“WOW! Is all I can say”

Ranked #1 of 50 Hermann B&B and Inns
Yarmouth, ME
“WOW! Is all I can say”
Reviewed June 30, 2009

Here's one inn with tons of Wow-Power! The views are absolutely spectacular - sunrises from the inn and sunsets from the cottages. The breakfasts are WOW! Not only do they let you choose what time to eat, but they also let you decide where to eat - in your room, on a beautiful deck or in the kitchen. The rooms are WOW! with deep jacuzzi tubs, double showers, fireplaces and the most fabulous beds. I didn't know great sheets could make such a difference. Perhaps the biggest WOW! comes when you dig into the ice cream with their signature labeled Chocolate Port Raspberry Sauce (and oh yes, the port is made from grapes harvested from Hermann Hill) and warm cookies delivered to your room by Terry, the innkeeper. I really don't think I have ever had such a delicious dessert and it's all included with the room!

There are two parts to Hermann Hill - the 8-room inn and the cottages. They are located in two different parts of Hermann. I stayed at the inn, but each day one of the cottages is open for viewing so I went to see them. I think they are roughly akin to an adult water park. There are large hot tubs on decks overlooking gorgeous views of the Missouri River, then fabulous steam showers with multi-jets in the bathroom. Add to that a deep jacuzzi tub with an aroma-therapy fireplace and I suggest you come planning on soaking. The decks have grills, and each cottage has a kitchen, living room, fireplace and two large screen TVs, not to mention fridges stocked with breakfast, ice cream and that fabulous chocolate sauce!

Hermann has six wonderful wineries, cute shops and great biking with the Katy Trail nearby. Hermann Hill is the ideal place to experience it all. I can't recommend it highly enough!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Kansas
Reviewed June 25, 2009

Hermann Hill Village was the perfect place for my wife and I to celebrate our anniversary. my birthday and to re-connect after a hectic several months. This was the perfect spot for us, we like to be alone and as far from people as possible. The village was mostly booked during our stay but we saw no one and only heard our neighbors once.

The unit was in perfect shape and looked brand new. The sheets are to die for and the hot tub and private jacuzzi are a blast. If this place won't spark some romance in you than your fire must have burned out long ago.

Hermann is a nice little town and we enjoyed walking the streets and touring a couple of the wineries, visiting antique stores and watching the river go by. This is not a place to go if you need to be entertained 24/7. It is definitely a place to go if you need to slow down a bit. We were there on Sunday and Monday so many of the restaurants were closed but we were able to make use of the grill on the deck.. There are not a lot of cooking utensils so plan ahead. It is amazing what you can do with a roll of aluminum foil.

We would recommend this inn to anyone that wants to spark up their relationship.

St. Louis, MO
Reviewed June 23, 2009

Hermann Hill offers wonderful cottages for a private, cozy getaway. We will definitely return!!

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed June 22, 2009

My husband and I were there for our first anniversary and were deeply dissapointed. The pictures on the website looked nothing like the room we had. The decor was very dated (and I do not mean vintage), the TV would not produce a clear picture, the carpet felt like an office building, the couples massage we ordered had to be done in the bathroom (!!!!) due to space restrictions and the breakfasts was less than satisfactory (awful coffee, very little variety etc.). For the $250-300 price point, do not expect a Four Seasons or even a Mariott breskfast. Hermann Hills is a great idea, with not-so-great execution. If the price was right and our expectations were managed better, this might have been a better experience.

3 Thank Ajia
PeggyHammer, Owner at Hermann Hill Vineyard Inn & Spa and River Bluff Cottages, responded to this review, July 15, 2009
Ajia,

We are sorry you were not satisfied with your stay at Hermann Hill. Thank you for bringing it to our attention that you wished there was more space for your massage. Couples massages require two massage tables, which do take up a lot of space. Many couples order massages in their room, and we are sorry that the massage therapists did not move a chair or other piece of furniture to make it more guest-friendly. We have spoken to Massage for Your Health, and they agree that they could have done more.
We were surprised that you were not pleased with the four different breakfast options we offer daily and the gourmet coffee we serve. Our guests frequently tell us that the choices and variety of breakfast entrees far exceeds what is normally offered at B&Bs, but we are always willing to try to do a better job in handling someone's unique dietary needs, if we are made aware of it.
Yes, our prices do vary by the season and day of the week, and prices are highest on the weekends when rooms are in higher demand. Our midweek rates are nearly half of our Saturday rates, and many guests take advantage of the mid-week value.
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed June 2, 2009

We went here on our honeymoon and stayed in the Cottages. It was so absolutely amazing! We were in the top floor, and the skylights were lovely...I loved slowly waking up in the morning to the sun streaming in! Everything really was just wonderful, relaxing and slow if you wanted it to be one day, the next day go see a movie in Warrenton and do a little shopping, the next walk around the awesome town, and the next go visit St. Louis for a day! There are just so many different ways to enjoy the town.

