“Thoroughly Impressed”

The Elms Hotel and Spa
Fort Worth, Texas
“Thoroughly Impressed”
Reviewed May 19, 2014

Was booked as a weekend getaway and we are glad we chose this place..

The Front Door.
Arrived a little late but was well received by all. Valet was exceptionally nice and took great care of my car. I usually like to carry my own luggage(it's a personal choice) but the Mrs was well taken care of with "All" her bags..

The Front Desk
Staff was very friendly and accomodating. Layout was explained and then we were informed we were being upgraded to a suite. The staff went above and beyond to make the stay very enjoyable and worry-free. I asked for a table top fan and they provided promptly and delivered it to the room right away.

The Room.
It was a suite and very comfortable. Large living room with comfortable couches, Nice Vanity room before the Bedroom. Bathroom was spacious and well laid out with exceptional towels .. Bedroom had a very large King-sized bed and very comfortable. Luxurious linen and comforters. AC worked very well. We had a nice view of the grounds looking over the pools and spas. Room was quiet and we were not interrupted by neighbors. Only thing to note is perhaps the Tour group in the evening.(Apparently there are Ghost reported here, I didn't see any)

Amenities
The Mrs enjoyed the Spa treatments and pampering. I enjoyed the solitude in the room or the large sitting areas throughout the hotel to handle business and or enjoy breakfast or lunch. Dinner was usually brought up to the room.

The Report Card
All in all this was a magnificent hotel and we really enjoyed it. Enough that we stayed an extra night. We were even allowed to stay in the same suite instead of moving to another room..
I highly recommend it..

Happy Travels.

Room Tip: Valet parking for a fee. Or park it yourself for free. Parking lots are right next to each other...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Armed_Businessman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Kansas City
Reviewed May 19, 2014

My wife and I went to the Elms for our anniversary last weekend. Room was a king suite at about 179 (200 after tax). The hotel is very charming and has recently been renovated. They did a pretty good job.

Room was clean. Linens and bed were nice. Bathroom was tiny but clean. Overall, pretty good compared to similar historical spa resort hotels we've been to. (namely the Crescent in Eureka Springs).

Because of the many recommendations online saying the restaurant was overpriced and not that great, we opted to eat lunch at Willow Spring Mercantile, a quaint little wine shop/lunch place that lived up to the reviews. Probably the culinary highlight of our stay.

We get back to our room and discover the walls are paper thin, and we have a family with a baby, a child and a mom who likes to baby talk to her child so loudly, we had to leave (hoping this would die down at "bedtime."

Ate Dinner at the Ventana in town. (Mistake) And came back for a soak in the hot tub. While the tub was nice, they really should have someone cleaning up the copius amounts of bird feces all around the outdoors for a place that has a historical reputation for its pools spa etc.

Also, I tried to make reservations 2 days ahead of time for massages. They were pretty much completely booked. Even a pedicure for my wife was undoable. That was my bad. Should have called sooner.

Ghost tour was worth the money (free) but could use some pizazz in the story telling department. Bar was fine.

Ate at the restaurant for breakfast. Service was horrific. She took our order and dissappeared There wasn't a server to be found in the dining room for most of our meal. (they were all working the wedding party in the ballroom) so we were treated second class. Food was average. Bread pudding was delicious.

Overall, the hotel has a ways to go as far as service and is really missing an opportunity as the springs are no longer part of the deal. You're swimming in tap water.

The final straw was at 6am when I was trying to sleep and the mother next door started in with the baby talk on the couch just opposite of our wall. I banged the wall 3 times to try to get her to stop. Complained to the staff. No attempt was made to rectify the situation. But really at that point it was too late.

As far as the town goes, everything except the bbq place (which had live music going outside the night we were there) closes up at 5. Total ghost town most of the day too.

Room Tip: Ask for Al Capone's room.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Emporia, Kansas
Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I really enjoyed our trip to The Elms. We received couples massages, pedicures, vichy showers and detox soaks. The spa was wonderful! Sherri did a wonderful massage. The 88 at the Elms restaurant was very good but service is slow. I'm very patient and loved the scenery in the restaurant the wait staff were very friendly. Cafe service was non existant though, too busy playing a video on her laptop to be bothered by customers. Rooms were beautiful but housekeeping forgets at 7:30 am people are sleeping and slamming a vacume into our room door might be disruptive. Overall I would be back but would prefer a quiter room.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Auerbach, Germany
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Our room was dark and older smelling. It was set up kinda strange too like the bedroom had our vanity I between the living room. It was a family suite but old...i got creeped out on all the hallways. Seems haunted or something.

Room Tip: If you smoke go somewhere else, there are no smoking rooms yet our room smelled kinda like a wet ash...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hot Springs, Arkansas
Reviewed May 6, 2014

Our visit was in connection with the British car show and the Hotel provided a very adequate setting. We were pleased with the room and service, but the beds were much firmer than we are used to so sleep was not as pleasant as we had hoped. The weather did not co0operate but you certainly had no control over that.
Leland Felix and Family

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 6, 2014

One of the loveliest spas in the Midwest! My 60 minute facial was amazing, and I want to get another one soon. My king sized room was so very comfortable, and I'm looking forward to going back again on another girlfriend's weekend, or with my husband the next time.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed May 5, 2014

I'll start with the good: The Elms is a beautiful place. The rooms are comfortable and clean. The pool and grounds are great. The food is above average and the service personnel are amiable, albeit a bit under-trained. The staff handled the large wedding I recently attended competently.

The bad: It is almost unbelievable that a luxury hospitality business could possess such an incompetent reservation system. After originally reserving a room three months ago, The Elms lost my room reservation, not once or twice, but three times! Most disappointing was the fact that the staff person(s) I dealt with each time seemed both incapable of sorting out the problem and were reluctant to contact a supervisor who could. Though I presented the e-mail from them with the confirmation numbers, we were finally left with a room tucked into the ventilation system. I probably wouldn't have written this if the highly acclaimed spa hadn't, in addition, lost my massage reservation! It appears obvious to me that the staff has been poorly trained.

Room Tip: Before you arrive, and perhaps multiple times, make sure they have a record of your existence!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
#5 of 108 in Kansas City
Ameristar Casino Hotel Kansas City
Sleep Inn & Suites and Indoor Water Park
Quality Inn Kearney-Liberty

Been to The Elms Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!