“A great hotel with kind and pleasant staff.”
Review of Stratford Inn

Stratford Inn
Stratford Inn
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Fenton
Beckley, West Virginia
“A great hotel with kind and pleasant staff.”
Reviewed January 18, 2011

My recent stay at the Stratford was enjoyable. The room was clean and the staff were very courteous and kind. I would recommend this hotel to friends and any other perspective guest.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Des Arc, Missouri
Reviewed January 13, 2011

In todays economy when budgets are tight, The Stratford Inn has kept the prices down so that working families can still enjoy a night away. My husband works for Union Pacific Railroad. He and his coworkers always stay at the Stratford when working in the Fenton area. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The food is great, and you have an in house lounge if you choose to enjoy the night life. Recently my father in law had to have an unexpected surgery. I had to drive my mother in law to the city. My husband called the staff at the Stratford. I had a clean, non smoking room on the bottom floor waiting for me. The staff gave me directions to the hospital and to area restaurants. They inquired as to how my father in law was progressing, and even called me to check on him a few days after surgery. They are in the process of remodeling the Stratford, so I expect great things in the future. We will be staying at the Stratford again, soon I hope.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Tulsa
Reviewed March 21, 2010

We tried to find a hotel in St. Louis while passing through town and could not find a room due to a convention in town. The Stratford was the only one with vacancies and desperate for a bed for our 6 and 7-year-old boys, we checked-in. Boy, we couldn't wait to check-out and the kids at one point asked if they could sleep in the car (I was actually thinking the same thing). Bugs,both dead and alive, were everywhere in the room - a big pile of dead bugs were under the AC, live ones would run when we turned on the lights in the bathroom (do they have cockroaches in Missouri?), and found a few in our bed (think they were dead but didn't wait around to find out) when we turned down the sheets were creepy. But the bugs didn't seem so bad when we also found hair in our sheets so we dragged some blankets we had in the car into our room, laid them on top of the beds, and slept on top instead of inside the sheets. The sink and tub were stained with rust, the room smelled of must, and with all of the loud, drunk people roaming the halls all night, we were on edge wondering if our shaky door knob would keep us safe as we sleep. We checked in at midnight and out by 7 AM and noticed as we left our room that exterior doors were propped open so people could come and go as they wanted - not a lot of security issues here. Out of desperation and a $40 bill, it served its purpose for one night.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank FunFilledFamily
DBraunsdorf, Owner at Stratford Inn, responded to this review, December 20, 2010
I am the owner of this hotel. WE have a pest control man come in every month to spray
for bugs. I have hired a lady to take over housekeeping, and put comment cards in the
rooms. Todate, I have not had one complaint about dirty rooms. This was started in September 2010. The doors have deadbolts to the halls and those doors which lead to the
outside have deadbolts. All of the downstairs rooms have been remodeled and the upstairs
rooms have had the carpets steamcleaned. The rooms are all nonsmoking now except for
one section. If there was an odor in the room it was from smoking. January 2nd, 2011, all
hotels in St. Louis County will be nonsmoking due to an ordnance passed by the County.
My hotel is a historic landmark along Old Route 66, and I am a proud owner.

Travelers are raving about these Fenton hotels

Webster Groves
Reviewed March 9, 2010

OK, after I read the other reviews on here I was really worried about staying here. We were staying after seeing a friends band. When I read the reviews I thought no way are we gonna stay, but my friends said lets just see how bad it is. Well we were very surprised. I mean come on for the money what do you expect ? The staff was nice. We had a great time at the benefit. The room was ok. It was clean. We were expecting the worst but it was doable. It's not the Ritz but not that kind of price either. So if you want a cheap place to stay it's worth it.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Saint Louis
Reviewed January 27, 2010

