See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed November 14, 2009

What a great place to relax, unwind and re-energize. The hosts/owners were extremely welcoming and helpful in every way to ensure our stay was hassle free. Their suggestions for activities, restaurants etc... were bang on every time. They know the place and people so well we felt we had personal guides! You simply must try Yolanda's grilled chicken! We used our kitchen for breakfast and could get supplies from 2 different markets in town only 5 minutes away. The beach was beautiful with gold flecks in the sand and picture perfect surfer waves! And the margaritas were amazing!!! All in all a wonderful vacation that I wish to repeat yearly!!!

Date of stay: April 2009
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed November 13, 2009

We've been to Sayulita many times and have stayed at Xocotla the last two. The location is perfect; a short walk to the town square and the beach, but far enough up the hill to remove you from most of the noise and commotion. The site is lush and restful and the tree canopy, combined with the breeze from the ocean keeps it much cooler than in the town center. The small pool provides the perfect cooling off spot after a day of exploring. The suites are an absolute delight, with wonderful styling and decorative touches throughout; a tribute to the artistic aptitudes of the hosts, Michael and David, who are, by the way, a most charming and friendly pair.

Date of stay: January 2009
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 13, 2009

Xocotla surpassed all of our expectaions! We knew from the photos online that Xocotla would be beautiful... but we had no idea how truly beautiful it was!

Everything was taken care of for us from the time we arrived to when we checked out. The rooms are modern and beautifully decorated with traditional Mexican colors and handicrafts. The added bous is that it's on top of all the action and reasonably priced. You won't find a better bang for your buck in Sayulita.

Nothing is forgotten at Xocotla! There is a unique attention to detail and much thought has gone into the comfort of their guests. From towels supplied for the beach to laundry service. Oh yes....and don't forget to read and sign the guest book.

We have had the good fortune of staying there twice and have plans to return in the future. If you have the privilege of spending some time in Sayulita...Xocotla is a must!

Feel free to contact us

The Bertin Family=)

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Date of stay: April 2008
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 13, 2009

I have worked in retail for over thirty years so when I vacation I demand a place that provides sanctuary from the hustle and bustle of my daily life through good service, pleasant and peaceful surroundings and a true sense of comfort. I have found such a place in Xocotla . The rooms(I am a repeat visitor so have tried them all) are simply decorated in a manner that gives you a sense of the surrounding culture as well as great comfort and wonderful views. My favourite spot is the grotto by the pool where I go everyday post beachtime to enjoy a good read or nap.
Sayulita retains the charm of a small fishing/surfing village while offering a number of excellant(and varied) restaurant/cuisine choices. If I get tired of eating out I use my own kitchen(1 in every suite) which comes fully equipped allowing me to prepare anything from snacks to full course meals.
The sounds of the local roosters is startling at first(they can go on allnight) but I have always adapted and by day 2 they simply don't disturb my slumber.
I love this place and have booked again for next year already!

Date of stay: April 2009
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank Oscar048
Reviewed October 26, 2009

we checked into Xocotla on Gringo Hill the evening of Oct 17. Because of concerns about ATM's we(5 of us)had brought enough money- pesos and USD to last us a week. We each took some money with us to go for dinnerand locked the rest in lock boxes in our bungalows. We were gone for about 2 to 2.5 hrsand on our return we each went to our bungalows to change for a dip in the pool. I also went to our lock box to get some money to give to one of our party and found NO money left except some Canadian Dollars. On checking the other two lock boxeswe found they were all empty of money. Our passports and wallets were still there thank god. The front door of the bungalos was locked, each room was locked and the lock boxes were still locked on our returnso it had to be someone with keysfor each. We lost approximatly $2200 USD between the bunch of us. We allerted the owners and met with them 2 days later but they basicly told us that what we were telling them was not possible(calling us liers in their way)and don't seem to be taking it seriously. SO a word of warning it's not only the ATM's that can rip you off. As we told the people moving into the place as we were leaving -- DO NOT KEEP MONEY OR OTHER VALUABLES IN THE LOCK BOXES. No matter what you are told

Date of stay: October 2009
Trip type: Traveled with friends
6  Thank debi63115
ToesInSandSayulita, co-owner at Xocotla, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2009

I am the co-owner of Xocotla. When we met with Debi and her husband after the alleged incident, we offered to escort them to the police to file a theft report. They declined. We then offered to help them open a police investigation into our much-trusted manager. They declined. We have changed the locks and the safes. We believe we have done all that we can do regarding this alleged incident. We have never had any problem with theft before or since at Xocotla and pride ourselves on our long-term and caring staff.