“Pleasant and affordable (even with a unique experience)”
Review of Vinchester Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hermann
Vinchester Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hermann
Iowa
“Pleasant and affordable (even with a unique experience)”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I'm intrigued by the reviews that mention the hospitality of the innkeeper, because on my stay I never saw him. No one was at the desk when I arrived on a weekday evening, and no one was there the next morning to check me out. They had, however, left an envelope with my name on it with the key to a room. It appeared I was the only guest staying that night, and it was kind of odd to essentially have the whole place to myself.

That said, this was a perfectly acceptable place to stay, and it's far more affordable than most other options in Hermann. The inn's entrance is a bit odd. The main entrance appears to be from the parking area that faces a steep alley in the rear. To get in from the street in front, you have to go up a flight of stairs to reach the lobby.

My room was quite large and had a nice little balcony overlooking the neighborhood. Aside from the balcony, the room had the feel of what one might find in a motel rather than a bed and breakfast place. That was fine by me, but others may want to know "inn" is just a name. The furnishings are older, but well kept up in general. The place was not immaculate, but its cleanliness was perfectly acceptable.

It took me a long time to figure out how to access the wireless internet, which is protected by an extremely cryptic password. There is no guide to the hotel in the rooms, but eventually I figured out that the internet password was buried at the bottom of the TV channel list. Once I did find the password, the connection worked fine.

As I said, no one was there in the morning, so I wasn't sure if I was supposed to have any sort of breakfast or not. There appeared to be a refrigerator in the lobby with juice boxes in it. There was also a coffee maker that had been set on a timer, but all that was in it was hot water (not coffee). I didn't see anything to actually eat, so I had breakfast at an area restaurant instead.

I was surprised that, at least on weeknights, Hermann seems to roll up the sidewalks early. I arrived around 7pm, and almost nothing in town was open. I live in a small town, but this seemed unusual even to me--and particularly odd in a tourist-oriented place. I did enjoy a nice walk around the downtown area, and I was able to get some find a nice salad for dinner which I enjoyed on the balcony of my room. The following day I found that many of the town's attractions also open quite late (like 10 or 10:30 in some cases). Again that struck me as odd, but Hermann is still a lovely and enjoyable town.

My stay was certainly unusual, but it was perfectly pleasant. I knew this wouldn't be a quaint country inn. It was, however, a pleasant small hotel and an affordable place to stay. I'd return here again if I were in the area.

Room Tip: The balcony room cost extra, but seemed worth it.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I was lucky enough to visit the Vinchester over Memorial Day weekend. The owner Rick took the time to make us feel comfortable, make sure we knew where to go, and was one of the more friendly property managers I have ever come across. Great place, fantastic location, and even better hospitality! Would definetly recommend to anyone (family, couples,, friends) heading to Hermann for the winieries and will be staying here again when I come back. Top Notch!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Kansas City
Reviewed April 8, 2013

What a nice find this was. Was able to reserve several rooms for our bachlorette weekend getaway. Rick the innkeeper was wonderful- easy to reserve, was willing to let us check in early to drop things off, and was understanding when we came much later instead (wineries first). Rooms were comfortable and clean. One had a cute balcony. Ample parking in back via the Hollyhock alley. A few blocks from Hermannhof, train station, restaurants, local bars, etc. Easy walk there and back. Last but definitely not least- very affordable. Decor was not overdone or "quaint" but it was a wonderful room for people like us who were spending most of our time out and about. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in rooms 9, 10, 11 near each other at the corner of the building. For our purposes we were...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Sedalia, Missouri
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Vinchester Inn is a very affordable way to visit Hermann. If you are wanting a clean basic room and do not plan on spending a lot of time in your room this Inn will fit your needs. It is very close to many attractions and only a couple blocks from the train station. Rick the Inn Keeper was great to deal with while booking the room and let us drop our stuff off before check in so we could head out to the wineries. On the down side there was only coffee in the morning and no sign of the Inn Keeper.

Room Tip: Room 1 is the only room with a queen bed. The rest of the rooms have two double beds.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Florissant, Missouri
Reviewed December 20, 2012

We went to Hermann to tour the rectory at the Catholic church, and the wine and cheese trail. The Vinchester is very close to most of the places we wanted to visit. The price is very good. Rick is great to deal with, and the room was clean and quiet. When in Hermann, eat at Lyndees for breakfast, and Simon's for dinner.

Room Tip: Rooms at the end of the hall, on the top floor, are quieter.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dan H
Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

This wAs our third year at the Vinchester. The owner is very accommodating and helpful to get you around the area. We had some difficulty with noisy neighbors this year, but other than that,it was another great stay. The location is excellent and you are within walking distance of all the fall activities. We plan to return next year.

• Stayed October 2012
Orange City, Iowa
Reviewed October 9, 2012

This was a very reasonably priced motel room (not really a bed & breakfast). The owner was very nice and very helpful in recommending restaurants & area attractions. It doesn't really serve breakfast, but the owner suggested a very good restaurant nearby that was very reasonable. The rooms are basic & clean, but you will probably have to climb steps. The location is great - walking distance to many shops & restaurants.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hermann
Cedar Creek
#2 of 50 in Hermann
Hermann Crown Suites
Hermann Crown Suites
#8 of 50 in Hermann

Been to Vinchester Inn? Share your experiences!