Garth Woodside Mansion Estate
$56
Quality Inn & Suites(Hannibal)(Great Value!)
$111
Hotels.com
$68
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsjulie and johngarth juicegarth roomthe cottagesb bgravel roadbed and breakfastrosewood roomthe main househot tubrelaxing getawayfeel right at homeyear anniversarydown to earthother guestsfresh fruitquiche
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 24, 2006

Garth Mansion is absolutely a beautiful mansion. We stayed in the Samuel Clemens room, which has an awesome bed, that Samuel Clemens actually slept in on his visits to Hannibal, when visiting the Garth Mansion. It is very quiet around the mansion, the workers and owner always seem busy. We did not meet the owner's husband. He was away at our time of visit. We did see the pet llamas, and would watch them during meal times at breakfast and dinner. We stayed at the mansion for my birthday. The rooms are exquisite, and you do not hear noise from other guests on your floor. The dinner in the Woodside Restaurant is expensive, but that is to be expected for a 6 course meal. The swordfish appetizer with fruit sauce was excellent, very mild tasting, flaking, and moist. This was the first time I ate swordfish, so I was very impressed with its taste and presentation. The creme of vegetable soup had too much sage in it for me, but that's just me. I am not a fan of sage. My husband said it tasted okay to him. I had problems with my steak, being over-seasoned with extreme pepper. When I let the server know I couldn't eat it, the owner graciously had the chef fix me a new steak without all the peppery seasoning. Evidently, the steak I ordered was listed on the menu in "French", and it meant pepper steak, whiich if I would have known, I wouldn't have ordered it. I thought I was just ordering a nice cut of steak. Other than that, the meal was good. The food overall for dinner I would rate "very good." The breakfast was absolutely outstanding on our second day. The chef had prepared a great egg casserole with mushrooms, bacon, imported cheese, and it was just to die for, it was so good. Also, the juice that is served at breadfast s called "Garth juice". It is a mixture of several blended juices created by the owner. It had an absolute wonderful taste and flair to it, that it was better than any other juice I have ever had, and I am a juice fan. Also on the breakfast of the previous morning, the chef had prepared fat-tree cranberry/raspberry crunch muffins, that were absolutely super delicious. So good, that I bought the muffin recipe book to have the recipe to fix them for my own family at home. I rated the breakfast "EXCELLENT". The only thing on the breakfast I didn't like was the Boca Chicken Sausage that was served on the first day, but I am not fond of chicken burgers, turkey bacon or sausage, or other "BOCA" meat products. I like the real meat products such as bacon, sausage, turkey, beef, etc. That is just my preference. Another lady at a table next to us, raved about them, and had the owner give her information of the product, so she could buy it for herself. So this is just a preference of my opionion. But , as far as our visit to the mansion. It was beautiful. It was wonderful, and we would definitely go again. The owner had went our of her way to fill our request to have rose petals put on the bed, a Happy Birthday balloon in our room, along with wine and choc-covered strawberries for my "44th Birthday". Our room was beautiful and it was great spending 2 nights in this gorgeous mansion. Next time we go back we will take my mother-in-law, so she can stay in Miss Avie's room. It is very beautiful, in white and sky blue with lots of lace. The canopy to the bed is gorgeous, and the border on the wallpaper matches the bed. The room has a beautiful fireplace and huge chifferobe. She would absolutely love it, since it is styled in her favortie colors. Hope to go back soon. We loved our stay!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank mredpony
Washington, MO
Reviewed July 11, 2006

Living a typical fast-paced lifestyle, I anticpated a slow relaxing weekend getaway and was not disappointed. The beautiful building and grounds came into view driving up the winding entry. Julie ckecked us in (with grace and not a little humor) and John escorted us to our room (carrying my bag even), prepped the room and gave us the general overview of the place. We had dinner out that night (and now I regret the experience) but their son Sean convinced us to have his favorite dessert when we returned. The banana dish was stupendous, by the way. A perfect breakfast began the next day- while we watched the llamas play- and we did the whole Hannibal tour on our own, returning for dinner before a great evening out at the Mark Twain one-man show.
Now, when I say I get up early I mean about 6AM--but... we lolled around that beautiful half-canopy, feather bed till mid-morning only coming down for breakfast at the very last moment. We had signed up for a 9 AM breakfast and made it there by 9:30. John poured his custom Garth juice and served the fruit bowl. Julie came by to see how we were and asked if we knew what happeded if we were late for breakfast. Only a little chagrinned I responded 'no' and she told me-Nothing happens! They kept our meal ready and warmed for us. During the day while we were out we decided to stay over another day. I slept even later the last morning. It was so relaxing.
The meals were delicious (THE best salmon I ever had), the room decidedly comfortable (I loved the robes too), and ambiance charming (featherbed and lightweight comforter and a claw-foot tub). I expect to return again- perhaps soon. We had three wonderful days there and I am still feeling a bit slower-paced and relaxed.This place is definitely a must-do if you are near the area.

• Stayed: July 2006
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed July 4, 2006

Don't let the dirt-road approach to the mansion mislead you! This amazing structure is breath-taking when lit up in the evening as it was when we arrived. Save for the paved driveway and SUV's parked to the side it feels like a trip back in time. The proprietors each have their own distinct personality - a nice blend. As we visited during Tom Sawyer days we unfortunately spent little daytime at the mansion. A morning stroll to a nearby gazebo and bridge with a hot mug of coffee was the most pleasant sunrise I have spent in my years. The guests can come and go as they please with an automated combination door lock - there is no curfew here! There is less mingling with other guests than at other B&B's but I found this to only add to our relaxing weekend. Breakfast was a great time with hostess Julie who encouraged chatting between tables - so we got to know a little bit about the other guests, but were NOT required to all sit at one large table for awkward and forced conversation while trying to eat. I definitely prefer Julie's way! This was a 5 year anniversary trip for my sweetheart and I, and the mansion made it memorable and fun. Thanks Julie & John!

• Stayed: June 2006
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed June 25, 2006

My husband and I stayed at this historic mansion this past weekend. Lots of history connected to Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens). We stayed in the Samuel Clemens Room. The mansion is restored and roomy and very clean. The hosts were wonderful and the food was gourmet. They also have three lamas on the grounds that you can feed. We enjoyed the quiet country atmosphere and no TV!

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Saint Louis MO
Reviewed June 13, 2006

Owners John and Julie have gone to great lengths to make this a perfect romantic retreat. King size feather bed, quality sheets, a bathroom big enough to park your car with fireplace, multihead shower and, of course whirlpool tub. Also a hottub on the deck. Best personal touch however is delicious breakfast delivered to your cottage without ever seeing a soul. You stay cuddled up in your room while breakfast is set up in the kitchen. When the last of the details are carefully executed, a small red light alerts you that the wait staff has exited and your breakfast awaits. --a well thought out touch!

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member