This place has become a hangout for local swingers clubs, namely St. Louis 4 fun. They hotel offers a stay and play package for when they host their monthly parties. The group is loud, inconsiderate, brash, and is allowed free reign of the place. We left early because we were so grossed out. The place was dirty, the women would not use the restrooms because they were disgusting, and we felt extremely uncomfortable with the management's tolerance of behaviors going on.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
5 Thank traveled_warrior
I am the owner of this hotel. Unfortunately, we did have some "swingers" book into the
hotel. I do not tolerate this sort of thing and we have put a stop to this. It seems the person
who wrote this review was very familiar with the swinger name and that they met here monthly.
I am questioning the motive of this review.
St. Louis
Reviewed January 23, 2010

We picked this place to spend New Years Eve, because several years ago a group of
us went, it was great and close to home. Well needless to say, the food would rate a
big fat ZERO. The roast beef was so nasty, on first bite, I had to spit it out. The potatoes
and green beans were ice cold. I had to throw the whole plate of food away.
They said there would be three rooms that we could go into without extra charge.
They stated one room would be with WIL, therefore we thought it would be country
music. It wasn't, they played Disco music, with one or two Country songs mixed in.
We sat with some young couples, that were spending the night. They said their rooms
were horrible. The ceiling was falling down, the bathrooms were nasty.
I do not know who owns this place, but it should be shut down.
What a big waste of money.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
4 Thank rosepnter
I am the owner of this hotel. I am sorry that the person who wrote this had a bad experience
at the hotel on New Year's Eve. We have a huge turnout every year for this event and the
hotel is a sell out. This has been an on going event for 18 years. You should have complained
to your waitress that the food was cold. We serve over 2800 people on New Year's Eve,
and we want our customers to be happy.
Upper Midwest
Reviewed October 26, 2009

Other reviews are dead on. Things have not improved in the years since the earliest negative reviews here.

I had specifically asked for an upstairs room with no outside door, but they put me downstairs anyway. The door to the outside had a visible gap between it and the doorjam. NO DEADBOLTS!! The door chain was hanging on by a single screw, and even that wasn't fully seated. I opened the door out of shear curiosity and found the outside of the door was basically plywood that was beat to hell. Asked for a change of room and was politely switched to an upstairs room.

Knowing that even the finest hotels rarely wash the blankets/comforters, I immediately pulled those back on the bed I anticipated sleeping in. Found dirty fingerprints on the edges of the top sheet and the bottom sheet was so poorly fitted, there was no way it was going to stay on. Sheets were clearly slept in -- unless their cleaning staff finds it more efficient to carry the sheets up from the laundry in a ball rather than fold them. Not even a faint crease mark from having once been folded was visible. But there were LOTS of the little wrinkles from weeks of use. Pulled back the covers on the other bed and initially thought it was clean (was at least a little "smoother"), but upon pulling back the top sheet, found obvious dirt where someone had been in the bed with their shoes on (or, as another reviewer pointed out, perhaps their feet/socks were just that dirty from walking around on the filthy carpet).

Called about 3 other hotels in he vacinity, but they all wanted over $100 per night, and that just wasn't in my budget, as I'm currently unemployed. Debated whether I'd feel safer sleeping in my car outside a 24 hour restaurant. Ultimately decided to stay, but went down to my car and got my sleeping bag. Removed all pillows from the bed, save one, and tucked it well under my bag, so that only the bag touched the bedding and I only touched the bag. Will be giving the bag a thorough airing on the clothes line before it comes back in the house, as I would be surprised if the beds were NOT infested.

Oh yeah -- the pool was closed over a year ago, but the website hasn't been updated. There's a sign at the front desk saying "Pool closed. No refunds for that reason" -- of course, it's no hard to find another reason to request a refund!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank a_pseudonymn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fenton
Drury Inn & Suites St. Louis Fenton
Pear Tree Inn St. Louis Fenton
Fairfield Inn St. Louis Fenton
TownePlace Suites St. Louis Fenton
Hampton Inn St. Louis Southwest
Holiday Inn Express Fenton

Been to Stratford Inn? Share your experiences!