“Disappointing experience”

Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Hannibal
Mystic
“Disappointing experience”
Reviewed June 16, 2012

I remember the day when Holiday Inn Express was at the top, but not anymore. Boy, did they ever slide. Upon arrival, you drive in and see a very nice looking building. But then, we were greeted by very unfriendly people. Everyone seemed to be in a bad mood that day, I guess.You definitely didn't feel welcome.No one gave you a smile at all.

This hotel stinks of mold and dirty feet,the Elevator stinking the most. Wow! It's bad!
We stayed in a double queen room. It had no ice box or microwave like most of the newer ones do.

The carpeting is soo filthy, it made our white socks totally Black. When I turned the tv on in the room, many of the channels would not even come in.

My daughter found hair in her bed and there was some on the bathroom floor as well. So the cleaning job wasn't done very well either.Also, behind the night stand, where I needed an outlet,it looked like it hadn't been clean in many many YEARS, if ever.. It was sooo gross, made me sick.

The sheets we found to be very scratchy, more like hospital bed linens.I didn't sleep well at all.

The best thing I can say about the place was that their hotel breakfast had more then most. You had scrambled eggs, as well as bacon, and all the other general items such a cereal, fruit, bagels, muffins, and etc.

I was very disappointed because it's not cheap to stay here. But it wasn't any better then the lower end hotels. I would not stay here ever again if I came back to Hannibal.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank EileenMMystic
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Hannibal, responded to this review, July 21, 2012
Dear EileenMMystic,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post your review of our hotel. I'm delighted to hear the breakfast served during your stay exceeded your expectations. Please accept my sincere apology for the overall dissatisfaction you had experienced during your stay. I would like to discuss your experience in further details and have sent you a private message to obtain additional information regarding your stay.

I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Spring Hill, Florida
Reviewed May 31, 2012

I checked into an accessible first floor room and it was evident from the first look that this is a hotel in need of updating. There's no work desk for your laptop, instead there's a tall, round cocktail table that wobbles whenever something's placed on it, like a drink or a laptop. And as it turned out, it's more of a cocktail table since I couldn't get online despite working at it for well into 30 minutes with no real signal. It reminded me of my early years as a kid, staring at the first TV test patterns back in the 1050s... static with no discernable life or movement of any kind. It was silly.

I don't want to short change the front desk folks; they were most helpful and did their jobs as best they could. You work with what you've got, right?

Meals... food. My advice to those visiting Hannibal? Bring your lunch. We cruised around for 40 minutes, using my Garmin to track down all the listed eateries and then going into the establishments and reviewing their menues. Yuk! And I'm usually pretty easy to please but to put it bluntly, everything in this town is either cooked in a deep fryer or pasted between two slices of white, doughy Wonder Bread. I call this a "bum fill" and I'm sorry... I'm too old to eat like a fourth grader and most of the dinner fare in this town will end up on my rear end or in front, hanging like Santa's goody bag from my thorax, and I don't really need additional accents in either region.

The several blocks down town which feature the museum and Sam Clemen's boyhood home are charming and we spent several hours concentrated here before we moved on to visit Honest Abe in Springfield. Frankly, the rest of Hannibal was rather forebidding and in a slow, ugly process of decay. Sam Clemens wouldn't recognize his early home anymore, I fear.

Long and short of it? Make this a day trip and move on to a larger city with hotels that feature competitive amenities... get out of Hannibal before sundown, pardner, or else!

Room Tip: Check out Mark Twain's musuem and home, then beat it out of town by sundown.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Barry H
, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Hannibal, responded to this review, July 8, 2012
Dear Barry H,

Thank you for staying with us. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Ottawa, IL
Reviewed May 20, 2012

When you check in, you will be greeted by very friendly staff. The hotel is nicely decorated and clean. We enjoyed the hot tub and pool that were very well kept. Our room was very nice - the bed and pillows were very comfortable. The internet worked just fine, and the flat panel tv's were a very nice touch. I heard no noise in the hallway - the whole time. The showers were nice and the hot water was plentiful!! The breakfast was very good as well - they had the most amazing warm cinnamon rolls!! While it is a little off the main drag, all of the Hannibal attractions are a very short drive away. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Milford, Iowa
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We arrived later in the evening needing a good nights rest and made reservations at this hotel based on the recommendation of some friends in the area. We checked in with a very well organized desk clerk who found the reservation quickly and had us in our room in a few minutes. The room was clean and neat the bed very comfortable so a good nights sleep was not a problem. The breakfast room was busy and well supervised by a lady who was very helpful and the breakfast fare was much better than most hotels. We will definitely stay there again. The staff was very friendly and helpful and we felt like we had stayed with friends.

Room Tip: The King Sized Beds are very comfortable
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Old Hickory, Tennessee
Reviewed April 15, 2012

We spent two nights here while on a mini-vacation to see the Mark Twain Home and Museum and other related attractions. It was very attractive, clean and comfortable. Slept well in an excellent bed. We like plenty of space so the King suite was perfect. Loved the cookie and the free breakfast was fine.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GwensGramma
Columbus, OH
Reviewed December 14, 2011

Stayed overnight on a road trip. Hotel is nicely kept, room was clean and well furnished, mattress was excellent. Staff was very friendly, and the fresh cookies at the front desk at check-in were a very nice touch. Pool area was very clean - although the jets on the hot tub were not functioning, it was clean and the warm water soaked away the effects of a 700-mile day. Breakfast was the standard high-end hotel breakfast - good selection, and everything was fresh and hot/cold as needed.

I've had some really bad experience at small-town hotels, but this was definitely not among them. I routinely pay $130 a night on business travel at similar places - this much less for the same quality.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed December 9, 2011

Excellent price clean rooms and wonderful atmosphere

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank roamingnome816
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hannibal
Best Western On The River
Town & Country Inn and Suites Quincy
Super 8 Hannibal
Super 8 Hannibal
#5 of 10 in Hannibal

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Hannibal? Share your experiences!