“Be carefull”
Review of Villa Amor

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sayulita
Villa Amor
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Sayulita
Reviewed February 8, 2014

I stayed with friends and kids at villa Amor this past Christmas in one of the most expensive villa (1000$ per night) at the top of the property. villa Amor has some golf carts for some villas but you can get yours as the road to get up there is very steep and stairs quite hard to climb especially past a certain age. Unfortunately, Villa Amor does not it warm its customers that golf cart are not strong or stable enough to drive up there and should not be driven on such steep road and we had an unfortunate accident. The cart tipped and rolled over. We were lucky that our kids were not in the cart that night. I was the only injured fortunately for my 3 other friends. I broke my foot had stiches and spent 7 weeks in a cast and had to bear medical expenses. At the time of the accident and the morning after NOBODY from management came to see us before we left ( we left at 12pm the day after which was ample time). I contacted villa Amor to ask for reimbursement as there is a clear negligence, no warning signs and residents should be warned when they rent the most expensive villa on top of the property. I had no answers to my mail or very polite answers telling me basically, to file a claim through a lawyer in Mexico...if i had a claim. We were 6 onsite when this happened. Clearly this place does not value its customers, its service and its product.
stay away !!! there are many other lovely place around the bay.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank Heavytraveler1000
brfnycsay, Manager at Villa Amor, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

I am the owner manager of the operation known as Villa amor Hotel. The morning after the accident I immediately called the hospital where this reviewer was taken and learned he had left Mexico and flew home. I then emailed him and expressed my sincere apologies for his injury and wished him a speedy recovery. After that initial contact our Administrator for the Home Owners Association (we are 35 privgately owned condominiums) wrote to the gentleman and suggested he contact our insurance company regarding the matter. I do not know how or why this fell thru cracks...but perhaps it did.

I spoke with our night watchman who was on duty the night of the injury, he informs me the golf cart did in fact tip over...and he saw the injured man and 4 others at the scene.

This cart was rented privately,,,we had nothing to do with it,,,and when and if we are involved with the rental of a cart we always instruct the parties to never HAVE MORE THAN 4 INDIVIDUALS ON THE CART AT ANY TIME. I do not know if these guests were so warned by whomever they rented their cart from.

The road is steep...and on any given day there are at least 4 or 5 rental carts used on it. This is the first time an i njury occured. It is unfortunate it happened at all,,,but I believe that if proper care were taken it would not have happened. The accident was around 11Pm......after the gluests came home from enjoying the town and restaurants of Sayulita.

I am sorry anyone was hurt,,,but Villa Amor cares very much about the welfare of our guests....we would never have ignored the incident and trlied to contact the individual but he had flown home the very next morning. I have been in touch with him several times....and the Administrator even went so far as to suggest the guest speak with someone who could inform him of laws and procedures in Mexico. Once this incident was turned over to the insurance carrier we were not permitted to make additional contact.

Barbara Roche

Reviewed February 4, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Villa Amor (Bonita) for 6 nights this past December as an anniversary trip / baby-moon. Overall, it was the worst vacation experience we've ever had. We're hoping this review will help others with similar travel expectations avoid the same experience.

1. We paid an extra $150 upfront for a prearranged shuttle to/from the airport with a grocery stop. After standing in the airport for 15 minutes with no sign of the car service, we called the hotel. We were then tossed in a cab (with no stop at a grocery store) and driven to the hotel. They never credited us the price.

2. The property literally straddles a public road used by all who travel through the town - busy from sun-up till bar close. You can actually "drive-up" to the front desk and potentially be hit by a motorcycle or car when entering/exiting some of the ground level villas. Off-leash dogs (who regularly stop to urinate on resort property) and local merchants selling crafts/jewelry/food are constant.

3. After being greeted by a host and a few large moths that had taken up residence in our room, we were told the in-room safe was for the owner's use only and if we wanted to lock up our valuables, we'd need to bring them down to the front desk. Note: the "locks" on the doors are not secure.

4. The WiFi for our villa was also for "the owner's use only" and the other guest WiFi networks work roughly 20% of the time.

5. There is no resort pool. If the villa you reserve does not have it's own private dipping pool, you will only be able to swim at the public beaches. Villa Amor does not have any private beach access. Both public beaches were extremely crowded while we were there, and you must arrive early and pay a daily fee to a local restaurants/surf shop if you'd like to sit in an actual beach chair.

6. There is no room service. The onsite restaurant is not owned by the resort and does not offer official room service, they will bring food up in disposable containers "if they are not busy", but be prepared to eat your mediocre pancakes on paper plates accompanied by a Ziploc baggie of syrup.

