“new owners.....same ambience”

Gowdys of Down Royal
Ranked #12 of 113 Restaurants in Lisburn
Cuisines: Irish, Bar, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
lisburn
“new owners.....same ambience”
Reviewed October 12, 2013

friends had been and suggested we went along........had the seafood chowder followed by sirloin.......wife had parfait and chicken supreme....service excellent ....food very good and reasonably priced.....

warwick
“oh dear”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

simply really disapointing. Was looking fwd to it due to reviews. We arrived and were given a "table". The actual table could not be brought close to the seat, meaning you couldn't actually reach the table with your food. We had to swap the children to sit on high seats just so they could reach the table. I kid you not, this is the 1st time I have ever been to a resturant where I had to eat my meal on my lap, as I couldn't reach the table !

Ordered a Carlesberg and a Harp came and many more issues that just arent worth mentioning.

All in all, not great and at just shy of £50 for 2 adults and one child, not really worth the money.

Limerick, Ireland
“Excellent food”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Friendly, comfortable. Nice blazing fire. Plenty of parking spaces.
Food took little while to arrive but was well worth it. Very nice food,

Visited August 2013
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Cannot believe I live less than 2 miles from here & only just tried it”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I have lived near this place for almost a year and only decided to try it yesterday for the first time after a recommendation a few months ago. My fiance and I decided to go out for lunch since we both had the same day off.
Exterior wise it looks like your average country pub, I think there are big gardens to the rear with views of the Down Royal Racecourse but we didn't take a good look. But what a surprise when you walk through the door. The decor is lovely, it really does have that sort of country local pub feel and is surprisingly spacious. We were seated immediately. When we looked at the menu we were surprised as the prices were very reasonable. I ordered chicken and the fiance had a steak sandwich. When the food came out it just looked so nice, presentation was good but the biggest surprise was that the steak sandwich actually contained a big piece of steak unlike some places you go where you would get small cut up bits. Taste wise it was soooo good, may have got too greedy and took a large piece of chicken in my mouth and nearly burnt it as the food was just that warm (good complaint as some places take ages to bring food out and it may have dried out under heat lamps, this stuff was obv just freshly cooked).
Finished the meal off with a coffee each, I am usually fussy with coffee as I like it very strong and find in most places its that weak it tastes like flavoured water. Not here it was that strong that I had to put sugar in it (something I do not do a lot).
I have not forgotten about the staff. The were so friendly and attentive since the moment we walked in. I will definitely be recommending here to anyone.

Belfast, United Kingdom
“Lovely food”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We booked a table at Gowdy's last Monday evening thinking it would'nt be too busy, we arrived and were promptly shown to our table, we were offered an alternative if we wished but we were happy enough, Drinks came quickly and the house red was very nice, we ordered the twice baked cheese souffle and seafood chowder for starters which were lovely, we both ordered the gammon roast for mains and then were told there was only enough for one so the duck was ordered instead, the duck was cooked beautifully and was well presented as was the gammon, good sized portions. food was beautifully cooked and nice and hot, the only down side to the evening was our waiter who when asked for a refill of drinks forgot and we had to ask another waitress, the waiter did apologise when he came to remove the plates but again when we asked for the bill he forgot and we had to go to the bar to pay, it was'nt that he was overly busy as although the restaurant had filled up a bit since we arrived it was in no way full, we just the impression that he was not very interested in what he was doing.This did'nt deter from a very enjoyable meal and we are looking forward to coming back in the near future.

• Visited September 2013