“Fun for the bar crowd, not so much families”

Coconuts Caribbean Beach Bar & Grill
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Lincoln, Nebraska
“Fun for the bar crowd, not so much families”
Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

Our family of 5 went there for lunch. Our kids range in age 16-11. The first thing they wanted to do was go on the water trampoline. However signs are posted that you need a life jacket. Since we arrived by car we didn't have any. They don't rent any either. After we saw other people go without life jackets we let them go ahead and do it. They do have a sandy beach, but the steps are mossy and slippery and very rocky once in the water. No pool for kids, only adults. Looks like a really fun place for adults. They do offer boat rentals and boat plane rides. We ordered the buffalo chicken pizza for four of us which was plenty and it was good. The fries that came with the kids tenders were not so good, they tasted like bad oil. Food is on the pricier end, but you are paying for the atmosphere. Glad we went, just not sure if we would go back. It did look like they have spent lots of money fixing up the place. FYI most meals $10-$20 for lunch. Kids are $6.99. Non alcoholic drinks $2.50.

• Visited August 2013

Springfield, Illinois
“Fun for the whole family”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Any age can enjoy Coconuts! They have a great kiddie area with lots of activities and a great pool with swim up bars and newly added swings! Great drinks and good food too! Nice gift shop with friendly employees.

Visited July 2013
Jefferson City, Missouri
“Great idea...but....”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I had been to Coconuts when it first opened I think 5 years ago...I had visited their website and from the looks of it, it had become more kids friendly...I was wrong. The large pool with a zero entry is only for adults no kids allowed. I get that. THe kids area is very small and has a sandy beach area. For kids the sand gets very hot and my 4 year old was crying because the sand was way to hot on his bare feet. Put shoes on....I know, but its kids at the beach. The area for kids to swim is along the water and is pounded pretty bad from waves from boats. There are cement stairs but they are all covered in moss and are very slick. Once in the water there is nothing to stand on but sharp rocks, again this is the kids area. There is a 3 hole putt-putt course but for little kids it may be better to take that out and put a small pool in for the kids. There is a play fort about the same as you have in your yard at home so they may lose interest quickly. Again a good idea but that is about it for kids. Billed as the #1 family destination.

The day we went on 7/14/13 there was a DJ and emcee. The emcee kept saying Awww Yea! Every 5 minutes and it's Sunday Funday. He was horrible, and the music was pure club music. Not what I expected to hear. For the over 40 crowd, I was thinking more along Buffett and so on.

If you are single looking to find someone to hook up with, and a place to dump your kids while you are on the prowl...this place is for you.

The place is laid out like a resort, buildings and so on, but not a resort for a family with kids. I am a parrot head, and I will not be going back anytime soon and that's a shame.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank George W
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Awesome Place Overall”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

You can't expect to have the best meal at an "on the water restaurant" but you can have a good or very good meal. Though Coconuts might be a bit high on the food prices, just look at the setting and investment the owner has, it's huge. I have been going to water front restaurants for years at the lake and I give Coconuts a very good grade on the food. Now, everything else is awesome in my opinion! The atmosphere is upbeat and fun however, if you want more laid back, just go on a Sunday or weekday, if you want a party, then go on Friday or Saturday...it's up to you. The owner "Tim" constantly strives to improve his place and he is there just about every day working as hard as everyone else. Being a business owner myself, I have big time respect for the man! Personally, I've never been to a better, more fun place at the lake if you just want to hang out in the pool and listen to the DJs or bands. Have a few drinks and feel the sun, gaze out on the lake...very relaxing.

I read the negative comments from some of the other people, and I understand, different strokes for different folks, but PLEASE, don't just write it off because of those reviews; that would be a mistake! Experience it for yourself and make your own judgement. I think more people than not will be very pleasantly surprised and become regular patrons, my wife and I and friends certainly have, in fact, it's about the only place we go now!

WE LOVE COCONUTS...BEST PLACE AT THE LAKE HANDS DOWN!

John & Chris / St. Louis, MO

• Visited July 2013
Minooka, Illinois
“Missouri Caribbean”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Loved, loved the Caribbean atmosphere and that they allow dogs! Beach was great. A little pricey and the bathrooms left much to desire, but all in all, great place to boat!

Visited July 2013