,,our rooms,,,our restaurant which is privately owned and operated. The room rates include taxes and often built in gratuity for some of our employees. Labor is often less costly in Mexico...but everything else is more costly for us...incluudint maintaini ng the electronics we all enjoy and need now...air conditioning and wifi. We would like if our room rates cvould be a little lower....but it is simply not possible. I am sure you will understand...and thank you again for enjoying us. Barbara
San Francisco
Reviewed March 9, 2014

We had a lovely stay here. Rooms were spacious, clean and tastefully decorated. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Would certainly stay here again. Right by the beach and close enough to walk to town - it was a great beach getaway.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
brfnycsay, Owner at Villa Amor, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review for4 us. Hotels and other establishments catering to the traveler depend more and more on the r4eactions of guests...and your review will help others make up their mind to stay with us. Thank you,,,Barbara
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sayulita
Amor Boutique Hotel
#3 of 20 in Sayulita
Iberostar Playa Mita
Iberostar Playa Mita
#3 of 11 in Punta de Mita

Been to Villa Amor? Share your experiences!