“not as bad as the other reviews made it out to be”
Review of Stratford Inn

Stratford Inn
Stratford Inn
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Fenton
Reviewed March 9, 2010

OK, after I read the other reviews on here I was really worried about staying here. We were staying after seeing a friends band. When I read the reviews I thought no way are we gonna stay, but my friends said lets just see how bad it is. Well we were very surprised. I mean come on for the money what do you expect ? The staff was nice. We had a great time at the benefit. The room was ok. It was clean. We were expecting the worst but it was doable. It's not the Ritz but not that kind of price either. So if you want a cheap place to stay it's worth it.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Stratford Inn

Reviewed January 27, 2010

This place has become a hangout for local swingers clubs, namely St. Louis 4 fun. They hotel offers a stay and play package for when they host their monthly parties. The group is loud, inconsiderate, brash, and is allowed free reign of the place. We left early because we were so grossed out. The place was dirty, the women would not use the restrooms because they were disgusting, and we felt extremely uncomfortable with the management's tolerance of behaviors going on.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
5  Thank traveled_warrior
DBraunsdorf, Owner at Stratford Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2010

I am the owner of this hotel. Unfortunately, we did have some "swingers" book into the
hotel. I do not tolerate this sort of thing and we have put a stop to this. It seems the person
who wrote this review was very familiar with the swinger name and that they met here monthly.
I am questioning the motive of this review.

Reviewed January 23, 2010

We picked this place to spend New Years Eve, because several years ago a group of
us went, it was great and close to home. Well needless to say, the food would rate a
big fat ZERO. The roast beef was so nasty, on first bite, I had to spit it out. The potatoes
and green beans were ice cold. I had to throw the whole plate of food away.
They said there would be three rooms that we could go into without extra charge.
They stated one room would be with WIL, therefore we thought it would be country
music. It wasn't, they played Disco music, with one or two Country songs mixed in.
We sat with some young couples, that were spending the night. They said their rooms
were horrible. The ceiling was falling down, the bathrooms were nasty.
I do not know who owns this place, but it should be shut down.
What a big waste of money.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
4  Thank rosepnter

I am the owner of this hotel. I am sorry that the person who wrote this had a bad experience
at the hotel on New Year's Eve. We have a huge turnout every year for this event and the
hotel is a sell out. This has been an on going event for 18 years. You should have complained
to your waitress that the food was cold. We serve over 2800 people on New Year's Eve,
and we want our customers to be happy.

Reviewed October 26, 2009

Other reviews are dead on. Things have not improved in the years since the earliest negative reviews here.

I had specifically asked for an upstairs room with no outside door, but they put me downstairs anyway. The door to the outside had a visible gap between it and the doorjam. NO DEADBOLTS!! The door chain was hanging on by a single screw, and even that wasn't fully seated. I opened the door out of shear curiosity and found the outside of the door was basically plywood that was beat to hell. Asked for a change of room and was politely switched to an upstairs room.

Knowing that even the finest hotels rarely wash the blankets/comforters, I immediately pulled those back on the bed I anticipated sleeping in. Found dirty fingerprints on the edges of the top sheet and the bottom sheet was so poorly fitted, there was no way it was going to stay on. Sheets were clearly slept in -- unless their cleaning staff finds it more efficient to carry the sheets up from the laundry in a ball rather than fold them. Not even a faint crease mark from having once been folded was visible. But there were LOTS of the little wrinkles from weeks of use. Pulled back the covers on the other bed and initially thought it was clean (was at least a little "smoother"), but upon pulling back the top sheet, found obvious dirt where someone had been in the bed with their shoes on (or, as another reviewer pointed out, perhaps their feet/socks were just that dirty from walking around on the filthy carpet).

Called about 3 other hotels in he vacinity, but they all wanted over $100 per night, and that just wasn't in my budget, as I'm currently unemployed. Debated whether I'd feel safer sleeping in my car outside a 24 hour restaurant. Ultimately decided to stay, but went down to my car and got my sleeping bag. Removed all pillows from the bed, save one, and tucked it well under my bag, so that only the bag touched the bedding and I only touched the bag. Will be giving the bag a thorough airing on the clothes line before it comes back in the house, as I would be surprised if the beds were NOT infested.

Oh yeah -- the pool was closed over a year ago, but the website hasn't been updated. There's a sign at the front desk saying "Pool closed. No refunds for that reason" -- of course, it's no hard to find another reason to request a refund!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank a_pseudonymn
Reviewed March 10, 2008

This place is a dump. Water all over the bathroom floor from a leaking shower, carpets and beds are disgusting and to top that off try to get help at the front desk. Booked a king or queen bed and got 2 full size. I asked for a manager and the man who showed up looked like he just crawled out of the bar. If you have no other choice but to stay at this hole I would say sleep in your car.

• Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank coffeehouse1
Reviewed September 5, 2007

I was attending a wedding in St. Louis on the Labor Day Weekend and it was hard to find a hotel room. I called Expedia and they found the "Stratford Inn" as having an available room so I booked it. My girlfriend and I arrived there and the first thing we noticed were the air conditioners hanging from the windows. We came in and there was a person behind the counter in a dirty white shirt with holes in it. We got our keys and went up the stairs to find the room. There was a dirty towel (and I mean dirty, almost black in color) in front of our doors. There was blood smeared on our doors and the room smelled really bad. ....... I'm gonna skip ahead a little bit ..... we got back from the wedding around 2am and noticed that there was loud music coming from downstairs and realized that there is a "Stratford Bar & Grill" in the adjacent room to the lobby. There were drunk people all over the hotel and music was blaring throughout the hotel. This was the worst experience I have ever had with a hotel.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CroMania
Reviewed July 29, 2007

I called myself looking this place up to see pictures before we decided to book there. The pictures were probably 20 years old. We got there, signed in, got our handy cards to open the door and the remote. The REMOTE?!? We had to re-activate the cards twice as they kept not working.

I pulled the comforter off to find what looked like pubic hair on the blanket. Pulled that off to find a spider under the sheet.
We left for the day to come back that night to the room not having been cleaned up or fresh towels. When I called the front desk, they said they'd send some up. A few minutes later they called back and said we had to "meet the guy in the laundry" to get some towels. We had to walk all the way around to the other side of the place to get towels. We were in Room 212. There isnt a clock, we only got one little sample of soap.. good thing I brought my own.

I was also ticked off because we paid $25 more through the site we used for the room. The sign out front says $45 per night or $245 a week. Yep.. this is a pay by the week place. There were atleast 2 families living there.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank cakelady73
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fenton
Drury Inn & Suites St. Louis Fenton
Pear Tree Inn St. Louis Fenton
Fairfield Inn St. Louis Fenton
TownePlace Suites St. Louis Fenton
Holiday Inn Express Fenton
Drury Inn & Suites St. Louis Southwest

Been to Stratford Inn? Share your experiences!