“Very nice hotel, and the spa, WOW!”

The Elms Hotel and Spa
Springfield, Missouri
“Very nice hotel, and the spa, WOW!”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

This historic hotel did a recent renovation and it is beautiful. They did a marvelous job. The spa is outstanding and the lap pool, well, is an actual oval lap not just back and forth; pretty cool. This is a great hotel for a getaway, the grounds are meticulous, the outside pool is heated along with the inside pool and the restaurant was very good as well. The only real negative which is more of just what it is, the rooms are small. They are however, very well done and the bed was great. The hotel was originally built in 1888, so it is what it is. Although I did not stay in it, I did go inside room 214, Al Capone's suite where he actually stayed. It too is a nice 2 room suite, complete with Al Capone's poker table, but it is on the small side for a suite.

One fun thing to do here is the ghost tour. They typically only do it on Thursday, Friday and Saturday; its free and lots of fun. Starts at 11 pm and 1 am depending on the day.

The only other observation is that there isn't a ton of stuff to do in the town itself, many companies have retreats here due to the nice quiet settings. So if you are here for a retreat, or just want to get away and be pampered in the spa, relax and read a book in a serene environment, this is the place for you. You are only about 35 minutes from Kansas City so it isnt that far if you want nightlife, casinos, etc.

I gave this hotel 4 stars which it deserves, and not 5 just due to the room sizes for cost of hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Belton, Missouri
Reviewed October 25, 2013

This is my 2nd trip to the Elms -- with only about 11 years between stays. I loved my first trip there and my 2nd was just as wonderful. The hotel has done a LOT of renovations so the spa is so much nicer than it was before [and it was pretty nice way back when as well].

Four of us went up for a girls get away. We got massages, facials, manicures and pedicures. We all LOVED LOVED LOVED the massages and facials along with the quiet room and the grotto. All of us said that we would save our money next time by skipping the manis or pedis - as we have all gotten better pedi's / mani's from our local shops for much less.

If you go for an over night stay - spread your services between the 2 days so that you have free access to the grotto. If you don't have a spa service on one day and want to go to the grotto - it is a $50 per person fee.

The lockerrooms are WONDERFULLY stocked. They have nice large dressing rooms and wonderful showers. They also provide some basics -- razors, combs, deoderant, etc.

If you are into "haunted" locations - according to the tour we took - room 425 is the most active but most of the floors have a lot of activity [suppossedly] as well.

I would highly recommend this to anyone wanting a good get away - girls weekend, honeymooon, wedding, romantic weekend, etc. Just know that they no longer have mineral water pools/hot tubs due to many of the springs have dried up and the ones that are left are contaminated.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Cindy C
Omaha
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Contray to another Omaha couples opinion, my husband and I's stay was amazing! We also purchased a groupon and fully intend to make the trip again. The staff was extremely friendly and went out of their way to make us feel welcome on our honeymoon getaway. Our waitress in the bar even took the time to get me hot chocolate from the closed café even though it technically wasn't offered, and then comped the drink for the wait! Eric, the GM, took time to introduce himself to us, remembered seeing us going into the spa the previous day, and even filled us in on some of the Elms history. For a historic hotel, the rooms were spacious and completely updated. The grotto experience was fantastic, especially the salt and rose petal scrub and peppermint soaked towels. I thought my husband would be miserable doing a "spa day" with me, but he enjoyed himself just as much as I did! We will definitely recommend The Elms to friends and family as well as return ourselves! Thank you for an amazing getaway!!!

• Stayed October 2013
Reston, Virginia
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Once again I stayed at the Elms for a better part of a week and once again I was blown away by their customer service. Logan at the front desk always goes above and beyond personalizing his service to each guest, a rare and fine way to go about treating a road weary guest. Kristina was outstanding as was a guest services woman named Shelly I believe. Hard to remember certain names because everyone was so intent on providing excellent service. I am on the road 90% of the time for business and I have yet to find a more welcoming staff and a better hotel to stay at than the Elms; f4rom the rooms to the gym and the pool it's a wonderful extremely well kept place to relax and de-stress after a long day of work!
Thanks again to the staff and the managment for a great stay!

Room Tip: All I have ever stayed in were great.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank js4343
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed October 22, 2013

we purchased a groupon, drove three hours for a getaway from Omaha. I had a bad feeling immediately upon seeing the hotel. it looks straight out of a horror film, not kidding. my hisband and I tried to stay positive as we walked into the lobby..very dark and gloomy. The gentleman checking us in was super rude to my husband. We go up to our room only to find that it is literally the size of a closet and felt extremely confining. Damp, humid feel and small bathroom left us both wanting to leave ASAP! They showed us another room but it wasn't any different.Luckily groupon refunded us due to the terrible experience. We left within ten minutes of being there and went elsewhere! you couldnt pay me to go back.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank sg1216
Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

The Elms offers comfort in beautifully restored historic hotel. Our room was a comfortable suite, with a wet bar, mini fridge, living room and dining table, TV, all separate from the spacious bedroom, also with TV, super comfortable bed and soft linens, and bathroom with separate jacuzzi tub, marble subway tile shower and marble basket weave tile floor. Those historic touches are throughout the hotel.

We stayed on the fourth floor and found it quiet at night, but even though it was midweek (with the objective to avoid any scheduled weddings), there was a very large conference at the same time. This made for a noisy and crowded lobby at times and I overheard some guests complaining about noise that kept them awake. So ask for a quiet floor when you book.

Spend some time walking the grounds and enjoying the outdoor pool and grotto. There's a nice fitness center and lap pool too. The spa services are a bit pricey but any of the services gives you a free pass to the grotto, which is amazing. (We were taken on a tour of the spa and grotto promises late evening while no guests were there).

We appreciated that all staff we met were not only friendly and accommodating, but were knowledgable and well trained. The restaurant was okay, but I think they're trying too hard and would do better with a more menu featuring well prepared local and season foods without all the rich sauces.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Johnson City, TN
Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

For women stayed in a queen suite for a college reunion fun weekend. I was concerned it would be too tight but it was perfect. The sitting room was roomy enough for all of us. It also was handy when one person wanted to get up earlier than everyone else.

We planned to use the great spa there and were able to take showers down there so so sharing the bathroom was not a big issue. The spa is great and the hotel is within walking distance to some small "old timey" shops.

The hotel appears to be used a lot for weddings and special events.

• Stayed October 2013
#4 of 109 in Kansas City
Higher Ground Hotel
Higher Ground Hotel
#2 of 18 in Independence

Been to The Elms Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!