Inn on Crescent Lake
The Elms Hotel and Spa(Excelsior Springs)
$119
$53
Priceline
$149
TownePlace Suites
All reviewspaddle boatsgarden roombed and breakfastb bhot tubkissing pointromantic getawaycouple's massagetuscany suitethe main househonor barbreakfast was deliciousstuffed french toastrow boatkansas citypool houseclose to home
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I recently had my small wedding (45 ppl) at this facility and the entire planning process of making payments and picking flowers and cake flavors went very smoothly. However, once the event began, things started to get weird. For instance, we already knew that unless we purchased a keg, we would have to pay a $50 corkage fee for any bottled beer we brought in. The two dads brought their own specialty beer, a 6-pk of Chelada and Guinness, to put into our 'approved cooler', but were quickly told that these beers were 'not approved' and the bride would have to be spoken to about this. Also, when one of our overnight guests was about to take a friend to see her room, again Beverly swooped in with an, "Absolutely not. Only approved guests are allowed past the staircase- no exceptions". But the kicker of the night was when 2 friends who RSVP'd didn't show up, and two family members that didn't RSVP did arrive, they were asked to leave since their names weren't on the place cards. I didn't know this until after the wedding, and it broke my heart, as well as illicited the only curse words I have ever heard from my husband's grandpa in the whole time I've known him. I understand the need to be 'on top of it' when hosting an event, but this ventured into a level of frantic micromanagement that left many guests feeling uncomfortable. In fact, I found out later that guests were referring to her as the "wedding nazi". From a service standpoint, the only saving grace of that night was Beverly's husband Craig, who was so relaxed and friendly to all our guests, and did not treat them as an imposition or liability. Also, heard after the wedding, "Why were there pictures of Beverly's wedding all over your reception room?"; "She told us we couldn't order a pizza when the wedding ended because they don't deliver after 10pm, but the pizza place told us no problem"; and "Is she on speed?". Needless to say, I feel really bad about the level of service my guests received, and still see the value of the venue for a romantic getaway for two, but certainly not for an event.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Bluebirdie2012
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I arrived Tuesday afternoon and I was greeted by Beverly, the owner of this magnificent property. The property is right off the main road coming into Excelsior Springs but it is so secluded you could almost think you were way out in the country. The warm welcome and the ambience of the house captured me immediately. I stayed with another friend in the cottage and found the cottage to have all the comforts of a home away from home. The morning breakfasts were so delectable. Craig and Beverly are wonderful hosts and bent over backward to make sure each detail of our stay was according to our liking. I do recommend this lovely B & B for anyone wanting a day, or a week away from the rat-race of the world. Also,the short trip into the main downtown of Excelsior Springs adds so many fun places to shop, eat and be entertained.

Room Tip: Cottage is spacious for groups so you have your own 'special area' to gather and visit without disturbing other guests.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Pat F
Reviewed September 17, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed here in The Ballroom for our 8 year anniversary and it was an absolutely perfect weekend! The accomodations were fantastic and the staff was very personable. We will definitely be back! If you get a chance, be sure to check out the various photo albums in the living room. You will leave feeling like you've known the owner, Beverly, for years.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Had a great time I only wished we had arrived earlier to enjoy more of the surrounding areas but the great coffee and great walking area the next morning made us only want more time....the owner was fantastic and personable not to mention cute :-)
Aaron

Room Tip: Rooms at the from provided a great view of the from lawn and the surroundings
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2012

My husband and I came here for our anniversary. It is a beautiful place with many things to do right on the property. The rooms are nice (we stayed in 2 different rooms) breakfasts are delicious and the staff is wonderful. We will be back!

• Stayed: September 2012