TripAdvisor

“Good patio seating”

Tin Mill Steakhouse Restaurant on 1st Street
Ranked #13 of 34 Restaurants in Hermann
Cuisines: German, Contemporary
Description: Tin Mill Steakhouse Restaurant is located in one of the oldest and most recognized landmarks in Hermann, MO. Built in the 1840's as a grain elevator, milling White Pearl Flour until the 1900's. Restored and opened in May of 2014; Tin Mill Steakhouse Restaurant serves the finest quality steaks, seafood & burgers along with local Hermannhof wines, Tin Mill Craft Beers and Dierberg Star Lane wines. With two attached unique venues for all types of celebrations including Celebration Hall and the Double Eagle Private Cellar.
Reviewed August 5, 2019

My wife ordered the steak and I had the lobster mac n cheese. Neither of which were knock your socks off, but good enough for a first meal in the town for the weekend. The steak did not have a good "steakhouse sear" to it like you are used to in steakhouses in larger cities. The mac n cheese didn't taste much like cheese. The selection of wine was good.

Date of visit: August 2019
Write a reviewReviews (345)

Reviewed August 3, 2019 via mobile

My husband and I had dinner here last week while on an anniversary trip to Hermann. We started with the Stuffed Bruschetta appetizer ($10). It was tasty, but smaller than I would have expected for the price. My husband ordered the 12 oz. ribeye with sweet potato fries ($35). His steak was VERY fatty along the edge with almost 3-4 ounces being inedible. I ordered the 12 oz strip steak and baked potato ($32). My steak was flavorful and cooked well. The potato and sweet potato sides, and the house salads were average, but nothing special.

The service was very slow, and they seemed to be understaffed. We waited approximately 30 minutes for a table despite there being numerous tables free. Our server offered the excuse that many of the staff had taken off for a big float trip. We were never offered bread service with our meal although it is listed as included with the entrees. Also, the server did not bring out silverware with the food, but promised she would be right back with it. After she did not return in a timely manner, I walked up to the hostess stand and asked for some.

Reviewed July 28, 2019

We had a great meal here for our last two visits to Hermann. Both times the food was delicious and the service was very good.
The filet is delicious. The only bad is charging $15 for a half a glass of wine. That is a bit ridiculous and similar to prices in the St. Louis area. Other than that, it's very good and we will visit again, I just won't get the wine.

Reviewed July 21, 2019

Called a couple of weeks before event and tried to reserve the private room. Each time we called we were told we would get different services and someone would call us to book. After a week we finally talked to the restaurant manager and he seemed like he didn’t want to rent the room. Finally said sure. We got there and with 25 People we had one server who was new. Took almost two hours to get salads. One couple had to leave before food showed up. Then another 45 minutes for food. Arrived at 7 did not get main course until 9:45. Could not even keep our drinks filled. Would have gone to another location but did not have a reservation and new it would be another wait. Very bad service. Would not recommend for large parties.

1  Thank Cecilia H
Reviewed July 19, 2019 via mobile

My husband and I picked Tin Mill as a place to dine long before we arrived in Hermann. We looked at various menus at restaurants in the area online before our arrival date and Ten Mill steakhouse had entrées that we both were interested in trying. The atmosphere is relaxing and historic And the Decour is simple. The bar area was very nice and we went at a good time because they weren’t packed and there was no wait to be seated. Up until that point we had zero issues with our experience but once the waitress walked over with our drinks she immediately asked us if we knew what we wanted to eat. Not minding the fact that we had been there less than five minutes. We honestly hadn’t looked that far into the menu and one of the reasons we chose this restaurant was because of the appetizers, which she completely had disregarded asking if we were interested in trying any appetizers. My husband had to tell her well we’d like to start with the fried portobellos. She wasn’t exactly rude but she wasn’t attentive and did poorly. The Blackened Salmon,House Salad, and the sweet potatoes fries is what I ordered and my husband got the sirloin steak with fries, medium-rare. The appetizer was okay but not what we were expecting but the batter was light and they weren’t soaked in grease. The horseradish dip that came with the portobellos was okay. It wasn’t spicy like your average horseradish dip. Our salads came and they were the average salad nothing to complain about or go over the top about. When our food came out I was pleased at the sight of my salmon. It was covered in a light buttery sauce and was very tender and juicy. The sweet potato fries were seasoned lightly and were very good as well. My husbands fries were good and his steak was cooked perfectly. The only issue that he had with his steak was that it wasn’t seasoned. At all. He’s a pepper and garlic lover and there wasn’t either of those on the steak other than the pepper he added. While we were eating we began discussing dessert. I told him the waitress behind us was showing another couple a tray full of deserts and there looked like there were a couple of things he would like. When our meal was over the waitress didn’t ask how the meal
was or if we wanted desert. She said are you done and asked if we were ready for check. While waiting for her return we discussed her service and how terrible it was. There was another couple sat near us and we heard their waitress offer them their special and was friendly and courteous.
My meal was great I would have it again and my husband would more than likely eat their steak again but may choose the ribeye (with seasonings) and a baked potato but neither of us would have that waitress wait on us again