“Authentic Mexican”

Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
“Authentic Mexican”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

Nice authentic Mexican food. Were there on a Friday for lunch. Have been there several times in the past and the service was horrible. 6 of us in the party today and guess what, actually good service! Food was great as usual. The salsa is my least favorite thing as it seems like runny tomato sauce. But the Chimachanga was really good. The tacos are wonderful too. Glad to see they have finally got the service down. Will definitely return.

• Visited October 2012

Saint Louis, Missouri
“REAL Mexican!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

The food is authentic Mexican fare, not American/Mexican. I love this about Pueblo Nuevo although I will say I miss the Americanized version of chunky salsa! They have a Pueblo Platter with the best taco, burrito and empanda you will ever eat! The side of beans and rice are nicely topped with a bit of cheese. There are many authentic Mexican dishes including Birria....marinated goat...which I have never tried but friends say it's the best! On the weekends you will be serenaded by 1-3 very talented muscians playing traditional mexican music. The interior has been expanded to include a cantina that serves the best margaritas. There are drink specials most nights of the week. This is a family run business that is very casual so don't expect bright colors or sombreros with tassles! Most servers who know us 'regulars' don't bring us a check.....we just tell the cashier what we had to eat and drink! I love that about this place. It makes me feel at home. You will find couples, families and friends enjoying great food, wonderfull entertainment and comfortable surroundings.

• Visited September 2012
Florissant
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“waitress during the weeknight is a mega bee”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2012

Why I will never go back: The waitress on the bar side during evening weeknights is absolutely horrible! I told my friends about this place and took them here on several occasions... each time the service gets worse.

People who sat down next to us were in and out before us. We spend a lot of $ here, I usually bring 6-8 ppl and we order hella drinks; I would think she would cater to us, i mean it is her job and we have high checks so she would have made big $. The last time i went a couple weeks ago i was there for 3 hours with my friends... here's what happened:

I get there first. I sit at the bar and order a margarita after being ignored for 20 min. She brings it to me and doesn't give me any chips/salsa. I warn her i have more friends coming, about 6-8 ppl so she is aware. Some people arrive in my party and she took there order, I told her we were waiting for other ppl to arrive before we would order the rest of the food. She brings the first order of food ... the rest of the party arrived, she walks away and doesnt take the second set of ppls orders... almost 45 min go by, finally comes over, gets there orders, the food comes out 10-15 later, she delivers it while the last person arrives in our party but again, she waits 45 min to come back and get the last persons order.

We started asking the bus boy if he could get her attention, we needed more margaritas. He told her several times and she still wouldn't come over. The bus boy was more of a server than she was, at least he cared about our concerns and tried to help us. Then some people from my group went up and asked her for margaritas for the second time after not getting them the first time. The waitresses reply: "I'M FREAKIN BUSY!" Then we tried to get our checks, that was another problem which took FOREVER!

We are sad because we love this place and the drinks and it is a great local hangout but fear if we will return this Bee will spit in our food. We ended up complaining to the restaurant manager .... I hope this Bee gets fired, that is the only way I will ever return.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Sara B
Saint Louis, Missouri
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Comida Deliciosa”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2012

I've been going to Pueblo Nuevo since I was a kid. I've had Mexican food all around the USA, as well as in other countries, and I've never tasted better than Pueblo Nuevo.

• Visited January 2012
St. Louis
“Authentic and quite delicious”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2010

I travel to Mexico frequently and have a hard time finding comparable cuisine around St. Louis. Pueblo Nuevo comes very close. Very good tamales, chile rellenos (poblano) and chilaquiles with chicken. The green sauce is the right spice and the stock magaritas are better than most. The decor is fairly bland and the service is just average but the entertainment on the weekends brings the place alive. The chips are served with 2 squeeze bottle of sauce, one hot and one mild. Neither do much for me. You can order salsa Mexicana (Pico de Gallo) on the side - very good. Overall, the food and the margaritas make it well worth thr trip.