“Wonderful Cafe and Bakery”

Russell's Cafe and Bakery
Ranked #1 of 6 Dessert in Fenton
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
St. Louis, MO. USA
“Wonderful Cafe and Bakery”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

Everything in this place is scratch made, except the bread which is sourced from a local bakery. The sandwiches and salads are uniformly delicious. The special snack items and mac/cheese are gourmet on a budget. The decor is comfortable, the staff helpful and courteous. The stars of the show are the bakery items, with the gooey butter cake being the best in the city where it was born. The port wine chocolate cake and the carrot cake have both won awards for best dessert at the St Louis Art Fair. What a wonderful local eatery!

• Visited February 2013

Saint Louis, Missouri
“Umm, umm, good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

My timing avoided the busy lunch hour. The staff was very helpful, friendly, and informative. The food arrived very quickly. The restaurant is expanding and adding a second location in South St. Louis City. I wish it were moving to West County. The current location is rather remote but worth the drive for a return visit. I live 15 miles away. I ordered the pork tenderloin, brie, and apricot sandwich which was served warm. It was served with a bag of Billy Goat Chips. The sandwich was a nice-sized portion. I tried to save half for later, but it was too good to wait. The gourmet chips were excellent and a pleasant change from other delis/bakeries. They are a little greasy and salty, but those are two important qualifications for a good potato chip for me! I ordered the meal as a carry-out and was pleased to see no one forgot napkins and had cut the sandwich in half. The restaurant was very clean. I noted that they also do catering. I sampled the gooey butter cake while I waited and almost became powerless to avoid buying a slice. The serving size appeared to be about a four inch square, 1/2 inch high. Price points on all items seemed a little high compared to the St. Louis standard Bread Co. My sandwich was $8.50. I noticed an option for 1/2 sandwich plus salad, but the sandwich variety was limited. Wish they expanded those choices.

• Visited February 2013
Fenton, MO
“Fun place to eat with amazing desserts!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

I live a short distance from Russells in Fenton, my daughter and I have eaten there several times. The food is delicious and the desserts are out of this world. The cafe is small and can get very busy and loud during the lunch hour, but it's unique and a fun place to eat. The menu items are a little high priced, but if you're wanting something different and healthier than fast food, I recommend Russells.

• Visited January 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Too much hassle!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

I've eaten lunch here just recently on business and it's Too Loud, Too noisy, Overpriced, Takes 15-20 minutes to get a simple sandwich, Not very friendly staff and they don't seem to have people in place to serve their food, apparently it's whoever can run out of the kitchen. My food was served by a girl that had food stains all over her apron. That's not what I like to see before I eat something. The owner(s) or manager need a better system for serving food. In short, this place is Too Much Hassle!!!

• Visited January 2013
Anthem, Arizona
“OK food, needs some help”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

I've eaten here a handful of times for lunch and its not a bad little cafe. The inside is nice and they have outdoor seating, which is nice when its warmer outside. Theres not many places to eat at in the area, so another restaurant helps. Here's the the pros and cons of this cafe.

Pros - The inside is nice. The sandwiches, soups, and salads are OK. I've eaten the chipotle chicken club, the Russell club, Balt, several salads and soups. They all taste good. The bakery there makes a good gooey butter cake, cookies, and a few other treats that change from time to time.

Cons - Because its a small cafe, there's always a long line at lunch time and it takes a long time to get your food once its been ordered. I've gone there for lunch and its very hard to get my food and eat it within a half hour. If you go, call ahead with your order first and pick it up to take with you. The prices of their sandwiches are high. It will cost me around $10.00 for a sandwich, a small amount of chips, and a drink. I can get the same meal for half that price somewhere else. Each time I've eaten there the employees at the front counter seem stressed out and don't really smile. Also, you can see into the kitchen through a window and they don't seem happy and you can here a lot of yelling. It takes a while for tables to get cleared to eat at.

In short, they serve barely average food, with below average service.