“No Breakfast!”

Ranked #10 of 50 Hermann B&B and Inns
Springfield, MO
“No Breakfast!”
Reviewed March 18, 2009

The Harbor Haus was a pretty clean place, but it was fairly outdated. Our room was very small and it was basically like a motel. We stayed in mid-march on a Monday night and were informed that there was only Breakfast on Weekends. We thought we were paying for breakfast with our room, but apparently not.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Kansas City
Reviewed October 21, 2008

Called and reserved room in August for Octoberfest. In September I received a call from the owner telling me that they had booked the entire house I was to stay in to another group and I could not have the room I had reserved at least 6 weeks before. They would give me a room on the third level for one of my group and another place for the second. This was done even though I had paid in advance for the first night's stay to reserve my room. Definitely left a bad taste in my mouth and I will never use this hotel again.

I did receive a refund for the one night's stay. Moved to Hermannhof Inn and loved it!!!!!!!

Stayed October 2008
1 Thank tthart52
Kansas City
Reviewed October 21, 2008

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
Illinois
Reviewed October 7, 2008

Our stay was not good. We opted to stay in town for Oktoberfest this year instead of our typical Super 8 by the interstate. Poor decision. It was nice to be within walking distance but our group was really spread out and the accomodations were less than desirable. The property was old as was everything internally. The "gourmet breakfast" was not good...poached eggs and cheesecake bites. We walked to get donuts.

I can simply say that this was not a good experience and the price was really high for the quality of stay.

Don't stay here.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank UghIllinois
thehagueMissouri, owner at Harbor Haus Inn & Suites, responded to this review, February 4, 2009
Our centrally located historic property is certainly not a chain motel! No claims made for 'gourmet' food; we offer a self-serve hot homemade breakfast - eggs, sausage, toast, fresh fruit and pastries.
If there's anything we can do while our guests are with us to improve their comfort and enjoyment we encourage them to let us know.
Campbell Hill, Illinois
Reviewed May 29, 2008

We have stayed at several B&B's in Hermann over the past few years. We found this one very disappointing. The room was extremely small, barely enough room to walk around one side of the bed. It did have a very small bathroom adjoining which was also very small. Breakfast was buffet style and just not up to the standards of any other B&B we have ever been to. We will not be staying here again, there are many other B&B's to choose from.

• Liked — Location was great.
  • Disliked — Too Small & uncomfortable! Not at all what a B&B should be.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Our most economical ensuite room is under $50, which includes a hot homemade breakfast. We have larger rooms ranging from $68 to $88.

We always try to offer a room that best suits guests' budgets and expectations.
STL
Reviewed May 8, 2008

I had a rotten experience with another Hermann B&B, and was glad to find a place that could accommodate a large party with kids. I talked to Kate (I think she’s an owner) a few days before we arrived to make some special requests and she was super helpful. They encourage phone reservations, but aren’t always near the phone. However, when Kate returned my message, she offered her cell phone number in case I needed her again.

The décor reminds me of a basement that was last remodeled 30 years ago: wood paneling, a false ceiling, a mishmash of furniture from various eras. The bathroom was very clean, but our room was not. The bed had a fabric headboard with two obvious stains (I have pics I may post later), an upholstered chair was stained and filthy, and there were cobwebs in the corners. I also dropped a ring under the desk, and in reaching under for it, found some old dried food bits. Ew!!

The weather was cool although we found it impossible to get the room too cool down enough for us to sleep. The mattress was pretty old and worn out so our backs hurt the next day (we’re in our late 20s). The free breakfast was not all that special. They served sausages (like smoked sausage, not breakfast sausage), toast, gooey butter cake (it’s a St. Louis thing), apples and juice/coffee.

All in all, I wouldn’t say this was a terrible experience, but I doubt I’ll return unless they renovate.

• Liked — Friendly owner
  • Disliked — Outdated décor & dirty rooms/furniture
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Holden, Missouri
Reviewed October 12, 2007

I recently stayed at this "bed & breakfast" with a biking tour group of 24. This is not your typical bed & breakfast or hotel/motel. The owners have acquired numerous buildings on two different blocks in this small town. They have taken the buildings and homes and converted them into units. Some are so small you can't get the bathroom door completely open - others could be used by several couples or a good sized families.

I was in Unit 25 which was the front half of what was once a small bungalow. There was another unit in the back of the building. My room was very large the main room being approximately 24 by 14. It was furnished with two queen sized beds (comfortable) and various funky furnishing that looked like they came from someone's attic or yard sales. The television which was at the far side of the room was only 19" and impossible to see from the bed. There was a table and four chairs that one could use to watch the TV, but had sagging seats and very uncomfortable to sit in. There was no bathroom per se. There was a small room that may have once been a closet where the toilet was located. In a large alcove off the main room there were two jacuzzi tubs next to each other and a kitchen type cabinet and sink. Although some might think is could be romantic, this arrangement of the tubs made it impossible to get to the second without stepping into the the first and then into the second. There was no shower - but the faucets in the tubs were kitchen types with a sprayer head (kind of a shower for your knees and below!) The water pressure is so low that it took 15 minutes to get enough water in the tub to begin to try to bathe. Not the best when sweaty and tired from biking and just want to get clean.

The cleanliness of the room was suspect. The toilet area and tubs appeared to be clean and the wood floor in the bedroom area didn't show any dust. However the draperies appeared old and dirty. The entire room reeked of musty old smells and mothballs. Items I took out of my suitcase and laid on the bed or furniture quickly took on this unpleasant odor.

A breakfast is provided in the main structure, which is across a highway, about 100 - 150 yards away. Breakfast is served at 8:00 am, buffet style, with 35 people standing in line to be served. The breakfast choices were pork sausage patties, poached eggs, packaged coffee cake which has been cut into small 2" squares, bread for toast, apple butter, jam, orange juice, coffee and tea. (I don't know if there was cereal or not)
Because of all going through the line at the same time and only four toasters, all but the first four through the line have to wait for a toaster to free up. Long tables with benches are provided to eat at - which were awkward to move around and also uncomfortable.

The proprietor is quite outgoing, but sometimes gets so involved in conversation the original request is forgotten.

One nice thing, there is a large outdoor patio with a large fire pit, several cords of wood to burn, and picnic tables for socializing at night. The B&B provides marshmallows and forks to roast them on.

• Stayed October 2007
2 Thank westmotraveler
thehagueMissouri, owner at Harbor Haus Inn & Suites, responded to this review, May 6, 2008
Our self-serve breakfast is available between 8-9am on weekdays and 8.30-9.30am weekends. Guests usually stagger their breakfasting, so we rarely have a problem with a line.

We appreciate comments from our guests on how to improve our service. In future we will suggest to leaders of large groups that they organize their party into smaller groups for breakfast to avoid congestion.

We welcome the opportunity to put things right at the time of your visit. Just let us know if expectations are disappointed or ammenities need explaining, or improving and we'll do our best to fix it.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hermann
Cedar Creek
The Inn at Hermannhof
The Inn at Hermannhof
#3 of 50 in Hermann
Cobbler Room & Cottage B&B and Massage

Been to Harbor Haus Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!