7. There are no phones in the villas, which means if you need something or have an issue arise you must either use your personal cell phone or walk down to the roadside front desk to have it addressed (which at night means walking down steeps steps in the dark).

8. The walk in/out of town is a bit of a hike. Short of calling a cab, there is no other means for transportation to/from town. With the exception of a few portions, all of the roads are dirt, which turns to complete mud when/if it rains.

To be fair, some of the things we were disappointed in we should have sussed out while doing our research. But many other issues are simply not acceptable from a hotel with a nightly rate > $400, regardless of whether or not they classify themselves as a “luxury” resort.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Annonshax
brfnycsay, Manager at Villa Amor, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

I shall list responses to this review in a numerical order...similar to that used by the reviewer. First, let mne say Villa Amor is not for evñeryone!!! Villa
Amor is for the sophisticated independent traveler who long ago gave up on the prepackaged generic cookie cutter type resport this reviewer might possibly have been more comfortable with.

1. Upon arrival at Villa Amor the full transportation was returned to the male partner in the couple. It was Christmas/New Year week and the transportation companies were backed up because of heavy unexpected rains...and were late for this couple. We provide transportation for probably 70% of our guests and a problem like this does not happen more than twice a year. I am sorry it did happen this time. Why the guests felt thrown into a taxi is beyond me....and I have nothing to say about it. If the taxi were purtchased at an autorized desk in the airport the reviewer could easily have stipulated they wanted to stop at the supermarket. Obvoiously they did not do this.

There is definitely a road that runs in front of Villa Amor. It is evident in every picture on the internet of our property and when a guest selects the least costly villas on that road we always inform them of the issues with these few inexpensive villas. This reviewer was on a hoigher floor and the road was absolutely no problem for them. Checking in,,,every gesut checks in and out...and fortunately no other guest ever felt so uncomfortable about the road which is in truth more a driveway thru the property than a real road.

This guest informed us on arrival that the safe in their room was locked,,,since the owner of thevilla had unfortunately taken away their code and their key we could not open this safe. We immediately sent an employee into Vallarta to Home depot to purchase a safe for this room,,,which was installed first thing the next morning.

One of the charms of Villa Amor is that we are built into the lower mountains and surrounxcded by jungle. Jungle brings with it some insects!!!!!!! I am concerned that this reviewer felt upset by a pair of moths...but have no further comment to make regarding this.

I am 76 years old...I life at Villa Amor and walk into town , either on the beach or the beach road every day. I can not imagine why this writer found this 5 to 8 minute stroll a hike.....

WiFi....due to our proximity to mountains, jungle, ocean and wind our wifi is an iffy situation....which we are constantly working on improving. At no time is the wifi inooperable all over Villa Amor...occasiohnally it is weak in a villa but super strong in the restaurant or office area and our guests seem quite content to walk with their smart phones etc. looking for the best reception...I wish it were super strong all over,,,and maybe it will be some day...but no one goes without wifi here......escept when it goes down in the entire geographical area for a day or so. This does happen and is beyond our control.

Beaches in Mexico are all public!!!!! This is how governments who are concerned for the well being of their citizens are able to insure beach access for all. Yes,,,there are areas where the area for about 100 feet or so are fuilled with rental lounge chairs,,,just as it is all over Europe. Always, scattered adjacent to and between these beach chair areas are empty stretches of open beach where any guest may lay out their towel or blanket and not be required or expected to purchase from a restaurant. This guest was here for Christmas week....the second businest week in the year!!! and the beach is therefore more crowded than any other time. If the writer wanted desertec beaches a 15 minute walk in either direction would have taken them to same.,,,either Carrisitos on South or the long empty stretch between Sayulita and the next town San Pancho.

Every villa at villa amor has a food preparation area...from simple coffee making to an elaborate US style fully equipped kitchen. IN addition there are about 70 restaurants in our little town plsu the one right at Villa Amor. At least 15 of the restaurants will deliver....as does the O restaurant...but it is not room service,,,it is simply the delivery of requested food and arrives in plastic or paper containers or boxes.

While we have offered to lend or rent cell phones to guests this is rarely a chosen option as just about every guest arrives with their own phone these days...and is able to call the desk or restaurant with their needs.

Why anyone would even consider a taxi to get into town is inconceivable to me....it is about an 8 minute walk...W]hen our desk notices a person,,,guest or not with a walkingt difficulty we are quick to offer a golf cart lift.

