“Less than stellar dinner”
Review of Simon's on The Waterfront - CLOSED

Cuisines: German, Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 28, 2013

So no one goes to Hermann for the cuisine, really. Its all about the wine.

We came here as they advertised german food among other things. Well, 2 types of schnitlze and a bratwurst entree among an otherwise large-ish menu, does not a german restaurant make. Or even warrent the advertising of german food. Hermann mostly rolls up the sidewalks at 5pm so choices were limited.

The schnitzle in question was really just the pork tenderloin used in sandwiches with a lackluster gravy on top. It came with german potato salad that was really more of a dressing soup with small bits of potato in. Maybe we got the dregs of the batch? I hope?

The food wasn't terrible just....meh at best. Service however, was pretty awful. There were about 6 other groups there, mostly couples, and one large one, but the servers (3-4 that I could see) were so flustered by having the place half full that it took forever to get anything other than water, our plates weren't cleared 20 minutes after finishing eating, and we had to go to the counter to get the bill since the waitresses all dissapeared simultaneously.

Overall, I wouldn't go back unless everything else was closed. And if I did, I'd stick with a burger and fries. Still just meh, but less dissapointing than the rest.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

The staff was ok but the food was by far worst I have had in a while. It was not close to being fresh. I would not want anyone to eat there it was just that bad of food.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Classic pub food with a very casual atmosphere. Appears to be a locals hangout (which is a good thing). The dining room is separated from the bar area by two closed doors which avoids any smoke odors.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Had a quite lunch there waiting out a thunderstorm. Had the bratwurst with German potato salad. Outstanding! Reminded me of my many meals in Germany. I would recommend this place; can't wait to go back.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

We ate here twice while in Hermann. Had a catfish sandwich for lunch which was OK. Others had the pulled pork which they said was very good. For dinner, I had the jaeger schnitzel, which was outstanding, and the German potato salad was the best I've ever had--amazing. Had good service both visits; the staff was friendly. The prices were very reasonable. (The bar and restaurant are physically separate, and two completely different environments. The restaurant is nice, quiet. The bar is noisy, and looked a little rough.)