“Easier to get to motel now”

Americas Best Value Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Grain Valley
Reviewed July 25, 2014

Construction at I-70 exit 24 is finished, so it is easier to find the motel. Movie theatres nearby, modern and convenient. Clean room, friendly staff. Fast food at exit, but if you drive to exit 17 there are lots of sit down choices.

Room Tip: Get one on the side away from I-70
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
grainvalleygm, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2014

Thank you for choosing us for your stay. Our goal is to make each and every guests stay as comfortable as possible. We are very happy to have the construction completed and it does make it a easier on the traffic flow at this exit during the high traffic hours of the day. Also the completion of the convenience store right beside us is very beneficial for our guests as well. We hope to see you again your next time you pass by.

Rosalie Foley

Reviewed June 21, 2014

Desperate measures call for desperate action. It was late and we were exhausted. Having stopped to check availability elsewhere we decided this was the place to stay unless we wanted to drive miles more towards uncertain availability. I should have looked at previous reviews and taken heed. No pool, no extras - but bare basics doesn't mean bad, right?!? Well, we experienced a stay that was a bit gross, had concerns over long term residents, and would not have felt staying there without family in another room...

We should have paid more attention on our approach. There were people whom seemed a little too comfortable sitting in the reception. As if they spent a lot of time there. Then there was the group outside with the BBQ who had clearly been drinking and seemed very settled in. It was on our way to our room when I noticed one room window was decorated with knickknacks that made me realise that some of the 'guests' probably live there long term.

The room was mostly surface clean, but had a slightly deep seedy feel. We struggled to get the door to close and lock (had to hold the handle at a certain angle) and noticed that the flip door lock did not work (bolt lock did so we overlooked). Our room was only just satisfactorily clean - I didn't want to walk barefoot on the carpet or in the shower, and chose not too look carefully at the sheets. Was it mould on the air conditioner? There was tape stuck on furniture and a very odd looking thing taped to the TV sticking out and facing the bed (I imagined it a small camera, but was later told it was some sort of antenna by the woman on reception). Hmmm... Family in another room had it worse with mould all over the shower area and were really grossed out. Nor did they have the basic supplies in the room like soap and towels. Clearly their room had not been prepared properly after the last guests.

We walked across the way to Caseys for some dinner and witnessed one of the Hotels BBQ 'guests' trying to buy alcohol. The manager told him he wouldn't sell to him (for the third time that day), then couldn't get him to leave and had to call the police (at which point he went back to the hotel). Lucky for him he had come in with a woman and a little girl who DID buy alcohol. Lucky for us the BBQ was on the other side of the hotel and we only had road noise (lots of motorcycles) to listen to.

WI-if was advertised and even though I had the password on my paperwork, it would not work. I tried to call customer service, but there was no answer.

Breakfast... Very, very basic. Bread and thin bagels had been divided and put into individual ziplock bags. There were two choices of cereal and juice. Coffee, pop tarts, granola bars, bananas. We did not linger to enjoy.

Overall I would NOT stay here again nor recommend it to families esp with young children. I would not have felt safe here with the 'established residents' drinking outside, the broken lock, and general feel of the place. I only stayed because I had family staying in another room and considered them backup in case of emergency. I would rather sleep all night in the car, cramped and uncomfortable, with kids on the luggage than sleep here again.

If you considered staying, but changed your mind from my review - pls give me a Helpful vote (husband says my average 1/1000 helpful to reads suggests I should stop reviewing!)

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
7  Thank pho2journo2003
grainvalleygm, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2014

I am sorry your stay with us was not a pleasant experience. Yes, we do have some extended stay quests and some of the corkers do unwind, if that is a good term to use, on the weekends when they are away from home for a while. The one quest that you had referred to was asked to go to his room when I realized what condition he was in so that he did not interrupt other quests. We try to provide a friendly atmosphere for our guests while staying with us. The cord that you referred to is an electronic eye extension added to the cable TV box when the box will not reach around the TV so that one can operate the remote. I am not sure why you did not reach anyone at the desk when you tried to contact someone regarding the wi fi other than they may have been helping another quest and did not get to the phone in time as we were sold out that night. We did miss the need for repair on the flip lock and have addressed this. We strive to have a clean room for every quest during their stay with us.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

The truck parked by the front entrance with two flat tires and a thick layer of dust should have been the first clue to not even check in!! We knew that this place wouldn't be anything special for the price, but were hoping it would be a clean place to sleep. It was so nasty we slept on top of the covers, and used blankets we had in the car. The non-smoking room smelled awful, there were smears of who knows what on the walls. Sheets were stained, and covers had cigarette holes in them. Didn't even bother to check out "breakfast" just wanted to get out of this dump. Cheap doesn't always equal a dump, but in this case it does.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Penny B
Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

I decided to go for a cheaper hotel since we were just passing through and only needed a place to rest our heads before getting on the road again early the next morning. First off we were assigned a room that had not been cleaned at all. There so was no continental breakfast as advertised, which was a deciding factor when I booked the hotel. It's totally worth it to spend a little extra money BC you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Bizzled
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed here the first weekend of June 2013, weather was pretty warm, but pool no open due to construction. It would have been very helpful for them to share that information with us when we booked the place. The rooms are dated, but clean. The staff is rude. Breakfast is a joke, and if you have children, be prepared for the staff to get mad when the kids want to play outside. There are quite a few people who actually live at this place, traffic coming and going all hours of the night, kinda like a flop house. The price was good but overall I was very disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank bassetlover1119
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I stayed here this week (June 3/2013) and I was surprisingly impressed. I had a quick trip for a funeral and wanted to at least get half way to my destination from the airport. I arrived at 12:30AM and the woman at the desk was very nice. My room had everything I could want; hair dryer, shampoo, conditioner, fridge, microwave and probably the most comfortable bed and pillows I've had at a hotel in a long time. The room was spacious. There was coffee in the room and 4 pods instead of one which no one does anymore. The breakfast was light but adequate to get on the road. There was cereal, toast, bagels and coffee. My only complaint would be the shower pressure was non-existent but for $50 it was wonderful.

Room Tip: I was in Room 127 and it was quiet and a king room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank moneymoo
Reviewed May 23, 2013

The hotel is a great place to stay if you are in the area. It has a lower price but is worth staying at if you don't care about the decor or room furnishings. It is an older style hotel - nothing fancy. The breakfast is not that great but for the price you can find somewhere else to eat if you want a hot breakfast. The breakfast area is very small and also has the ice machine located in it. They have cereals, muffins and toast, juice and coffee. There was a problem in one room and when we called to let them know they fixed it before we got back to our room.
The staff was friendly for our stay

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Americas Best Value Inn? Share your experiences!