This historic hotel did a recent renovation and it is beautiful. They did a marvelous job. The spa is outstanding and the lap pool, well, is an actual oval lap not just back and forth; pretty cool. This is a great hotel for a getaway, the grounds are meticulous, the outside pool is heated along with the inside pool and the restaurant was very good as well. The only real negative which is more of just what it is, the rooms are small. They are however, very well done and the bed was great. The hotel was originally built in 1888, so it is what it is. Although I did not stay in it, I did go inside room 214, Al Capone's suite where he actually stayed. It too is a nice 2 room suite, complete with Al Capone's poker table, but it is on the small side for a suite.
One fun thing to do here is the ghost tour. They typically only do it on Thursday, Friday and Saturday; its free and lots of fun. Starts at 11 pm and 1 am depending on the day.
The only other observation is that there isn't a ton of stuff to do in the town itself, many companies have retreats here due to the nice quiet settings. So if you are here for a retreat, or just want to get away and be pampered in the spa, relax and read a book in a serene environment, this is the place for you. You are only about 35 minutes from Kansas City so it isnt that far if you want nightlife, casinos, etc.
I gave this hotel 4 stars which it deserves, and not 5 just due to the room sizes for cost of hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This is more than just an escape from the everyday.It’s an ageless journey to a place where life moves alittle slower. And now, our renovated hotel and spabring The Elms into an entirely new age. It’s thesame old charm, newly appointed. So be our guest.Experience this iconic hotel anew, rejuvenate at thespa and explore charming Excelsior Springs. Wethink you’ll find it to your liking. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Ctrip TA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your The Elms Hotel and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Elms Hotel Excelsior Springs
- Elms Hotel Excelsior Springs
- Elm Resort