“Delighted with our stay”

The Elms Hotel and Spa
Olathe, Kansas
“Delighted with our stay”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Wife and I stayed at The Elms for our anniversary. Did the suite. We were absolutely delighted. Staff was great from booking through our stay. Helpful and professional. Suite was everything we expected and then some. The Elms is a beautiful place. The feel is very dignified and yet relaxed. We worked our way through the grotto, with the hot tub, dry sauna, steam sauna and steam shower. The cold plunge shower was really really cold! Walked the garden trail one evening. Did breakfast at the 88 both days, and the fare was excellent. All in all, I can't say enough good about The Elms. A great place to get away without having to drive far. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: .The "Al Capone" suite was nice
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Wichita, Kansas, Usa
Reviewed November 23, 2013

I have travelled to the Elms over the last three decades, and the experience just keeps getting better. The newly refurbished rooms and 'the grotto' are a visual and sensual delight, the atmosphere classic yet modern and the facilities top notch. My partner and I were treated like royalty and the staff were very prompt and attentive. Clean, classy and comfortable, the new Elms is an absolute must for any couple wanting a unique and cozy getaway.

Room Tip: We got the 'Al Capone' room, #214. Not only a great view of the Elms but a piece of history...
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed November 19, 2013

My sister and I have always wanted to do a spa day together - lounge in robes, be pampered, etc. But, outside Chicago, there aren't many places for that in the Midwest. We then came across The Elms, which is just as lovely as it looks in the pictures. The spa facilities are top-notch, the entire hotel staff is incredibly friendly and accommodating, and the room - we chose a Parlor Suite - was amazing. Everything has the pleasant feeling of elegant age combined with updated luxury. The dinner we had was disappointing, but the lunch the following day more than made up for it. It was a perfect weekend.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Columbia, Missouri
Reviewed November 17, 2013

My now fiancé and I stayed at the Elms November 8-10 2013. I had gotten a groupon for a spa package and signed us up for a regular king sized room. Upon arriving we were greeted very warmly by the staff. It's a beautiful place, no doubt, just lovely. I write a lot so I categorized things below to help if you just want to skim.

Spa-
First, we went down to the spa to check on our appointment. I had reserved some spa treatments online the week prior and the Friday we were leaving I got a phone call that they had received our online request and to call them back. I should have called sooner and I should have booked our appointment sooner because when we went to the spa to check on the appointment we were told that everything was booked and we should have booked at least 4 weeks in advance. I was surprised since this was the 'largest spa in the midwest', but I realized I really should have booked earlier yet I still felt very disappointed. We used our spa credit for grotto passes for Saturday. The grotto was fine. It was nice and relaxing, but a little crowded and small. Still, we were very grateful to get to use it and unwind. Our entire purpose for the weekend was to get way and relax and it helped. We didn't use any of the pools, but the downstairs lap pool was gorgeous and we would have used it if we didn't spend all day at the grotto on Saturday. So that's the experience we had with the spa. Oh, and the lockers did not all work (the locks) and some things were falling apart a bit (which I'm not used to seeing at a 'world class' spa). Would I use their spa again? Yes- I would just make sure to get the appointments confirmed before the 2 and a half hour drive.

First experience-
It was nice to get there and get ready to unwind and get a bite to eat. After all the horrible reviews about the restaurant there, we went to the hotel bar, 'the Tavern', to get a menu and a drink and order from the bar. We were told it would we could have a menu but it was the same as the restaurant and would take a least an hour to get food. There was no place to sit, so we left and went to walk around the hotel...explore a little, and walk over to the bar b q place across the street (it was delicious...best food we had all weekend). We then walked all around the hotel to sort of explore and it was fun, like stepping back in time.

Room-
Our hotel room was nicely appointed but we were very disappointed that there was no refrigerator. We had leftover food we had to throw away and there are no good food options at the hotel. At all. Not for breakfast lunch or dinner.
We had a nice shower, the memory foam bed was comfortable and we slept really well. Water pressure was great. The walls are super thin and you can hear water, talking and even smell food (we think we may have been over the kitchen or something...) Some of the decorative wood trim was dirty but I doubt anyone would notice except for someone like me who looks for dust and dirt and anything that doesn't seem clean. With that being said, just because of some dirty paneling near the ceiling doesn't mean the room was dirty at all. The room was very clean. Small, but we got the smallest room I think. No conditioner...shampoo and facial moisturizer but no conditioner... Aveda- nice!

