“Nice place, free WiFi and continental breakfast”
Review of Madison Inn Lodge

Madison Inn Lodge
Madison Inn Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fredericktown
Reviewed October 5, 2005

Since the previous review of this motel (5/12/05) consists mainly of a personal attack on the management, I decided to spend a night here myself to see if it was really so horrible. It isn't. In fact it's a pretty nice place.

The motel is a former Econo Lodge now owned by a retired engineer and his wife. When I showed the owner the 5/12/05 review, he remembered the "cracked sink" incident. More on that later.

My room was clean and spacious -- one king bed but it could easily have accommodated two. Fixtures were up-to-date except that the shower head needed replacing -- but that's such a common problem in motels I scarcely noticed it. Drapes appeared new. Linens and carpet were clean and in good condition. There was a small splotch on the carpet, about 2 x 3 inches, that appeared to be a chemical burn caused by a caustic substance of some kind. Perhaps a four-star hotel in Paris would replace the entire carpet over something like this, but I wouldn't. If this sort of thing bothers you then try the Marriott in St. Louis, 60 miles up the road.

Freebies include in-room coffee service, WiFi that actually works, and a continental breakfast. The breakfast fare isn't lavish (bagels, donuts, cereal, coffee, juice) but perfectly adequate considering the price.

All in all a pleasant experience -- in fact, above expectations for a motel in a town of 4,000 people.

Now about the "cracked sink" incident -- I wasn't there, but let's just say there are two sides to every story. Yes, the owner did try to charge the guest's credit card for the damages. But we're also talking about far more than a cracked sink -- I saw the photos. If the owners wish to go into detail they can post something here, but I'll say no more than that.

• Stayed: October 2005, traveled on business
1  Thank LeGascon

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 11, 2005

Upon arrival to the "Madison Inn Lodge" the outside of the hotel doesn't look to bad. Once in the room you could tell things were just average and not 100%. Carpet and sheets weren't the cleanest and there was some type of sauce on the phone which wasn't a huge deal but made me question how clean the rest of the room was. I did notice that there was a small crack in the sink but was not concerned with it since it was fully operational and could easily be fixed. Since we were working in town we stayed there for five nights and checked out. The day after we checked out we got one of the nastiest phone calls about us breaking his sink. I explained that the sink was a pre-existing condition that I had noticed but wasn't a big deal because it still worked and could be fixed very easily by the maintenance department. He made terrible threats to me over the phone and told me that my credit card had already be charged an extra $250 to fix his sink that would probably have taken $10 and a trip to the parts store to fix. I fought with him through the credit card company for over six months. After they would clear it he (the manager) would charge it again. I should have taken him to court for fraudulent charges and the credit card company was getting fed up with him also. After this incident I would never stay at this hotel again. I would never want anyone to be put in this same situation either. Now when I have to stay in Fredericktown, I have found some very nice hotels in Farmington with very comparable rates. It is definitely worth the drive to stay away from this dump!!!

• Stayed: May 2004, traveled on business
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Been to Madison Inn Lodge? Share your experiences!