The town of Sayulita is the reason to come here,,,and the absolute best place to stay when visiting Sayulita is Villa Amor. It offers the opportunity to be in an authenticd Mexican village yet sleep and relax in comfort, with aircon, electgrlicity,,functioning baths,,,etc etxc etc....If a guest is only ok in a sealed off slice of everywhere we are not for them......It is unfortunate this guest chose a town and hotel that did not match their needs. I suspect they would have been happier at a Holiday Inn type place......with fences and gates separating them from the real Mexico.

Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

We were very disappointed in our stay at Villa Amor. The room was very clean with great views but it lacked all qualities of a room with a $$$ nightly rate should have had. Our entry door was secured with a chain and master lock (no knob or deadbolt) The Shower dripped cold water, lamps were broken, plugs did not work and best of all "absolutely no bathroom privacy" it was out there for all to see. Our request for repairs were ignored three times. Sadly we will not be back.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
6  Thank Phoeniciangrl
brfnycsay, Owner at Villa Amor, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Thank you for taking time to write such a lovely and positive revieew for us, your |100% rating is honestly matched by our constant 100% committment to do our very best for each and every guest. Naturally it makes us feel good when our work is well recieved. Thank you, Barbara

Reviewed January 21, 2014

We stayed at Villa Amor last xmas and this year we only went for New Years Dinner. We rented a house on the other side of the beach that was not what we expected. So I am writing this review to express the fact that we missed Villa Amor and regretted not staying there again.. it's a fun environment with fun people walking around. Check it out for a nice time in Sayulita!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed January 16, 2014

Lovely, just lovely
It was exactly like the photos no surprises except for the magic that was waiting there and the lovely people we encountered at every turn, staff, fellow travellers, towns people.......

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank sc0uty

Thank you....there is nothing more I can say then we truly appreciate your appreciation. Please return...Barbara

Reviewed January 15, 2014

First of all, I would like to say that Villa Amor is a breathtaking property and was a great place for my first Sayulita experience. Staff was pleasant, property was lovely, safe and clean. My boyfriend and I stayed in the Bonita suite. We traveled with 3 other couples who also stayed at Villa Amor in their own rooms, the Delfin, the Peninsula and another.

This is where I am a little disappointed. The rate we paid for Bonita was $320 per night. All of the other groups paid $120-220. Did Bonita have the best views? Absolutely. However, our friends who stayed in Peninsula, and were located directly below us had a similar view. Almost identical.

These condo units are owned by Private owners. I am sure they contribute to the price of the rate. The owner of Bonita took me for a ride. It was a lovely one, but very overpriced. Additionally we were told that the safes in the Bonita room were for the owner's use only. This made us a little uneasy, as the others all had access to a safe. Villa Amor offered to keep any of our belongings at the desk, but in my mind it kind of defeats the purpose.

My word of advice - stay in the Peninsula. You will still have A/C, be able to "close" the room from the outside living area and have a spectacular view. You will even have fewer steps to climb (which there are many).

Last thing - leave all high heels and wedges at home ladies. You will NOT want to be wearing these for the walk to town. Also if traveling around this time of year, bring a jacket for night time.

Room Tip: Definitely worth getting a room with ocean view. Keep in mind that there are A LOT of hills and step...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank jbangert

Hello,,,The actual owner of this villa has been trying to respond to you but has not been able to thru his email. I will forward you his contact info. under other cover. First,,,it may seem strange,,,but what you refer to as a slightly better ocean view is in fact a huge difference when valuing the price of an individual villa. Bonita is at the end of a building,,,with probably 270 degrees of wide open ocean vista.....the glorious view in Peninsula,,,a fabulous wide open ocean view is reduced to about 180 degrees as the view is entirely one side. I know this is cutting hairs,,,but when it comes to views,,,like qyuality of snow at a ski resort a little makes a big difference. Truth be told I am sorry you were less than thrilled...and I know the owner of the villa is too. Lets figure out what we can do to make you come back to us,,,and be happier next time. Let me know!!!! Barbara

Reviewed January 1, 2014

We recently stayed in the La Paz unit. It is an absolutely beautiful, open-air design, two bedroom, two and a half bath unit with a palapa covered kitchen and living room and a private swimming pool. The linens were extraordinarily clean and soft. Even the soap was wonderful. Nothing, however, can compete with the view over Sayulita or the sound of the surf crashing below as you drop off to sleep. Please do, however, ask about the stairs before you book. There are 107 rather steep steps to get to this unit. Even our young nephew found it difficult to go up and down more than a couple times a day. They do have other units without the climb, but of course, then the view will not be as magnificent. Also, the pool is not heated, and since it is well shaded, the water was quite chilly.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family