Food especially breakfast-
On Saturday before we went to the grotto, we went to get breakfast at the hotel but it had just changed to $18 brunch. Since this wasn't Vegas or an impressive line up of food, it didn't seem worth it, so we went to the little café and got scones and a yogurt parfait. They were terrible. All of them. Scones didn't taste at all like scones, the granola in the parfait was full of dried fruits and it was very sour. (Also, the Sunday buffet was horrible. Worst sausage, biscuits and eggs I've ever had, but the fresh fruit was good. We were laughing so hard about how bad the food was...we almost didn't care. It had become that comical). So we weren't that impressed with the food but Saturday was a gorgeous day so we went out walking and exploring the 'grounds' which were easy to walk around, pretty small area and pretty. We decided to go back to our room and get ready for the spa/grotto and here is where the best and worst happened.

SERVICE-
We walked in our room and my fiancé said "Really? Seriously?" There was a box laying on the bed which had been delivered while we were gone at breakfast. He had roses delivered and had asked the front desk that they be put in the room after we left for dinner. Whoever he spoke to said that was fine, they'd make sure it was all set up. He told them he was going to propose to me after we got back from dinner. Not only were the roses many hours early, they were not unpacked. He just looked at me and I knew what was going to happen so he asked me to leave the room for about 10 minutes. When I came back he had set up the roses and ended up proposing right there, which is why this story is so happy and yet...not the way it should have happened. I found out after all the celebration and calling family and friends and everything that he had called the hotel earlier in the week and told them about our stay, and how he was going to propose and asked if they could have roses and champagne delivered to our room on Saturday when we left for dinner so it would be there when we returned. The front desk told him he'd have to talk to reservations and transferred his call. He spoke with reservations and they said he'd have to talk to the front desk so he was transferred back. He was told that if he had wanted to propose he needed to purchase the 'romance package' because that is what people usually do when they propose there. (He worked in hotel and restaurant management for almost 10 years and was shocked. When he worked in a hotel outside of St. Louis, he got calls like this regularly and would bend over backwards to make this kind of thing happen for guests. But no one at the Elms was willing to help him at all). He explained I had booked the spa package, but he was willing to pay to get those things delivered to make it special for the proposal at this lovely hotel etc. and they said he didn't give them enough notice. So he said he'd take care of it himself (which he did) but then whoever he talked to about the flowers being delivered who told him they would put them in the room etc. didn't do it.

The Elms will always have a special place in our hearts because we got engaged there and I wouldn't say the proposal was 'ruined', in fact it's made a good story to tell. But everything I have heard people say about the Elms and everything I have read about the Elms in terms of service was just hit and miss. I still can't believe no one working there would do anything for my fiancé to help with his proposal.

SERVICE again-
When we checked out, everyone at the front desk was super courteous and polite. One person asked how our stay was and we just looked at each other and smiled. I said it had been good (of course it had, I just got engaged, I was walking on air) but she sensed something wasn't right and asked us what they could have done to make it a better stay... I told her SHE couldn't have done anything, we were fine, the room was fine and we needed to get on the road because we had a long drive home. I just honestly didn't know what to tell her and my fiancé wasn't saying anything so we just left. I asked him why HE hadn't said anything and he told me it didn't matter because it wouldn't change anything that happened.

Would we go back? Yes, if we had a good deal and it was summertime. The pool was gorgeous! I would have loved to get the history of the hotel and a tour but I guess that has to be planned long in advance too. Would I recommend the place? Sure, but I'll tell this story every time anyone asks about my proposal OR the hotel.

Osceola
Reviewed November 17, 2013

A beautiful restored hotel with just enough touches from the early years! All staff was friendly and helpful from checking in to checking out. We stayed on the 5th floor and Debbie the attendant was awesome! Our room was comfortable and clean and the pillow top bed was great. The spa is beautiful and relaxing and the Grotto is a real extra. If there had to be a down fall I would say the hotel restuarant 88, the menu was small and pricey, but there is a BBQ restaurant within walking distance that was great! It is an all around great atmosphere and we can't wait to go back!

Saint Joseph, Missouri, Usa
Reviewed November 16, 2013

For a quiet relaxing get away that leaves you well rested. It is like stepping back in time when a guest is treated with care and concideration.I highly recomend it.
The pools were very beautiful with mineral springs water very relaxing. I found the spring water very good for the skin.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Garnett, Kansas, Usa
Reviewed November 12, 2013

A beautiful old hotel with stunning Spa facilities that are worth enjoying. Terrific golf course near by. Pamper yourself in the Grotto/Spa and feel rejuvenated!
The room was comfortable and clean. The staff was extremely friendly. The coffee shop was wonderful.
The fireplace in the lobby was an enjoyable place to read and relax.
The grounds are beautiful and easy to walk around for enjoyment.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hyatt Place Kansas City Airport
Hyatt Place Kansas City Airport
#5 of 109 in Kansas City
Embassy Suites by Hilton Kansas City-International Airport

Been to The Elms Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!