“Average German Restaurant” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Vintage Restaurant

Vintage Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 29 Restaurants in Hermann
Cuisines: German, European
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Kids, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Today, the renowned Vintage Restaurant is just steps from the main house of the Stone Hill Winery, and provides the perfect meal with the perfect wine. Over the years, the restaurant has catered to thousands of lucky diners, serving contemporary world cuisine, including German specialties, paired with Stone Hill Winery's award-winning wines. That's why it was nominated a "Best German Restaurant in America" by GermanDeli. With its charm and warmth, the Vintage Restaurant provides the perfect setting for post-winery dining, rehearsal dinners, group tours and corporate meetings.
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Average German Restaurant”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

We didn't find many good restaurants in Hermann. This was ok. The food was German. Probably better than any other restaurant in town. Service was fine. It's a cool old stable that was turned into a restaurant and although there is no view from the restaurant the view at the top of the hill is one of the best in Hermann overlooking the town.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Jill T, General Manager at Vintage Restaurant, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor, we truly appreciate your comments. As we are always looking at ways to improve, if you could please contact me regarding your specific experience. We would like to know your thoughts on how we can be better than average. Again thank you for sharing your comments and should you wish to dine with us again when you are in Hermann please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Saint Louis
“Some hiccups, but would go there again.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

There aren't a lot of "fine dining" places in Hermann. This is about as close as it gets (one or two exceptions). We had dinner here, and it was fine.

Service: 9/10:

Good, by anyone's standards. Our waitress was friendly, the dining room manager was quick to resolve issues, and the support staff was quick to fill water and clear plates.

Food: 7/10:

We had the portabella mushroom small plate to share. My wife had the "two locally made sausages with sauerkraut", and I had the filet of beef. This is where the food lost some points. I ordered my steak medium rare, and it came out done/well-done. The dining room manager saw I wasn't eating and quickly came over to see what the problem was. As I explained, she understood, I said I'd prefer it to border on the side of rare (I'd rather it be slightly undercooked, than overcooked). They brought out my second steak, and it was cooked to medium. They were willing to make me another, but at this point my wife was nearly finished with her meal. The filet had a good taste, and I would've really enjoyed it had it been cooked how I asked.

They comp'd my glass of wine (The 2011 Norton is very good), and gave us a dessert to take with us. We would eat here again, but I would be extremely deliberate when saying how I wanted my steak prepared.

Price: 6/10

A bit pricey for what you're getting, but not a lot to choose from in Hermann.

Atmosphere: 7/10

It's an old barn, and the booths are set into old stalls. It's a neat little place. No need to dress up when coming here, but that's all through Hermann.

TLDR: Good food, good service, some kitchen issues with knowing how to cook a steak to the ordered temperature. Would/Will go there again.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing such an extensive review of our Vintage Restaurant on TripAdvisor. Your comments truly do help in improving what we offer-both food and service. I have addressed your concern regarding steak temperatures to our kitchen staff as we do want every guest satisfied with the dish that they ordered the first time. I apologize that your experience was a little less than stellar, please don't hesitate to contact myself directly when you wish to dine with us again. Again thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Frederick
“Uniquely delightful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

A fun atmosphere, interesting history, and delicious food! My favorite part of the experience was the German Chocolate Pie! EXCELLENT!

Visited August 2013
We appreciate that you took the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. I agree that our German Chocolate Pie is the best and it definitely is a customer favorite. We hope to see you again soon.
wisconsin
“Atmosphere great, food just mediocre”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

we had dinner here on our second night in Hermann. the first night we had dinner at The Cottage. the two meals were as different as night and day. I had salmon and vegetable medley both nights. The salmon at the Vintage had no taste and was over cooked. a very pasty sauce was slathered on the salmon. The vegetables were not presented very well and appeared to have frozen and not fresh. The house salad was very good. The wait staff was very attentive. The building is beautiful and clean. They just need to go eat at their competition and see how they need to raise their food to be more appetizing

• 2 of 5 bubbles
“Historic Old Barn”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

Very nice. Great for couples or groups. The Food was great. The staff was very friendly. The place is just a great place to see.

Visited July 2013
Jill T, General Manager at Vintage Restaurant, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you for sharing your review on TripAdvisor. As you stated we try to accommodate couples, small parties and large parties. Our booths (old horse stalls) can fit up to 6 people and we can hold larger parties in the main dining area and our carriage room. Thank you again for your comments and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Been to Vintage Restaurant? Share your experiences!