“Heartbreaking” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Taulov
Oudenaarde, Belgium
“Heartbreaking”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed in this hotel many times in the last ten years. I always loved the warm atmosphere and the history of the place. Moreover it is close to the motorway and has a decent restaurant.
Unfortunately the last two years I feel the hotel is losing its charm. There is still the lovely lounge with the fire place and the old chairs, but the lounge is the only place where the history and old pride still reflects.
The rooms are getting neglected and do no longer justify the prices charged.
Allthough the staff is still very friendly one can feel the decline has started.
Striking example: when we arrived for breakfast the jar of orange juice was empty. As I do not drink any coffee or tea I kept my eye on the buffet to see when it was filled again. Twenty minutes later we finished our breakfast, nobody of the staff had turned up and now most jars of juices were empty... Is it due to reducing staff, or simply lack of passion and commitment, fact is it is breaking my heart what has become of the place. Since a while I do not dine here anymore, looking at the fallen quality of breakfast a wise choice.
I will always love the historic place, but for my next stay I think I will look out for a different hotel to stay, offering better value for 130 euro/night.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Sybille M, Chef  at BEST WESTERN Kryb I Ly, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at BEST WESTERN KRYB I LY.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Korean first
Greve, Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

DO NOT go for package with fixed dinner and more...

Just order the hotel, book the room -The suites are not anormal standard....

No funny please to stay, then stay another lease in the nabyhoud

Find another plce

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Kim R
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Hotel isolated but staff was very friendly and helpful. Large swimming pool available. The Restaurant was Amazing, the breakfast was fantastic. The family room is very well equipped and the bed was very comfortable. Enjoyed a nice glass of white wine in the patio. A car is recommended.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank saliam
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Its hard to disagree with the rest of the reviews on here but personally I really like this hotel. I travel to Denmark on business and stay here when I can. Its a very old hotel and yes, it could do with modernizing but the staff are very helpful and i've always found the rooms clean and tidy. Not the best for things to do but if your looking for a nice hotel with great food. Look no further. Not many hotels in the area are as good as this one.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Rooms are dated & in need of upgrading, carpets are dirty. Being so far from anywhere it's easy to go stir crazy (no gym, though there is a pool).
Menu is typically Danish, so difficult for a non dairy eater. No shaving mirror in bathroom.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars

Travelers are raving about these Taulov hotels

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

The hotel itself is perfectly fine. Clean and decently sized rooms. The restaurant is also quite good, though pricey. The problems begin at night. Even though most of the hotel is non-smoking, including the wing in which I stayed, they apparently do not enforce this rule at all. Smoke flowed freely into my room from the hallway and there was nothing I could do to keep it out. Additionally, between the loud wedding party one night and the early arrival of the laundry truck at 6am that created the most incredible racket, sleeping is not an easy task. I will not be staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
Maria T, Reception at BEST WESTERN Kryb I Ly, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologise for not exceeding your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements.

Best Regards
Maria
Kokkedal, Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

While the staff was very friendly and helpfull, I really do not apprreciate that a very nice old inn is modenised, taken over by Best Western - and completely kills any charm from the past. Besides of the restaurant and front part, the hotel is very cold and actually just a place to stay if nothing else can be found.

There is a great view from the hotel, but no-one will ever notice this as no rooms has views to something nice. You will have to take a walk along the highly trafficed road to see this..

The food is very Danish traditional meat dishes and is very nice made.

Room Tip: Ask for ont not in the basement!