“SLOW”
Review of Jillsie's - CLOSED

Jillsie's
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: We serve handmade, homemade, healthy food, coffees and coffee drinks of all kinds. Breakfast all day, pastries, pies, and homemade ice cream.
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

We stopped here for breakfast, and the place was busy. There was only one couple ahead of us, but we waited at least 20 mins for a table. Another 20 mins to order, and a half hour until we got our food. We waited so long, we saw two groups of strangers chat and take a table together, just to get seated already. The food was just basic breakfast food, pretty bland, and smaller portions. To be fair, there were only 2 waitstaff waiting on everyone, so they were very understaffed. The servers were friendly, and practically running to hurry, so we couldn't fault them. Decent place and prices, but all told we were there almost an hour and a half for diner food, so unless you have nowhere to be, try another spot for breakfast.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

The management does not function well under pressure. The owner was running around frantic when there were two groups of four in the dining area and 2 couples in line to get a coffee to go. She went in the kitchen yelling about how busy they were and how they do not usually provide Latte's to go. As I had ordered a Latte, to go. Not great for business. But the Latte was good!

Reviewed August 2, 2013

Go there for coffee in the morning, hands-down; every other place in town was pitiful. We didn't eat here but only because we weren't in need of food; looked delicious and the atmosphere was chill.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

So, our B&B's definition of continental breakfast differed a bit from ours, and we needed to venture out to find a more filling "second breakfast" in town. This didn't end up being much of a decision, because Jillsie's seemed to be the only breakfast place in town that was open that day. Still, we looked at their menu and decided it would work. In the end, I think I ordered a bit better than my wife did, so I enjoyed it more than she did, but both of us were much happier for having eaten a real breakfast. It was good, filling, and not too pricey.

There are a lot of your typical breakfast items on the menu, ranging from the basic eggs, bacon, sausage, etc. to somewhat fancier fare like the quiche my wife had. But I was drawn to some of the more unique offerings on the menu, ones that tied into the German heritage of the area. For example, Jillsie's also offers brotpudding, an interesting sounding combination of eggs, bread, cream, liqueurs and spices. This was listed as "when available," which I figured meant not during our midweek visit. Instead I opted for the Wurst wrap - sausage, eggs, bacon, mushrooms, cheese and jalapenos wrapped up in a tortilla. The local flair here is that the sausage is a tasty apple maple type made by the sausage shop in town. This was really quite good, a nice breakfast staple but with a Hermann twist. It was also pretty big and well-stuffed, making it a hearty meal. My wife's quiche was not as big and had a less flaky than desired crust, but was still adequate.

The only minor complaint was in regards to the atmosphere. As I alluded to earlier, this was a midweek visit, and the town as a whole was mostly deserted. As a result, we were the only visitors in the restaurant, along with two pairs of "regulars" or "townies." I'd have thought this would mean we would get more attention from the staff/owners, but quite the opposite occurred. We were mostly ignored and hardly got a word from the staff, feeling a bit like interlopers while they chatted on with the regulars. It wasn't a big deal but it made our breakfast feel a little awkward, and made Jillsie's seem like a place more welcoming to the townsfolk than travelers. Maybe our waitress was just shy and felt more comfortable around people she knew? Anyway, like I said, it wasn't a major issue. We enjoyed our breakfast, were able to get attention when we needed it, and headed off to enjoy our day with full stomachs.

In the end, Jillsie's met our needs as a heartier breakfast than we'd gotten at our B&B. Everything was good, but nothing was remarkable enough to really write home about. I liked that they used local sausage in my wrap, and the price was very affordable. It was palatable enough that if I ever returned to Hermann, I'm sure I'd be back here for breakfast. Of course, that's at least partially because I don't know anywhere else to go! :)

Reviewed June 28, 2013

Nice little selection for breakfast. We stayed across the street and so wandered over for a late breakfast and were very pleased.

We shared the breadpudding (forget the german spelling for it) and boy was it rich and delicious! A very generous serving that I couldn't imagine finishing myself but I do recommend.

My friends and I all tried the breakfast wraps. They used the local Wurst Hause sausage in mine (apple maple I believe) and it was so good I bought some later that day!

I'd definitely go back.