“The real Becky Thatcher”

Becky Thatcher's House
Ranked #8 of 29 things to do in Hannibal
Reviewed November 4, 2013

My kids and I toured the home and it was a treat to see pictures and view items owned by the "real" Becky Thatcher. However, it was somewhat disappointing that there wasnt more history written so visitors could learn more. Further, the house was really bare. I understand the house just recently opened but there were more items in the on-site gift shop than in the house. Hopefully, many more items will be added along with more historical information. My kids were really confused whether it was a gift shop or one of the restored homes.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

I enjoyed the history of photos showing famous visitors and the Tom and Becky ambassadors who are selected each year. i wanted to learn even more about the real Becky...they feature her early years and later years, but I left hungry for more.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

All part of the other "Tom Sawyer" town attractions. If you take in all the old part of this area it is well worth visiting Becky Thatchers house. The whole area takes you back in time and the good memories of the "Mark Twain" books we all read!

Reviewed October 4, 2013

The house is void of all furniture and décor. No telling what each room originally was. I understand the attraction is being "updated" to include hands on computer interaction for children. I guess that's fine but I wanted to see the history IN the house. I was very disappointed and it's too bad this is included in the price of the ticket for Mark Twain's boyhood home.

2  Thank Vicki S
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I appreciate restorations of historic places but the feel of this place has that of it was all recreated and nothing is left to feel of when Mark Twain was there. Becky's house was the same way. They just finished restoring that. I enjoyed the general store and law office more. The general store is in need or repairs but it has the feel of being there in that time. When you restore it beyond what it was when it was new than you are taking away from it. I had more of a feel of Mark Twain's youth walking the street than I did going in his house.

1  Thank Greg G

Been to Becky Thatcher's House? Share your experiences!