“Watch Out for Hidden Costs”

and 1 more site!
The Inn at Hermannhof
Ranked #3 of 50 Hermann B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 30, 2008

My husband and I just got back from celebrating our anniversary in Hermann MO. We chose to stay at The Inn at Hermannhof because of what we read on Trip Advisor and Travel Services @ Bed and Breakfasts.com. The reviews were great . When I looked at Hermannhof's website the pictures of the rooms looked great.

So, I called and booked the Kingfisher Room, which is a category 4 Premium room.Right after I had gotten off the phone with Tom I realized that I would rather stay in the Peerless room, which was the same category and same price and it was also available. I called right back and spoke with Tom again asking him if it would be any trouble to switch rooms. He was very put out by my request since he had already put the Kingfisher room as "booked' on his website calendar. I was not impressed by his "customer service". I had just hung up the phone with him, I could have understood if it had been a day or so, but I had just hung up the phone with him. I didn't understand what the big deal was, but I told him the Kingfisher room would be fine.

When we arrived at Hermannhof Inn the room was very nice. It looked just like the pictures.The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was huge. The shower was amazing.

We did have a shock our first night though. One of the staff members came into our room with out knocking! Thank God we were dressed! She was embarrassed as we were too. Apparently, there was some confusion and she was not aware that we had arrived. She apologized for not knocking before entering the room.

The breakfast was good, not fantastic but not bad either. The cheese and crackers that are "complementary" with the rooms are nice and the wine ok.

However, we had another shock. That was our credit card statement. Our bill for the two night stay was for $806.98!! The website stated the room as being $364 a night. We didn't know what the extra $78.98 was for. My husband called the Inn to find out. He was told that it was for room and bed tax. The taxes for this room came to $39.49 per night!!! Give me a break. This room was NOT a $400.00 a night room. We've stayed in suites in Las Vegas that were bigger, nicer, better customer service and didn't cost as much. My husband told them we did not think that was right. That is way too high. They said that's the way it is.

So, be aware that what the price states on their website does not include ALL that you will be paying. We will not be going back.

Bud and Melissa Thomas

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank Mishee76
TheInnatHermannhof, Manager at The Inn at Hermannhof, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2011

Although this review was written in 2008, I am responding to it now because we have a new management team and have increased our staffing levels in order to improve our service. I apologize that your request to change rooms after you made your reservation was not honored. We now make every effort to accommodate our guests if they have similar requests. I also apologize for the housekeeping staff that accidentally entered your room during your stay.

Unfortunately, taxes are established by our local, state, and federal government. As with other inns, bed and breakfasts, and hotels, we have to charge our customers the taxes the government requires. We do now email a folio with all charges, including taxes to each person who makes a reservation. I apologize that you were not aware that our prices listed on the website did not include taxes.

Thank you for your review, as it is always beneficial to know how we can improve the service and experience we provide for our guests.

There are newer reviews for The Inn at Hermannhof

Reviewed September 23, 2008

My husband & I stayed for our One Year Anniversary. If you are looking for quiet and intimate setting, this is it. The rooms were very clean. The service was great. Janet & Tom will make you feel right at home. You get your moneys worth just in the unlimited cheese, wine, & drinks that are stored in the fridge. I will being staying again at the Inn of Hermannof.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2008

We discovered the Inn at Hermanhoff through Select Registry which is our choice website for quality top notch B & B's. The inn has only been open since 2007 and they became members of the registry this year. You will not be disappointed with whatever room you decide to go with. The accommodations are over the top. It's all in the details and they have them covered. We were plesantly surprised at the complimentary wine, cheese and crackers waiting for us in the room.

The innkeepers were very friendly and helpful. We asked to see the rooms in the main building (the Inn suites) and were blown away. The bathrooms are gorgeous! We stayed in the Johannes Blust Suite in the Blust Haus as it was the last room available over Memorial Day weekend. It was huge, much larger than the pictures on line lead you to believe. The bathroom has an oversize tub for 2 and the "shower tower" is a 7 head adjustable shower contraption, absolutely AMAZING! It also has an outside patio with table and chairs and a private back porch.

The only thing that dampened the experience is the Blust Haus is one street away from train tracks. You could hear every train as it went by. The main building where the inn rooms are and where you have breakfast is much better insulated. We saw trains going by outside the window and could not hear a thing.

We had dinner at the Vintage 1847 Restaurant. It was good, not great and we were definitely overdressed. It was a VERY casual atmosphere. Simon's on the Waterfront is a nice choice for lunch. We wanted to try Europa's for dinner but only stayed one night. We also visited several of the local wineries. All in all a nice weekend getaway.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lfisgd746
Reviewed June 8, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Hermannhoff Inn in the stunning Champagne Suite, it was a fantastic and romantic setting that I would suggest to anyone!! We only stayed one night, but we were able to tour the Hermannhoff Winery, the Stone Hill winery, and Adam Puchta Winery. The best wine tasting experience overall was the Adam Puchta...the bartender (if that's what you call it at a wine tasting), was so knowledgable and paired each wine with a different cracker that acentuated its flavor!! It was amazing, and the wines there were the best by far!! She also gave us generous servings of wine as well, instead of tiny little shots.
The Stone Hill winery tour was worth the additional cost, it was massive and the tour guide has a lot of knowledge about the area...in my opinion, their wine was only so-so. We ate at the restaurant on the property and the food was delicious, I would definitely recommend eating there!!
The Hermannhoff Winery was a self-guided tour, but it was on the small side...still interesting though. The wine here was good, their Italian sausage was to die for!!!
The service at the Hermannhoff Inn was excellent. The room was beautiful, quiet, cozy, and romantic. There was a huge shower, a soaking tub, plush bathrobes, fireplaces in the bedroom and bathroom, and a private deck. You are greeted with a bottle of wine, cheese, and crackers in the room. In the morning, we had a yummy German breakfast waiting for us at the Inn. Stay at the Hermannhoff Inn!!!!!
We also did a tasting at the Brewery across the street from the Hermanhoff Inn. They had some fantastic beer (my husband's favorite part of the trip!!)!! You can also do a self guided tour of the brewery. When doing the tasting, you get 5 beers for $5, and they are large cups!! The pumkin beer was really good!!
If you are looking for a short, romantic, adult getaway with the one you love, or even a girlfriends weekend full of laughter and wine, Hermann is the place to be!! My husband and I plan to return to Hermann in October for Octoberfest. We will also return to the Hermannhoff Inn!!

2  Thank MIssouriRDH
Reviewed November 11, 2007

[--]

We went to Hermann the second weekend in October & it quickly became one of our favorite places.

We stayed at the Hermannhof Inn which was incredible. Our hosts were charming & informative & our room(the Himmelstreppe Suite) was top notch.

We visted the Hermannhof Winery, Adam Puchta, & Stone Hill. If you only have time for one definitely go to Stone Hill. The staff is charming & the tour worth the time.

Our only Hermann disappointment was the lack of restaurant choices for dinner. We loved our room so much we wished we had just gotten a pizza & taken it back to the room
We did have breakfast at the Rivertown Restaurant which was awesome.

I can't wait to go back!

2  Thank RKuebler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hermann
Cedar Creek
Hermann Crown Suites
#8 of 50 in Hermann
Cobbler Room & Cottage B&B and Massage
Harbor Haus Inn & Suites

Been to The Inn at Hermannhof? Share your experiences!