And the room! Ah. It has everything you could need on a vacation. The view and deck is awesome, along with the whole bathroom set up. We loved the fireplace and all the conveniences including the towel warmer. Overall, what a wonderful place! We plan on staying here again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Lake Saint Louis
Reviewed April 25, 2009

My husband and I stayed 3 nights in the Hermann hill village (cottages). For the 190 we spent a night...all I can say is you get what you pay for. We are always traveling to nice hotels and B&B's and this was one of the cheapest we have stayed at. This year like the rest of the country we are watching our spending and our normal B&B in another town is still charging 395 a night for their main cottage..so Hermann Hill it was for the first time at a good price with great reviews.

When I first found this place online I thought it was this great place as it seemed always booked and from the reviews..and of course the 190 a night was a great deal. Don't stay in the cottages if you want B&B service and attention. At other places we have stayed the cottages get serviced as though you where in the house. Now granted the main house is a 5 min drive away..still I don't think that should be looked at as part of a B&B. I also think a 5 min drive is not too far to give your customers what you call B&B service. It is more like a hotel...yes a hotel.

We stayed on the bottom floor of the cottage and we could hear the people upstairs...man I didn't know anyone could walk that much! I felt like I was back in college and living in an apartment. The space of the whole place is like a junior suit at an above average hotel / mini apartment. Like a mini apartment you would find in Manhattan. The flat screens are also small...and they have wiring for surround sound but have not installed the equipment....with such a small space and TV you really don’t need surround sound. I could only imagine what that would sound like if a young couple was staying beneath your room with the surround sound blaring.

Speaking of noises.... the train. They say on the website and as you can see in the reviews they talk about train noise. Ok the train tracks are about 100 feet or so below you. You walk out on the deck and it’s a cliff drop with the train tracks straight down cut into the cliff on a ledge. Oh you can hear the trains at night! And they mainly come at night! You can also look down and see them go by. The first one was oh look how neat...then it was oh wow allot of trains sure do come this way and I mean allot!

The view is nice of the hillside and river on the deck. There is some type of rock or dirt quarry or something that kind of sticks out like a sore thumb on the opposite bank of the river. I think the whole time we only saw one fishing boat. It did feel secluded (until we could hear the people upstairs on their balcony). The upstairs cottage's hot tub seemed to run all day...not from use but something was wrong as water constantly dripped down the front of our balcony. If you stood to close to the railing you would get hit by drops of water.

The food...don't eat it. We tried as we might to eat this stuff they left for us to heat up as breakfast and yuck! Some egg dish thing that was just watery and gross and then some pancakes that where kind of soggy. But hey breakfast isn't really something you reheat! Especially if you’re trying to be gourmet about it..just ends up tasting bad. Again a 5 min drive for them would improve breakfast and add as an extra touch this place is REALLY missing. The snacks are popcorn and fruit in the fridge. Some hard cookie/brownie thing and some regular vanilla icecream..not even the good kind. (We brought our own food THANK GOODNESS and our own blend of berries) I am so happy we packed up a cooler full of great foods for the grill! The fruit..I am huge fruit person and always look at what is given when I go to various luxury places...This place leaves you oranges, apples, and some beat up grapes. No berries...strawberries ect..or cheese. Again go to the store and bring luxury type foods with you as this place is bad on the food.

The hot tub was your typical hot tub. Had the mood lighting with a CD player radio built in BUT the speakers where shot and the rubber duck...creepy. The rubber ducky is basically a lil floating chlorine holder. Now they come to check the levels in the tub everyday...so why have a constant duck in there with chlorine...made me wonder how really dirty this hot tub was. That and after using it I always felt really itchy...probably from all the chlorine.

The bathroom in the cottage is one of the best parts. They got that part right when it comes to true luxury cottage bathrooms. Not the best I have seen but very good. The tub is great with the aromatherapy fireplace. The shower is what throws off the bathroom. It is small and it gets so hot you don't need the steam feature that is built in. It's pretty much totally enclosed expect a small sliver of space at the top so it gets extremely yucky hot when taking a shower. My husband tried the steam feature and he only lasted a minute. I didn't even bother to turn that on as I didn't want to pass out from to much heat. With the shower having a small space it just seemed like over kill on the jets...like someone took a small closet and went cram crazy with features. Not really something I would use to take a shower with my spouse in. It's like a very cool idea that sounds great but isn't that great when you use it.

An automatic night light comes on when you step out of bed. It's like a motion sensor and turns on under the vanity in the bathroom area. The aromatherapy fireplace is tricky...there is this thing that pulls out the top of it and you poor watered down oil into it....I don't know but It never really got as much of a smell as I would have expected. I expected it to at least put off as much odder as a candle would but nope it didn't. BUT it is very pretty to look at while sitting in the tub and the lighted tub and fireplace combo was the big plus for me on this whole trip.

