“excellent food...”

Sabores De Monsaraz
Ranked #2 of 13 Restaurants in Monsaraz
Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Excellent traditional Portuguese food inside a medieval walled city. Lovely food and the owner is a very charming lady called Isabel. Fantastic view as it looks out onto the largest man made lake in Europe. Definitely worth a visit!
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I went to try this restaurant 2 weeks ago after seeing the recomendations from TripAdvisor, I live about 100 km from Monsaraz and my wife loves that little town...
We made a reservation and although a bit late there was no problem: the food was excellent, the warming cosy "grand-ma" style...
We returned yesterday again: everything was fine!
Yes, we had to wait a few minutes for the menu and the food...but D. Isabel does what she can to serve every client...and she is alone. We are not rushing to catch a train and the pace of things in Alentejo has not to be rushed...
The choice of plates is not very vast...but this is not a "buffet"
The food was, once again, excellent and in vast quantities. As it was already a bit late and I was not too hungry I asked to be served sparingly (as I wanted to have dessert) and less food I was given...and, opposite to some reviews, I was billed as "kids menu", and was asked for the appetizers we ate and billed for those and not for we haven't eat...! We paid 51 € for 3 people with appetizers, 2 main meat, wine, water, dessert and cofees...
It's a pity that people without the knowlege of culture / food is so critic about it.
Olives are not served with olive oil...but with herbs
The most caracteristic cheese are the very dry ones...I usualy say if a cheese is not dry and hard enough to nail a boot sole then it's not ok yet...We have summer temperature of 45 or even 47 Celsius, so the way to keep the cheese is inevitably very dry...! I wouldn't dare criticize a french strawberry and cream...because it was too greasy and creamy...!
I intend to return in September for a full weekend and to fully enjoy the excellent wine and food from Sabores de Monsaraz

Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

We waited for 30 min just to get the menu even though it was not full. In the menu they only gave us 4 choices so we got the recommendation, migas de bacalhao (shredded cod) which was quite soaked in oil (not nice for dinner). We told them we were not hungry from the beginning and they charged us twice for the migas. We won't be going back nor recommending this place to anyone. We paid 36€ per 1 starter, 1 bottle of water, 1 migas (well, 2) and 1 dessert. Quite expensive for Portugal.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

We visited for lunch on June 28. We had already dined in over a dozen sites in & out of Lisbon, including a Michelin starred restaurant & 3 pousadas (all excellent). Our lunch here was unsurpassed! The food, the ambiance, and the service were all unique. Well worth the trudge down beyond the town walls to the tiny hamlet below!

We were presented with a half bottle of the herbal liquor we imbibed at the end of our meal ... my own grandma couldn't have treated me any better!

1  Thank RSD2001
Reviewed April 25, 2013

..... with the previous reports. For my wife and I it was a very disappointing visit.

The 'bits' which always come before the meal were below average - uninteresting bread, very stale and dried out cheese, olives in brine (not olive oil). My wife's black pork medallions were certainly tender but close your eyes, and not be given any hints, you'd never know if it were long, slow cooked beef, pork or lamb! The cod with coriander was a very big dish but that's all I can really say about it :-(

There is no wine list, you just tell them what you want. I asked for a Vinho Verde - they had no Vinho Verdes but produced a local white wine. Hadn't got a clue what it would cost until the bill came.

We were very disappointed. We hope your visit will be better.

1  Thank indetraveller
Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

We trusted the waitresses suggestions and had a splendid original local meal. Loved the wild asparagus "migas". Extremely friendly service and a nice little walk back up to monsaraz.