“A Must See”

Planters Barn Theater
Ranked #15 of 29 things to do in Hannibal
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Like a homecoming, Mark Twain Himself returns author and humorist Samuel L. Clemens to his Missouri birthplace and Hannibal home on the banks of the Mississippi River. Audiences experience a special encounter with the man who made America laugh and inspired the world. It’s a great show full of hilarious comedy and compelling drama. You won’t want to miss this unique production of Mark Twain Himself!
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Richard Garey does an awesome job as Mark Twain. A very enjoyable show.Different every time. Garey also does a "Must See" performance of with A Shepherds Tale at Christmas time. It is eye-opening and deepens your appreciation of the reason for the season. The theater itself isquaint and intimate. Lots of parking outside. I love the location in the center of the Mark Twain Boyhood Home Historic District. Lots of good shopping & eating within a couple blocks.

7  Thank JudyBarnes101
in 2 reviews
"stories"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Saw Mark Twain actor----wonderful experience. I thought I was seeing and hearing Mark Twain himself!!!

4  Thank Sharoz
Reviewed July 1, 2012

First off, I should say that I'm not really a Mark Twain fan, but I thought this would be an appropriate thing to do while in Hannibal, so we went. The theater is cozy, and tea and cookies are included in the price. The actor visits with the audience in the "tea room" area before the show. He is in character all the time, and is quite knowledgeable. We didn't find the show itself to be very entertaining (though it had its moments), but that could just be (as I said) that we are not big Twain fans. Others seem to like the show.

6  Thank dorsalmo
Reviewed March 24, 2012

My son and I went to see "Mark Twain" at the Planters Barn Theater. The man who was Mark Twain (can't remember his name) did an outstanding job! The atmosphere was of the theater was so cozy and inviting and we felt like we were truly watching Mark Twain.

9  Thank Lovetotravel5903
See more reviews
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Mark Twain really lives !!! This show was so awesome. Mr. Garey lives and breathes Samuel Clemens !! He kept character through out the entie time he was in the theater and even when we saw him at the museum - he WAS Mark Twain !! This was by far an even better experience than we expected. The ambiance of the theater, the welcoming staff, and Victorian tea with treats!
Earlier in thr day we had been to the Planter's Barn for "olde time" photo shoot -That too was such fun. The proprietors were welcoming, helpful, flexible and delightful to work with.

5  Thank nlw33052