“Great weekend”

The Elms Hotel and Spa
Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I really enjoyed our trip to The Elms. We received couples massages, pedicures, vichy showers and detox soaks. The spa was wonderful! Sherri did a wonderful massage. The 88 at the Elms restaurant was very good but service is slow. I'm very patient and loved the scenery in the restaurant the wait staff were very friendly. Cafe service was non existant though, too busy playing a video on her laptop to be bothered by customers. Rooms were beautiful but housekeeping forgets at 7:30 am people are sleeping and slamming a vacume into our room door might be disruptive. Overall I would be back but would prefer a quiter room.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 7, 2014

Our room was dark and older smelling. It was set up kinda strange too like the bedroom had our vanity I between the living room. It was a family suite but old...i got creeped out on all the hallways. Seems haunted or something.

Room Tip: If you smoke go somewhere else, there are no smoking rooms yet our room smelled kinda like a wet ash...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 6, 2014

Our visit was in connection with the British car show and the Hotel provided a very adequate setting. We were pleased with the room and service, but the beds were much firmer than we are used to so sleep was not as pleasant as we had hoped. The weather did not co0operate but you certainly had no control over that.
Leland Felix and Family

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 6, 2014

One of the loveliest spas in the Midwest! My 60 minute facial was amazing, and I want to get another one soon. My king sized room was so very comfortable, and I'm looking forward to going back again on another girlfriend's weekend, or with my husband the next time.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 5, 2014

I'll start with the good: The Elms is a beautiful place. The rooms are comfortable and clean. The pool and grounds are great. The food is above average and the service personnel are amiable, albeit a bit under-trained. The staff handled the large wedding I recently attended competently.

The bad: It is almost unbelievable that a luxury hospitality business could possess such an incompetent reservation system. After originally reserving a room three months ago, The Elms lost my room reservation, not once or twice, but three times! Most disappointing was the fact that the staff person(s) I dealt with each time seemed both incapable of sorting out the problem and were reluctant to contact a supervisor who could. Though I presented the e-mail from them with the confirmation numbers, we were finally left with a room tucked into the ventilation system. I probably wouldn't have written this if the highly acclaimed spa hadn't, in addition, lost my massage reservation! It appears obvious to me that the staff has been poorly trained.

Room Tip: Before you arrive, and perhaps multiple times, make sure they have a record of your existence!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 5, 2014

My husband and 2 children and I stayed for a family member's wedding. I was really impressed with the staff all over the property. They were sincerely interested in our satisfaction. They made sure all 5 of my siblings got rooms near one another the day of check in with no problem at all.

The rooms are small, I think to be expected for a hotel as old as The Elms, so paying even a discounted price of $154.00 stuck in my craw a bit, but what can you do? Each room has Keurig coffee pots with complimentary K-cups, the lap pool is fabulous, as well as the cold and hot tubs. My kids LOVED swimming there. I wish we had been there later in the season to try out the outdoor pool (it looked beautiful).

I can't comment on food -- it was Easter brunch when we stayed (and a wedding dinner the night before), but they do have a restaurant and room service as well as an in-house bar. Also, if you're still up for more after bar close, the pool is far far away from people, so just head downstairs to finish up your night.
I think I would stay again; maybe set some money back at tax return time or for an Anniversary. It's too expensive for more often than that.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 3, 2014

We had about 200 people at our event, everyone commented about The Elms being the best venue we had ever had for our event. The staff went out of their way to please everyone. I dealt with the staff for over 2 years concerning the event, we were able to operate from our original contract the entire time, and with the same staff the entire time. I have dealt with several large chains previously, this has been the best experience I have had with any hotel. Jack Edwards, Chairman 2014 SCRVTR

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Hampton Inn Kansas City Liberty
#2 of 109 in Kansas City
Embassy Suites by Hilton Kansas City-International Airport
Quality Inn Kearney-Liberty

Been to The Elms Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!