“Great bargain for a quaint little B&B”

and 1 more site!
Harbor Haus Inn & Suites
Ranked #9 of 50 Hermann B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The Harbor Haus staff are the stars of this little B&B. We recently stayed at the Nestle Inn, which slept 7 very comfortably, with one person on a pull out. Though the decor is dated and feels a bit like Grandma's house (which is actually a bit comforting), it was clean and charming. The owner greeted us as soon as we checked in and everyone there made sure that we were comfortable. He even came out and helped us get the fire started one night! The price was so affordable and the location was great. Though Nestle Inn is about a block and a half from the main office, it's an easy walk every AM for breakfast. I highly recommend staying here if you are planning on exploring the cute town of Hermann!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
thehagueMissouri, Front Office Manager at Harbor Haus Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We also enjoyed having you as our guest!!! We hope you will come back and see us again.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

I was biking the Katy Trail and needed lodging in Hermann, MO. It is a German-themed town that has a fair amount of tourists, so I wasn't expecting to find anything inexpensive. The tourist office in town listened to what I was looking for (inexpensive bed for the night), and sent me here. The woman at the front desk at Harbor Haus was very friendly and, after listening to what I was looking for, recommended two different rooms. I chose the cheaper of the two. When I was quoted the price of $38 (no breakfast; breakfast would have added $10), I wasn't expecting much. When I got to the room (2nd floor, inside door), it was:
- A bit small
- clean
- had a fridge
- was well air-conditioned (it was 95 that day)
- Considering the price, tastefully decorated
- Quiet
- Perfectly located near the middle of town

In short, it was everything I needed and a real surprise at $38/night. Motels like this don't exist anymore in the US. Usually when you pay a low price like this for a room, you get dirty, out-of-date, no extras. I couldn't have been happier with the room. There are pleny of restaurants in town so finding breakfast was not a problem; she even recommended several from which I chose.

Keep in mind that I got the cheapest room; I can't speak for what the other rooms were, but I was surprised to get exactly what I was looking for and spending a lot less than expected.

Room Tip: I was upstairs away from the road and my room was extremely quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank BoulderIllini
thehagueMissouri, Front Office Manager at Harbor Haus Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Thank you for your review! We are thrilled that you were happy with your stay with us. We hope that you will tell your friends about us and that you will come stay with us again!!!

Reviewed June 14, 2013

This was our last stop on our Katy Trail bike trip from Clinton to Machens and absolute haven!!! After an extremely long (14 hours) and trying day filled with rain, mud, and a broken bike, our host Frank warmly welcomed us with hot tea and coffee and graciously listened to our tales of woe. And even though it was a late hour when we arrived he still made sure we were all set with everything before he left for the night. We also need to wash off our bikes and we were going to need to need some supplies from the bike shop in town in the morning, and Frank graciously set us up with a hose and brushes to wash our bikes and he called the bike shop owner for us first thing in the morning to arrange for us to stop by before the bike shop officially opened!! On top of all of that, the rooms were basic but VERY clean and definitely affordable!!! The breakfast in the morning was delicious and dining area was so cutely decorated!! I will happily stay here any chance that I get!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank VictoriaM85

Thank you for your review. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we could accommodate you and your needs. We hope that you will come back and stay with us again.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at the River Suites, a part of the Harbor Haus Inn and Suites in Hermann, MO. Hermann itself is a beautiful German town nestled in the heart of Missouri's wine country, and the Harbor Haus River Suites was a fitting location for us, capturing the charm of the bluffs of the old town while giving us comfortable and modern conveniences. The back of the Suites leads out to a wooden deck that looks out over the Missouri River, a perfect setting for daytime activities or a star-filled night of sipping the local wines with friends. Inside, the comforts of home include a relaxing, soft bed with big comfortable pillows, a jetted hot tub, a fully stocked kitchen to cook in or just to keep the spoils of a weekend of wine tasting cold for future use...all accompanied by the peace and quiet that only a country town can provide. Frank Van Kamp, the owner and innkeeper, has done a great job of creating great ambience and atmosphere while giving the guest a warm jumping off point for our local Hermann activities. Bravo!

Room Tip: Let the innkeepers know if you want a hot tub, a more secluded location or if you plan to entertain...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
thehagueMissouri, Front Office Manager at Harbor Haus Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

We are thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us in Hermann and the Nestle Inn River suites. We are happy to hear that your room was nice and comfortable for you and that you also enjoyed the nice view from the deck in the backyard. We hope you will come back and see us again.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Words cannot describe how amazing the people of Hermann are in general, but the owners of this cute and cozy getaway are probably the 2 most personable in the state! They were so friendly and accommodating! I went with a bacholerette party (which NO ONE ever wants around :) and they allowed us to store our bags until we could check in a bit later. The next morning when we went for breakfast (clearly in a different mood than the day before) they made sure they fed us well and that we were well hydrated before our train ride home. Honestly, I was so impressed that I literally called the day after returning home to make a 2nd trip back. The price can't be beat and it's right on the trolley line! You can't go wrong with the harbour haus!

1  Thank LeAnne-O-Rama
thehagueMissouri, Front Office Manager at Harbor Haus Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

We are so very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our guests are our first priority!! We are very thrilled to hear that you will be coming back to stay with us again. Our guest are just like close family to us!!!

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Two friends and I were bicycling the Katy Trail, and called the Harbor Haus for rooms. We were presented basic rooms that were very clean with all the necessities. These things are more important than fancy. Add to that, the host Frank is very gracious. Finally, our rooms were priced right for our limited budgets, and breakfasts are provided on many days. Why spend $200 a night for a room when 2-digit pricing is available? If a traveler doesn't like basic rooms, they virtually must pay big bucks in the Hermann area or head 15 mi to I70. We'd stay there again in a heartbeat.

2  Thank Steve B
thehagueMissouri, Front Office Manager at Harbor Haus Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Thank you for your review. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your experience here at the Harbor Haus. We hope that you will come back and see us the next time you are in the area!!!

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Just returned home from 2 nights in Hermann MO. Stayed within the Harbor Haus complex. We were in a 1950's 2 bedroom house about a block and a half away from the offices. It was very clean but amenities were very basic. The decor was a real throwback to my Aunt Minnies's house. The air conditioning was superior and really did a great job of cooling off the house for sleeping. The mis-matched towels were very rough and small and I couldn't find a hair dryer anywhere! Both bedrooms were on the side of a very busy street and on Saturday night the police were very active. Thankfully, we did not need to stay there other than to sleep. We have had several B & B experiences and this is the first that I wasn't totally thrilled with.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. First off, I need to point out that we are not a bed and breakfast and are not advertised as one. We are an Inn and Suites, there is a difference. We do have hair dryers in the office, if you would have let us know that you needed one we would have gladly given you one for the weekend. The sounds of emergency vehicles is something we cannot help, you will here those in any town you travel to. The feeling of staying in your aunts home( we call it like staying in grandmas house :) ) is the way that we meant it to be. We are very laid back and like to stay with the historic old time nostalgia of the town. We are pleased to here that the air conditioner worked well for you. As far as the mismatched towels(we like them like that) we have different sized towels in your baskets, large ones for your body and small ones for your hair, so chances are you may have grabbed the hair towel instead. We hope that you will come back and enjoy the town of Hermann and lodging that better suits your taste and needs.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hermann
Cedar Creek
Captain Wohlt Inn
#1 of 50 in Hermann
Hermann Hill Vineyard Inn & Spa and River Bluff Cottages
Cobbler Room & Cottage B&B and Massage

Been to Harbor Haus Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!