Room cleaning to us was lacking. They tell you a window of 11 and 2 pm for room servicing. Now with having 2 children, a full time stressful job, a puppy, and of course hubby working who is going to get up and be ready for someone to come in at 11am??? 11am on your "relaxing" B&B getaway???? Yes you can leave a sign on your door but guess what...they check your room once and even if you take off the sign around noon NO ONE COMES. We had to call and ask them to come back to get our trash and give us new trash bags for the trash can. I asked the room service person if our cottage was serviced at 11 and how that was really early and I even made a remark at check in...you would have figured they would have said they would come back??? Or we could call before 2...or something!! But nope! Again small touches of customer service go along way. Oh my goof husband broke a glass on the patio...I called to tell them and even offered to pay for it as I noticed they sell their glasses on the website at the inn. The owner didn't want us to pay for it BUT....did instruct me where I could find a broom and bail to clean it up LOL. My husband had already picked it all up by hand though and yes he did get one small cut. But where I could find a broom and bail........LOL priceless!! The floors in the cottage by the way are concrete...but they are painted and stamped into a wood pattern (they look cool for a basement) but they are concrete! Maybe they did that because of the water activities...not really sure but I wasn't digging the concrete pattern stamped flooring.

The town is small and it’s a nice break from the rest of the world. It was like out of the blue this lil town pops into view. The drive to the town was wonderful thru the country side with breath taking views. The old historic buildings are also nice to see.

The wineries in town are ok to relax. I am more use to the larger upscale wineries. We bought a case of wine from Stone hill and had a great time in the tasting room with Ray. We also visited Hermanoff and sat outside for some cheese and wine. We read in our room suggestions to visit the wineries out of town. We went to Bias and that was the only one we visited that was not in town ( Do not waist your time going to this winery and microbrewery). Now for us...it was an experience...my husband bought some beer and they gave it to him in this glass moon shine jug!! The place is what you would call a hole in the wall. I about died laughing and teased him about his moon shine. So for that lil pleasure of teasing my husband it was worth it and for the laugh of this "winery".

The town is well....nothing there for modern luxuries. The people...what you would expect to see and very "simple" folk (beat up houses with 60k costing trucks here and there). We actually saw a guy riding around town on his lawn mower! We had to slow down to watch him. But I liked the town...It really reminds you of the grass roots of this country and the slower side of life. This town is small as in drive thru in 8 min small from end to end. Other than the wineries, Hermann Hill B&B, and historic section the rest of the town looks very poor. You can tell though they are trying to work on the town. They had some construction going on the roads and had a nice entrance area they seemed to be working on. I would recommend to anyone who hasn't seen a small town to really experience it and to me visiting it and seeing the people was enjoyable.

In all I don't really know if I would ever go back. It was nice to spend time with my husband away from every day life and the kids but I think next time I might go ahead and pay the 395 at another place. I also don't see how people get married here. Maybe the locals but I wouldn't want my wedding there and I would expect allot more for a honeymoon than the cottages. Don’t get me wrong this is not a horrible place and for some people this is 5 star luxury. Maybe I'm spoiled.......but when your toting your establishment to be this wonderful luxuries place and you draw in people like myself who are fortunate and travel....your setting up an expectation that is not fulfilled...again you get what you pay for.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LakeSaintLouisMom
PeggyHammer, Owner at Hermann Hill Vineyard Inn & Spa and River Bluff Cottages, responded to this review, June 17, 2009
We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay at our guest cottages at Hermann Hill Village. From the gist of your review it sounds like you would have been more comfortable in one of our Hermann Hill Inn suites. Cottage guests tell us that what they like most is the privacy, seclusion, and high amenity levels. Our chef prepares all of the breakfast entrees in advance so that all our cottage guests need to do is warm their breakfast in the microwave whenever it suits their schedule. Based on guest comments and cottage journal entries, this type of breakfast works particularly well with KATY trail bikers, guests returning to work on their day of departure, and those who decide to sleep in and enjoy a very late breakfast on their deck or patio. We did use 3-inch thick stamped concrete floors on both levels of each cottage because our research indicated that these floors help considerably with sound-proofing and the absolute knowledge that much of the cottage traffic is from the hot tub back to the steam shower. Dripping chlorenated water on wall-to-wall carpet is just not practical. We always provide daily make up service between 11 AM and 2 PM, when most cottage guests are out exploring Hermann, but are available for specific issues like the broken glass. We regret that this time was inconvenient for you.
st louis
Reviewed April 13, 2009

The Inn is great and very relaxing. We had the hot tub on the patio and it was really a beautiful site to over look the entire town from the hot tub. The cookies and ice cream that they deliver to your room at 10 pm were so delicious. the breakfast was good and they deliver that to the room as well. One good thing to note if your are staying here is that there is no smoking anywhere on the property. Very Nice stay and we will definately be back for another weekend getaway!!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hermann
Cedar Creek
Cobbler Room & Cottage B&B and Massage
Stone Haus B&B
Stone Haus B&B
#13 of 50 in Hermann

Been to Hermann Hill Vineyard Inn & Spa and River Bluff Cottages? Share your experiences!