“A PERFECT DAY and then ANOTHER!”

Sayulita sailing explorations
More attraction details
Owner description: Sayula 1 is a Custom 50ft Sailing Trimaran with all the luxuries on board for an amazing day on the Bay. Capt. Darrin has been sharing & teaching his passion of sailing good times & sailing with the whales with people for 25 years in many ports around the world before making Sayulita , Mexico his home. There is no other Boat , Crew or Captain that will give you the memorable time you will have on board Sayula 1 , "As said by many" . Great food & Open Bar , Being towed off the back of the boat with a Margarita in hand.Cool breeze'zzz , Sailing along with the dolphins , whales , Etc , lots of Deck Cushions & plenty of shade . Sailing is always a big part of our day. Sit back & relax or help out with the hoisting of the sails, "always a great photo opportunity ".The snorkeling is excellent in the winter months at the Islands . Videos of trips past are on you tube under Sayulita Sailing Explorations.These show what a unique personal boat Sayula 1 is.Our office is located right on the bridge coming into Sayulita , you can't miss it , "Sayulita Sailing Explorations" Stop in and say hello & don't miss an amazing day on the water with us while visiting Sayulita & the surrounding area's...
Reviewed November 24, 2013

My husband and I were spending the day in Sayulita when a very nice guy approached us and asked us if we'd be interested in sailing to the Marieta Island on Thursday. We had both talked about wanting to do a trip like this, but we were not interested on getting on a large commercial type of boat with a bunch of other people. We weren't available for his Thursday trip, but when we told Capt Darrin that we were planning on driving to Boca and taking the water taxi to Yelapa the next day, he thought for a moment and then said he hadn't a trip scheduled for that day and offered to take us there on his 50' trimaran. We took him up on this great offer and had a magical and super fun day sailing across Banderas Bay from La Cruz Marina to Yelapa. It was such a peacefully wonderful day with only 4 of us on board. The Sayula 1 is a very comfortable boat with great places to settle back and enjoy the scenery! We took a second trip with him on Friday, our last day, to the Marieta Islands. There were two other couples and two others aboard for that trip, and it was another perfect day!
Darrin provided kayaks to explore with. We snorkeled and swam, as well.
When our first stopping point was busy with a large crowd from other boats, Darrin improvised, and took us to another and more secluded spot to swim and play until the other boats left. We had a great sail back and stopped at another beach to swim some more. I highly recommend taking a trip with Darrin, especially if you are someone who likes to feel like a native and not a tourist, with a personal experience, instead of a large group one. We felt like family! Great food, wonderful music, good people, incredible day! Can't wait to go back!

Reviewed November 19, 2013

Some in our group of 9 (all adults) had just ONE more day before leaving Sayulita and wanted to find something that we could all enjoy. I was a little skeptical about signing up, since the last boat trip like this I took in Croatia was really not an enjoyable experience. But as soon as we got to port and saw our boat and crew for the day, I was thrilled already. Most of the other sailboats in the port boarding guests for the day were much larger and appeared to be set up for partying and nothing else. I like to have some drinks and let loose, but want to actually have an actual experience while I'm doing it--I can get drunk and loud on a pontoon at home in Kansas if that's all it's going to be about.

The sailboat for Sayulita Sailing Expenditions was beautiful, clean and set up perfectly so that our group of 9 and other groups (think we had over 20 total) could have a great place to perch and enjoy the extremely relaxing trip out to the Mariettas. When I saw the sails, I wondered if we were actually going to use them and sure enough--as soon as we got away from port, the captain called for volunteers to hoist the main sail :).

The crew was extremely polite and attentive, and provided some amazing snacks and lunch. We could choose Margaritas, Rum Punch or beer--as much as we wanted. The margaritas were REALLY good. The music was perfect too and the captain even took requests and asked for others to throw their IPODs on ithe speaker system if they wanted to.

My Dad had wanted to fish. The boat had 2 lines out and fished while underway, so as soon as their was Fish On--he was busy reeling them in for awhile. Even though he normally likes to do the whole process himself--the fish were alot of fun to catch so he was very happy!

I had been out the Mariettas before in a Panga, this was a way different experience. The snorkeling was awesome and there were kayaks on board for anyone who wanted to use them. The only downside of the island was that all of the other sailboats (the big ones in the port that I was glad that I wasn't on) were also swimming/snorkeling at the islands. But, it did give another opportunity for our group to be so happy with our choice of sailboat for the day. On the way back, even though it was past the time we had paid for on the trip, the captain stopped at another beach--for more swim/snorkel/kayak time. It was beautiful. The other boats didn't stop there.

I can't remember the last time I had such a relaxing day on vacation (I take alot of active adventure trips). Great choice--boat, crew, music, food, drinks, activities . . . not one thing I would complain about. Thank you!

Date of experience: November 2013
Reviewed November 13, 2013

My wife and I met Darrin at the carnecaria in Sayulita and immediately liked the idea of going for a day trip on his trimaran. We headed out with him the very next day with my in-laws and 7 year old boy. We had a fantastic day of sailing, swimming, snorkeling and even caught a fish! Lunch on the boat was really good and the whole crew was quite attentive to keeping everyone happy and refreshed. There is something for everyone on this trip and I highly recommend it for young and old!

Date of experience: November 2013
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Captain Darrin and his crew showed us THE BEST TIME! We sailed out, went to an island to do some snorkeling and cave exploring. Sailed some more. Headed to a small beach where we checked out the beach and swam again in the warm and beautiful ocean. Jumped and dove off of the boat... and sailed back. FULL DAY and it was amazing! The food and drink on board was SUPERB and we couldn't have asked for a better day! Would highly highly recommend!

See more reviews
Reviewed October 19, 2013

My wife and I were mucking about the quaint town of Sayulita after a day of surfing when a friendly, tall man asked us if we would like to join his sailing charter as he had, had a couple cancel due to sickness and he could give us a good rate. Intrigued we listened and agreed to join the group the following day. Captain Darrin explained the pickup locations and times to us and was prompt the following day. After showing the whole tour all of the safety services on board the boat we set sail. Captain Darrin is a wealth of knowledge of the area and his modesty at his sailing experience is refreshing rather than the usual bravado. The tour is for all ages, with youngsters having a chance to man the wheel under Darrins watch, assist hoisting sails, set fishing lines and be kids. Our tour had a great mix of young and old and the crew made sure all passengers were equally attended too. A guest wanted to take pics and the boat stopped so that we could take pictures and enjoy watching the porpoises dive around the bow of the boat. Later one of the crew, who had been trolling for fish, landed one and made us amazing sushi right there. Captain Darrin knows what families want and told the youngsters great pirate stories about the bay, interesting sealife facts and history before pulling us into Marieta Island. It was neat to listen to Darrin and his crew as they all respect the environmental sensitivity of the area, and they expect all guests to follow their lead. Here Captain Darrin and crew joined us in a great bout of snorkelling with schools of beautiful fish, vivid coral sea bottoms, bird watching, and beach combing for shells and neat pieces of driftwood. We enjoyed a tasty fresh lunch,and a cold drink prepared by the staff and then boarded the boat for the return. Again the vibe on the boat was euphoric, with great music, friendly staff, happy strangers chatting as though we were long time friends. This is a great value and a better tour than my review describes. It was a pleasure to be out in the sun, being catered to by great staff, learning about the region and being fully confident in the safety of the boat and the crew. If a tall, sun bleached, English speaking fellow introduces himself to you or your family as Captain Darrin whilst in Sayulita, do your mind, your kids, your self a favour and go on the tour. It's inexpensive, great value and leaves you with memories never too be forgotten. A+