Book In Advance
  • Easy online booking
  • Lowest price guaranteed
More Information

1,086 results
All reviews bull ring walled village narrow streets hill overlooking step back in time whitewashed houses man made lake views are amazing surrounding countryside short visit worth a visit small town mountain top alentejo region day trip take pictures guadiana river
Reviewed October 13, 2018 via mobile

This is not a big castle but it's absolutely fun to climb all around and get the views of the surroundings from different vantage points. It is quite popular at sunset time. But after night falls, I have the entire castle to myself. So glad I am spending the night inside the village. The castle is lighted on the outside but not inside. It is also free to enter.

Reviewed October 12, 2018 via mobile

We were up here at sunset, and that was a great time to be here! Easy climb up. Best to get down before it’s too dark though as the upper areas are not well lit. Lovely old town to walk through as well.

Reviewed October 12, 2018

Monsaraz (Alentejo) was my favourite village in Portugal. I travelled during 30 days to absolutely all regions in Portugal. Monsaraz is a totally amazing place! It‘s on top of a mountain, and you get stunning views from wherever you look. The village itself is a dream made of white walls and stone walls. Every corner is very well taken care of, it‘s very neat, very clean and full of atmosphere. In summer there are flowers everywhere, and it was one of the places I saw in Portugal from where I just did not want to go away anymore, because I adored it!
There are some very pretty handicraft shops, and among other things they sell very beautiful, colourful ceramic plates.
All in all, I just could not get enough strolling around there and taking photos. It is a place that should not be missed!

By the way, it is similar to Marvão. Both villages are on top of a hill, both villages have these white and lovely houses. I loved both, but in my opinion Monsaraz is better taken care of, it is more accessible.

1  Thank Travelmaniaccc
Reviewed October 11, 2018 via mobile

So beautiful. Tons of photo opportunities and really fascinating history. A must for Portugal vacationers.

Reviewed October 4, 2018 via mobile

Loved our visit to this unique medieval village in the mountain. Interesting streets totally made with stones, good restaurants and fantastic view of the valleys and lakes below! Definitely do lunch or dinner here. Sunsets great. We were here in October so didn’t need reservations but I’m sure in high seasons this is needed. Small museum and church to visit and the medieval castle which is being restored. Park outside the walls and walk in. Hilltop walks with stone streets and interesting buildings.