“Mediocre property for above average price”

TownePlace Suites St. Louis Fenton
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Fenton
Reviewed September 26, 2011

I've stayed at other TownePlace Suite properties and was looking forward to an overnight stop during a cross-country car trip. I reserved a room for $89 on a weekend night; this is $20 more than the LaQuinta I usually stay at in Maryland Heights but I'm trying to build Marriott Points. I wish I had the extra $20. The room was adequate - a kitchenette, sitting area, small dining table that doubled as a work space. But it felt cheap - cheap vinyl flooring, cheap furnishings, cheap finishes, old "bubble" TV. Thin walls - I could hear the poor gentleman next door coughing up a lung throughout the night. The room appeared clean but didn't have that clean hotel room smell and I felt that everything kind of had a film on it. The refrigerator had not been emptied and contained open packages of hot dogs, milk, eggs, and cheesecake. Yuck. Breakfast was just weird - a few choices of cereal, yogurt, fruit and bread on a countertop across from the front desk. The staff was friendly and provided a very comprehensive list of nearby eating and shopping options. And the location can't be beat - right on I-44, but if you're traveling East to West as I was, it's a lot of looping to get on and off the highway. As a woman traveling alone, I felt very secure in this location. However, next time it's the $69 LaQuinta in Maryland Heights for me.

Room Tip: Ask for a non-adjoining room. The door between adjoining rooms lets a lot of noise through - I could...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank SixthSister
There are newer reviews for TownePlace Suites St. Louis Fenton

Reviewed July 30, 2011

This hotel had nice rooms. The pool was very small and had been taken over by people who were drinking and were very loud. Not a great family experience. The breakfast was average. There was no place to sit down and eat breakfast with our family. We had to take it back to our room which was at the opposite end of the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 22, 2011

I booked this through Hotels.com and got a great deal. Check in went quick and smooth, they had the reservation ready to go. Front desk was friendly and helpful. We had a 2 bedroom suite with a sleeper sofa in the main room. The room was clean and ready when we checked in. They have basic "cold"breakfast items in the mornings from 6-9. We did not end up utilizing this so I can't rate it, but the kids did enjoy the outdoor pool. The only thing that I might suggest to them would be trash cans in the bedroom since the only one we seemed to have was in the kitchen area. This hotel is in a great location for our needs, about 15 minutes from Six Flags, ten minutes from a MetroLink station and ten minutes from the Swing-A-Round family fun center, not to mention all of the various restaurants in the immediate area (they have a printed sheet of directions that can get you to many of them). We will be back again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 1, 2011

We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite. Although the amount of space was good, the negatives outweighed the space. The pull out couch was one of the worst I've sat on. We never expect much for pull outs but this was exceptionally bad. You could feel every spring. The beds were also uncomfortable and did not allow for a good nights sleep. Our room was right below the stairs in the hall so all night we heard people going up and down the stairs and the door to the outside opening and closing. Wall patches in the bathroom give appearance of repair needed. There is no room to sit for their continental breakfast. If you look at the picture of the lobby that is where the breakfast is served. The pool is also extremely small. Capacity is only 24. And the water was so cold no one wanted to swim. Not condusive for a hotel full of families in the summer. We would not stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 26, 2011

We recently stayed for two nights in a 2-bedroom suite at Towneplace Suites in Fenton. There are many positives about this property, but also a few negatives. First, the layout of the suite was very nice with 2 separate bedrooms, a living room, a kitchen and a bathroom. The suite itself was very clean, however, a trash can located outside one of the doors to the building was overflowing with trash the night we arrived and was never emptied by housekeeping or the grounds crew during our entire stay. The hotel is in a VERY quiet and safe location and we heard no noise from outside at all during our stay. However, from the living room, you could hear people in the hallways very clearly and also could clearly hear the people in the suite next to us talking in their living room. The front door was not sealed well and I’m sure this is why the noise in the living room was such a problem. I must add, however, that the bedrooms were very quiet (and the beds were comfortable too). Although there are no restaurants in the immediate area, the hotel does provide a very helpful list of many restaurants (and gas stations) that are a short drive away. The list gives very thorough directions to these restaurants and we had no trouble finding the ones we went to. We drove to St. Louis to visit the Gateway Arch and were able to get there in approximately a half-hour. The front desk staff is friendly and helpful. The WIFI connection was excellent and very speedy. While the rooms were nice, they could definitely use some updating. The sofa appeared old and was very soft and saggy and not comfortable at all to sit on and the televisions were all the old tube style. This is the only hotel out of the 9 hotels we stayed in on this road trip that didn’t have flat-panel TVs. That alone seemed to really make the place feel dated. As previous posters have stated, the breakfast is limited and offers no hot items or a waffle maker and there appeared to be very little (if any) place to sit. This is a definite downside to this hotel. But if you are in the area and need a suite hotel, it is reasonably priced and even with its shortcomings, I would stay here again if I needed a 2-bedroom suite.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 10, 2011

I guess this isn't a very busy TownePlace Suites as no one else has reviewed it since October of last year.

Wife, son, and I just stayed at this hotel again and I wanted to add that they now have a much better breakfast than before! While it is not a hot breakfast, they now have several different varieties of cereals available along with muffins and fruit. Last time I stayed there I think it was just cheap muffins and wrapped poptarts. If you are still looking for a hot breakfast buffet, you can ask the front desk nicely if you could go over to the Fairfield which is next door.

As always, it was a great stay and I highly recommend this hotel to anyone especially families with small kids since there are 1 and 2 bedroom suites available with full kitchens. It is still strongly advised you get driving directions and study them before trying to get there on your own and also a heads up there are no restaurants or grocery stores in the immediate area.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank mkdenver1
Reviewed October 19, 2010

As mentioned before it is your typical TownePlace Suites and built identical to many of them across the country. Only other TPS we've stayed at was in Lombard, IL.

We do like TownePlace, very nice rooms and good service, acceptable prices. The thing is with this TPS, it is in a very difficult to get to location. If you're coming West on I-44, you need to get into a very narrow exit lane and then make three right turns before you can turn into the driveway. If you're coming East on I-44, there is no way of knowing where your exit is and you may end up passing it up and taking a 2 mile detour just to get back there. BTW, if you're coming East on I-44, it's the Mraz Lane exit and follow Highway Drive South to the light at Rudder Road. There are no signs telling you this.

Also, there are no services such as shopping and grocery stores within a 5 mile radius.

Also this hotel gets another demeritz for an extreme lack of breakfast. All you get is some wrapped up danishes, poptarts, and fruit. This is especially a disadvantage because there are no other food choices anywhere in the area.

So before getting settled in, make sure you buy food first and get good directions because it's still rather tough to get to any restaurants or grocery stores.

If you're not too picky with the difficulty accessing the hotel, Westbound I-44 (Eastbound I-44 is very easy to access), shopping, food, and lack of breakfast, then TPS is a great place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fenton
Drury Inn & Suites St. Louis Fenton
Fairfield Inn St. Louis Fenton
Holiday Inn Express Fenton
Hampton Inn St. Louis Southwest
Pear Tree Inn St. Louis Fenton
Drury Inn & Suites St. Louis Southwest

Been to TownePlace Suites St. Louis Fenton? Share your experiences!